#321 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

@ESPNAndyKatz Lost amid a May firing for a head coach is how hard it can hit the assistants. Head coach gets buyout ($4 mil for Robinson). Assistants?

Not enough attention is paid to this part of the story IMO. The assistants don't make the kind of $$$ that the head coaches nor do they have the length of contract. Robinson will be fine, but the assistants are going to have harder time finding work at this point.

@levineps

#322 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

Sports Illustrated: Source: Coach Craig Robinson fired by Oregon State

*Insert some sort of political joke here*

Thanks, Obama.

@DJ_McCann

#323 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

Why would you fire him in May?

Allowing Nick Faust ot join your team could be viewed as a fireable offense.

• Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe and 2 others like this

#324 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Why would you fire him in May?

The local scribes say that the AD was wavering the whole time and simply changed his mind. Probably the backlash from boosters and fans helped them to find the $ they needed to do it. Most everyone was shocked DeCarolis decided initially to keep him, especially after a couple comments Robinson made at the end of the season.

#325 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

Canzano: Bob De Carolis knew he was wrong to keep Craig Robinson, and had to fix it

It's a big thing for a man in a position such as head of the athletic department to admit he was wrong. De Carolis was reminded on a daily basis as donors emailed to say they weren't giving a penny with Robinson around and droves of season-ticket holders weren't going to renew. OSU players such as Hallice Cooke and others announced they'd had enough. Boosters were done. And at some point, De Carolis must have looked around and asked himself, "Why am I the only person still supporting this?"

I'd felt in the days around that letter [announcing Robinson would be back] that De Carolis was wavering. Even in the hours before I could feel De Carolis trying to find a clean way out of this, and I reported that the sides appeared to be moving further apart. Remember, Robinson had finished the season with an embarrassing home loss to Radford, then commented after, "If I get fired, it's been nice knowing you guys."

That remark alone put De Carolis in a terrible position. The ultimate insult from an embattled coach to his boss. Robinson was daring the AD to fire him.

Robinson was 93-104 in his time at OSU. The Beavers athletic department had withstood cries in the past to fire the football assistant coaches, or get rid of Mike Riley after a bad loss. Those things eventually die down over a few days, but according to one athletic department insider with Robinson, "It was non-stop, day after day, fans in the super market surrounding staffers, saying 'We're never buying tickets, we're not coming back.'"

No starters coming back.

No tickets sold.

Worst of all, no hope.

Robinson kept a tight circle around the Oregon State athletic department. He wasn't a monster to his fellow employees, but he had a way of chapping his co-workers. He threw players under the bus after tough losses, including the 24-point loss against Washington earlier this season in which the coach said his players, "got caught up in enormity of the situation." Also, Robinson went on his own weekly radio show and predicted his team, despite losing all of its senior leadership, would surely reach the NCAA tournament next season. Administrators in Corvallis nearly drove their cars off the road when they heard it.

#326 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

I saw a bunch of comments about how shocked people were that Craig Robinson got the boot given the publicity that Oregon State had as a result of employing a close relative to Obama. I'm not at all, I expected him to get fired last year. I thought he might survive this year moreso because of $. At the end of the day, it's about wins/losses and he just didn't win enough. The other stuff, only helps(or hurts) so much.

What am I surprised about is the timing however.

@levineps

#327 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

....given the publicity that Oregon State had as a result of employing a close relative to Obama.

If you look on Google News, half the headlines say "Oregon State Fires Michelle Obama's Brother." His firing has probably given them as much publicity as his tenure did.

#328 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

@johncanzanobft Indiana coach Tom Crean has reached out to Oregon State AD Bob De Carolis, per source, to advocate for Hoosiers assistant Steve McClain.

@levineps

#329 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

Canzano: Important window in Oregon State basketball coaching search

Here's his handicap on the candidates:

Damon Stoudamire, Arizona assistant, (Odds: 3 to 1)

Eric Musselman, Arizona State assistant (Odds 7 to 1)

Wayne Tinkle, Montana (Odds: 12 to 1)

Terry Porter, Timberwolves assistant (Odds: 15 to 1)

Steve McClain, Indiana University assistant (Odds 18 to 1)

Gary Close, Wisconsin assistant, (Odds 50 to 1)

David Grace, UCLA assistant (Odds: 500 to 1)

Falling off the board:

Ben Howland, ex-UCLA coach: Withdrew his name. Financial impasse?

Lionel Hollins (NBA): Getting some support from boosters, but Hollins wants to be in the NBA.

Lester Conner (NBA assistant): Job posting requires a college degree. Conner doesn't have one. So he's out.

Marvin Menzies (New Mexico State) Insider at OSU tells me the hiring committee is not interested in a coach who relied on International players.

Russell Turner (UC Irvine): Great coach, but not splashy enough for a school that needs badly to make a splash.

Dan Monson (Long Beach State): No interest from Monson or Oregon State at this point.

#330 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Who wouldn't give anything to have Damon Stoudamire back in Oregon with marijuana legal?

@DJ_McCann

#331 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

Canzano: Important window in Oregon State basketball coaching search

Here's his handicap on the candidates:

Damon Stoudamire, Arizona assistant, (Odds: 3 to 1)

Eric Musselman, Arizona State assistant (Odds 7 to 1)

Wayne Tinkle, Montana (Odds: 12 to 1)

Terry Porter, Timberwolves assistant (Odds: 15 to 1)

Steve McClain, Indiana University assistant (Odds 18 to 1)

Gary Close, Wisconsin assistant, (Odds 50 to 1)

David Grace, UCLA assistant (Odds: 500 to 1)

Falling off the board:

Ben Howland, ex-UCLA coach: Withdrew his name. Financial impasse?

Lionel Hollins (NBA): Getting some support from boosters, but Hollins wants to be in the NBA.

Lester Conner (NBA assistant): Job posting requires a college degree. Conner doesn't have one. So he's out.

Marvin Menzies (New Mexico State) Insider at OSU tells me the hiring committee is not interested in a coach who relied on International players.

Russell Turner (UC Irvine): Great coach, but not splashy enough for a school that needs badly to make a splash.

Dan Monson (Long Beach State): No interest from Monson or Oregon State at this point.

I've seen this elsewhere as well with identifying, Eric Musselman still at ASU -- he's not. He left pretty quietly.

@levineps

#332 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Oregon State to name Wayne Tinkle as Beavers' men's basketball coach Monday 

As the comments to the article indicate, an underwhelming hire that isn't going to sell any tickets.

#333 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

ESPNWhich are college hoops' bad jobs?

If this had been written 5 years ago, Colorado would've been on it. Interesting subject.

@levineps

#334 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

Marquette on that list is a joke.

Also numerous factual errors in that article. Poor effort by Medcalf.

#335 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

Marquette on that list is a joke.

Also numerous factual errors in that article. Poor effort by Medcalf.

What factual errors are there? Any other schools you don't think should belong? These things are always subjective. The fact Buzz Williams left Marquette; makes their inclusion possible IMO. He might've overstated it as one of the "bad" jobs, but I don't think it's without merit.

If we're really talking about "bad jobs" no BCS conference or high caliber schools would be listed. Also no one would care to read this if it was composed of the Coastal Carolinas/Coppin States of the world. 

@levineps

#336 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

1. It has since been deleted, but the original article had MU playing at US Cellular Arena, which they haven't played in for 20 years. They play at the NNA Bucks' BMO Harris Center.

2. The anti-Big East brigade is out again. Marquette is making $4 million a year from the FS1 contract. So "and the Golden Eagles are residents of a Big East that lacks the lucrative TV deal that the old Big East commanded. That's a problem for a Marquette team that spends significantly more per participant than any other Big East school" is absurd.

3. "The Golden Eagles could use more cash." Alright, so could I.

Just really poorly researched. I'm not defending ESPN commenters, but when nearly 90% are calling Medcalf out on factual errors in Marquette's blurb and others (Minnesota, Clemson), then that shows me this is a really dumb article. When someone writes mistakes like those, I can't really take anything he or she writes seriously.

#337 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

1. It has since been deleted, but the original article had MU playing at US Cellular Arena, which they haven't played in for 20 years. They play at the NNA Bucks' BMO Harris Center.

2. The anti-Big East brigade is out again. Marquette is making $4 million a year from the FS1 contract. So "and the Golden Eagles are residents of a Big East that lacks the lucrative TV deal that the old Big East commanded. That's a problem for a Marquette team that spends significantly more per participant than any other Big East school" is absurd.

3. "The Golden Eagles could use more cash." Alright, so could I.

Just really poorly researched. I'm not defending ESPN commenters, but when nearly 90% are calling Medcalf out on factual errors in Marquette's blurb and others (Minnesota, Clemson), then that shows me this is a really dumb article. When someone writes mistakes like those, I can't really take anything he or she writes seriously.

Good call on #1, that's really unacceptable especially for a Milwaukee native. Some other good points, not sure how much Marquette is making off the BE contract compares to other big schools in mbb revenue. 

@levineps

#338 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Good call on #1, that's really unacceptable especially for a Milwaukee native. Some other good points, not sure how much Marquette is making off the BE contract compares to other big schools in mbb revenue. 

They were making about $1-2M with the old Big East ESPN contract, about $4M now.

#339 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

ESPNUF's Billy Donovan: No promises

Donovan said last week that he has been in contact with "several" NBA teams about head-coaching jobs. He declined again to say which teams, but reports say the Cleveland Cavaliers have shown interest.

"I think when you start making guarantees about life and start making guarantees about where you're going to be, that's not good because if for some reason I ever change my mind and did something, I wouldn't want (people) saying, 'Well, he promised, he guaranteed, he said this on record,'" Donovan said. "I just think when you start doing that, that's a mistake."

@levineps

#340 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

ESPNSean Miller agrees to extension

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic