439 replies to this topic

#421 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

I'll say no.  The odds of any one quarterback in the NFL winning a championship in the remainder of their career can't be better than 50/50.  Much more so for a guy who will be 37 next year.

But beyond just playing the odds, I'll also say no.  The Pats don't have a full squad that's good enough to win right now.  They certainly could get back there, they've been right there the last two seasons with teams that frankly weren't that good.  If Gronk is healthy, and the same impact, that makes them an elite offense even if all they have is him and Brady.  But the defense hasn't been strong either. 

One advantage is Brady's cap number will continue to be relatively low, between $13-15M, each year.  So his contract isn't much of a burden at all.  They just need to find some playmakers defensively.

#422 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I don't expect the Jets or Dolphins do improve much if at all. From all reports Miami is a disaster area. Players are wanting out, they just hired their 12th choice for GM who is basically powerless, and no one knows who is running the show outside of Ross.

New York needs an overhaul on offense.

I think the Bills are second best team in the division moving forward.

At any rate, it's still the Pats and everyone else.

I think if the Pats don't do it in 2014, that could be it for Brady as far as winning another title.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#423 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

I don't expect the Jets or Dolphins do improve much if at all. From all reports Miami is a disaster area. Players are wanting out, they just hired their 12th choice for GM who is basically powerless, and no one knows who is running the show outside of Ross.   New York needs an overhaul on offense.   I think the Bills are second best team in the division moving forward.   At any rate, it's still the Pats and everyone else.   I think if the Pats don't do it in 2014, that could be it for Brady as far as winning another title.

The jets are a couple of offensive weapons from being quite good. They have the best defense in the division already and their core is young.

#424 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

The jets are a couple of offensive weapons from being quite good. They have the best defense in the division already and their core is young.

Yeah, but the problem is one of those offensive weapons is a good QB. That's the hardest thing to find in football.

The Dolphins could start pushing the Pats in that division in the immediate future. For the next 3 years or so, where you probably put the end of Brady's window, I think NE is still the fav in the division. You make the playoffs you always have a chance. You win the division and get a home game, and potentially a bye, it raises those chances that much more.

Obviously, gun to my head Im saying no. He's old, there isn't a ton of talent around him currently, and it's just flat out hard to win a title. You always need a little bit of luck even if you're really good.

#425 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

You really think Spygate has anything to do with this? Come on.

@PeterDiLutis

#426 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

BTW: Everyone making the point about them playing in the East is exactly right. The Patriots have less let downs as a team than any team in the NFL IMO under Belichick. meaning, they don't lose the games that are the difference between 12-4 and a BYE and 10-6 and the 4 seed. 

I certainly don't see the other 3 teams in their division stepping up and over taking them in the next 2 years at least, so they should have a home game in the playoffs each of the next couple years and have the inside track on a BYE with their weak division.

@PeterDiLutis

#427 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

They have the best chance of any team in the AFC IMO.

#428 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Keep in mind the title of the thread is "will Brady win another SB". If the Pats make it back they still have to beat the Seahawks, Niners, Panthers or anyone of the other NFC teams (Saints, Eagles, Packers) who could make it to the SB in the next year or two. I don't know if the Pats have the talent to do that. And I think the balance of power in the NFL is shifting back to the NFC like it was in the early 1990's.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#429 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Pats could add a guy like Fitzgerald in the offseason.

#430 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

BTW: Everyone making the point about them playing in the East is exactly right. The Patriots have less let downs as a team than any team in the NFL IMO under Belichick. meaning, they don't lose the games that are the difference between 12-4 and a BYE and 10-6 and the 4 seed. 

I certainly don't see the other 3 teams in their division stepping up and over taking them in the next 2 years at least, so they should have a home game in the playoffs each of the next couple years and have the inside track on a BYE with their weak division.

The division is key. In the fourteen years starting in 2001, they've missed the playoffs twice. In the twelve years they made the playoffs, they had a bye eight times.

In the 13 years encompassing the two championships, the Ravens made the playoffs nine times, with two byes (2006 and 2011). The Eagles made the playoffs ten times over the past 14 years, and had three byes (2002-04).

EDIT: One more. The Packers have made the playoffs 16 times in 21 years. Four byes: 1996, 1997, 2007, 2011.

@DJ_McCann

#431 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

You really think Spygate has anything to do with this? Come on.

It's a good narrative, I think that's overplayed.

@levineps

#432 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Agreed. And it's not even close. 

@PeterDiLutis

#433 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

If you're making me bet. I would bet on the Pats being a playoff team next year. Mostly, as discussed, because I expect the division to continue to be weak.  However, it wouldn't shock me if they didn't make the playoffs.

There isn't a lot of talent there. I don't know how there cap situation looks, but a lot of smoke and mirrors up there this past year. 

#434 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

Even if that's true, knowing what we know now, it would be hard to give them more than a 20% chance of winning the AFC in a given year.

#435 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

If you're making me bet. I would bet on the Pats being a playoff team next year. Mostly, as discussed, because I expect the division to continue to be weak.  However, it wouldn't shock me if they didn't make the playoffs.

There isn't a lot of talent there. I don't know how there cap situation looks, but a lot of smoke and mirrors up there this past year. 

They ran the ball more effectively and often. They were forced to so who knows if they'll do that going forward but that is when the Pats were winning SB's, when they could run. Ever since Brady became a cyborg and put up video game stats they don't have a title.

And there is talent on the roster. It's just young and developing. They'll be better next year than this year.

#436 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

The Pats just weren't that good this year.  They are primed for a regression.  They won a ton of close games against marginal teams.  The early Jets/Buffalo games were before Wilfork and Rivers went down too.

@ Buffalo 23-21

vs Jets 13-10

@ Houston 34-31

vs Cleveland 27-26

They lost both @Miami and @Jets this year too.  I'm not saying they won't win the division, but I'm not sure locking them into a bye, for the next 3 years is anywhere near a sure thing.

I still think this is all predicated on Brady's health.  Assuming a 37 year old man in the NFL is going to stay healthy is risky.  Especially if you stretch that over a 3 year period and he's 40 by the end of it, I'd be surprised if he doesn't miss significant time.

#437 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

TMZ Sports: Aaron Hernandez attacks another inmate in jail

http://www.tmz.com/2...attacks-inmate/

We're told Hernandez recognized the other inmate and launched into an attack -- beating the other man up pretty badly. 

Sources tell us ... Hernandez and the other man had been beefing all day long. One source says the other guy had been harassing Aaron nonstop. Clearly, Hernandez was pissed.

@levineps

#438 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

I thought some team would drastically overs spend for Revis, but it was a good deal he got with the Pats. He should have another year or two of high level play in him.

Talib was big and physical.... Revis plays different, but gives them the direct replacement.

#439 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying:

http://profootballta...injury-reports/

#440 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

The guy will clearly do anything to win.

Honestly, this sort of stuff puts Brady/Belichick in a new light to me -- I mean, Brady looked amazing, but he knew the damn defensive plays he was facing.  If I'm playing Madden, and I know what defense is being called, I can take advantage of that all day.

Interesting.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=