#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

With any luck, this is the same vote of confidence schools give their embattled coaches three days before canning them.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

He's a piece of garbage....he needs to go ASAP.

Of course, he is a perfect figure head for the corrupt NCAA.

I wish he would agree to a no holds barred interview with Bilas.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

He's a piece of garbage....he needs to go ASAP.

Of course, he is a perfect figure head for the corrupt NCAA.

I wish he would agree to a no holds barred interview with Bilas.

The idea of a real independent "commissioner" in the style of Kenesaw Mountain Landis is long gone -- having to answer to no one, doing as s/he sees fit, and having an indefinite contract. I suppose it's actually probably a good thing that there is some checks and balances, so this person doesn't get too powerful and become a tyrannt. However, they've become too much on the side of management, in this case, the college administrators and can't divorce themselves from that if they want to remain in charge. I think it was David Stern who said, he had 30 bosses.
@levineps

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

The idea of a real independent "commissioner" in the style of Kenesaw Mountain Landis is long gone -- having to answer to no one, doing as s/he sees fit, and having an indefinite contract. I suppose it's actually probably a good thing that there is some checks and balances, so this person doesn't get too powerful and become a tyrannt. However, they've become too much on the side of management, in this case, the college administrators and can't divorce themselves from that if they want to remain in charge. I think it was David Stern who said, he had 30 bosses.

The problem is that his leadership has led to this whole Miami fiasco, which I can easily see becoming a gigantic issue for the NCAA if they try to come down hard on the school; they are going to sue, sue, sue. He has also presided over the seismic changes in conference landscape, and outside of the top football schools I doubt anyone else really sees that as a good thing.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

The problem is that his leadership has led to this whole Miami fiasco, which I can easily see becoming a gigantic issue for the NCAA if they try to come down hard on the school; they are going to sue, sue, sue. He has also presided over the seismic changes in conference landscape, and outside of the top football schools I doubt anyone else really sees that as a good thing.

The conference changes are largely out of his control, maybe he could do more to stop it?, I doubt it. This started under Myles Brand with the BC/Miami/VT defections. I don't think it really matters who is NCAA Presidents in these terms, it would've happened under anyone. And yeah it's not a good thing besides football, but that's what drives the big bucks. Not a whole lot of $$$ is being made in those other sports (besides basketball in some cases), if at all. How much sense does it make for the sports teams left at Maryland to be traveling to Nebraska in the middle of the week in the dead of winter?
@levineps

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

The conference changes are largely out of his control, maybe he could do more to stop it?, I doubt it. This started under Myles Brand with the BC/Miami/VT defections. I don't think it really matters who is NCAA Presidents in these terms, it would've happened under anyone.

Maybe, but a better NCAA president, who actually cares about athletes and education, would create an environment where pure greed is less important, while putting his power behind the scenes in preventing some changes.

Lord only knows the force Emmert will yield against the O'Bannon case.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Maybe, but a better NCAA president, who actually cares about athletes and education, would create an environment where pure greed is less important, while putting his power behind the scenes in preventing some changes.

Lord only knows the force Emmert will yield against the O'Bannon case.

College athletics has become way too big and I'm saying that as a college sports fan. I don't see it going back at this point, regardless of who is NCAA President, just like all the major sports commissioners, they'll be lightning rod for controversy. Could there be an improvement from Emmert, possibly, but I don't see the person who will be widely accepted. Back to our earlier discussion on sports being the "front porch" of the College or University, I think that mentality that major schools will feel the need to do what it takes to win. I'm not saying win-at-all costs, although some schools will/surely doing it. I just don't see the greed factor disappearing -- looking at the TV contracts.
@levineps

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

College athletics has become way too big and I'm saying that as a college sports fan. I don't see it going back at this point, regardless of who is NCAA President, just like all the major sports commissioners, they'll be lightning rod for controversy. Could there be an improvement from Emmert, possibly, but I don't see the person who will be widely accepted. Back to our earlier discussion on sports being the "front porch" of the College or University, I think that mentality that major schools will feel the need to do what it takes to win. I'm not saying win-at-all costs, although some schools will/surely doing it. I just don't see the greed factor disappearing -- looking at the TV contracts.

The schools themselves will never let the greed go. They will fight for that money, and try to get around the rules, and try to win at all costs. That's why there is an NCAA in the first place: to create an organization with the power to police the various programs and set an overall tone of leadership for all of college athletics.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

The schools themselves will never let the greed go. They will fight for that money, and try to get around the rules, and try to win at all costs. That's why there is an NCAA in the first place: to create an organization with the power to police the various programs and set an overall tone of leadership for all of college athletics.

Yeah and who hires the NCAA President? It might have been the mission of the organization 100 years ago and still technically it, but that's not how it works today. Way too idealistic.
@levineps

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Yeah and who hires the NCAA President? It might have been the mission of the organization 100 years ago and still technically it, but that's not how it works today. Way too idealistic.

Pragmatic.

If no one trusts the schools OR the NCAA, bad things happen. People stop watching and attending games. Alumni stop donating. Governments overseeing the public schools, student bodies at public and private ones, and Congress start asking questions about financial priorities. Dogs and cats living together. The whole system collapses.

When you are having credibility problems, you fine someone to put in charge who can fix things; more importantly, who can make people believe things are being fixed. That's who the NCAA needs.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Pragmatic.

If no one trusts the schools OR the NCAA, bad things happen. People stop watching and attending games. Alumni stop donating. Governments overseeing the public schools, student bodies at public and private ones, and Congress start asking questions about financial priorities. Dogs and cats living together. The whole system collapses.

When you are having credibility problems, you fine someone to put in charge who can fix things; more importantly, who can make people believe things are being fixed. That's who the NCAA needs.

If that were the case, they would've been in trouble a long time ago.

I think Penn State was a good example of that this year even if there attendance was somewhat down (still better than it should've been). People will rally behind "their" school.
@levineps

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

If that were the case, they would've been in trouble a long time ago.

I think Penn State was a good example of that this year even if there attendance was somewhat down (still better than it should've been). People will rally behind "their" school.

That's not a similar issue. That's a situation where a student and alumni body believed, accurately or not, that the whole was being unjustly punished for the actions of a very view.

The NCAA is supposed to keep the colleges as a group honest. If the general public believes they aren't and the competitions aren't fair, people aren't going to "rally" behind their school, unless it is a protest against funding the athletic department.

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

That's not a similar issue. That's a situation where a student and alumni body believed, accurately or not, that the whole was being unjustly punished for the actions of a very view.

The NCAA is supposed to keep the colleges as a group honest. If the general public believes they aren't and the competitions aren't fair, people aren't going to "rally" behind their school, unless it is a protest against funding the athletic department.

I don't think 90k showed up as a "protest." I think they continued to support their school. If they were losing, people wouldn't be protesting, they'd stop showing up.

I'm just not buying what you are saying sorry. People will continue to show up.
@levineps

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

I don't think 90k showed up as a "protest." I think they continued to support their school. If they were losing, people wouldn't be protesting, they'd stop showing up.

I'm just not buying what you are saying sorry. People will continue to show up.

Not if the sports aren't fair.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Not if the sports aren't fair.

Well they aren't, corruption exists, and people still show up.
@levineps

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Well they aren't, corruption exists, and people still show up.

Really, you don't think the competitions in the NCAA are fair? The football games aren't fair? The basketball games aren't fair? The gymnastics competitions aren't fair?

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Gee, what a shocker. The inmate runs the asylum.

http://www.usatoday....nn-lsu/2047607/

Six years after Mark Emmert left his job at the University of Connecticut, the governor of Connecticut ordered an investigation into a massive construction project on campus that had been ravaged by scandal, including more than $100 million lost because of mismanagement. To find out where things went wrong, the investigators looked at old papers of Emmert, who once supervised the project as UConn's chancellor. They soon found a bombshell.

Memos from 1998-99 showed that Emmert and two other top UConn officials knew about the construction project's big problems then, but failed to disclose them to the school's board of trustees or the state legislature. The other two officials ultimately resigned after being placed on leave. The third — Emmert — went on to become president of the NCAA

Then there's this from his time at LSU:

At LSU, an academic fraud scandal emerged in the football program under then-coach Nick Saban in 2001-02. Emmert oversaw an investigation into the allegations made by a university instructor that eventually acknowledged five minor and isolated violations and declared most of the claims "unfounded."

Emmert even met on LSU's behalf with the NCAA, which accepted LSU's findings. But after Emmert decided to leave LSU in 2004, a witness testified in a deposition that the instructor was telling the truth and that the problems were far more systemic than the school admitted, even extending to grades being changed for football players, according to court records. The culture was "appalling" and "like Romper Room," the employee said in 2004 testimony.

...and Montana State:

The NCAA ruled that Montana State was guilty of a "lack of institutional control" in 1993 — the same time Emmert belonged to the university's senior management team along with Jim Isch, now Emmert's chief operating officer at the NCAA. The case related to academic fraud involving an assistant men's basketball coach and a recruit. The NCAA didn't rule on the case until after Emmert left for UConn in 1995. Emmert, who was Montana State's provost and vice president for academic affairs, told USA TODAY Sports he wasn't aware of the case and he did not oversee athletics at Montana State.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=