#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Well there goes the positive momentum from the Duke win and much of the progress gained toward making the tourney.

#43 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

I would pay $50 for someone to ask Turgeon his opinion of this team's execution.

#44 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Roddy Peters can't get here soon enough.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Well there goes the positive momentum from the Duke win and much of the progress gained toward making the tourney.

Yep, basically have to win out in the regular season now. I can't see them making the tourney at 10-8 unless they get at least two wins, with that second game likely to be against Miami or Duke.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

I was thinking they needed to go 4-2 in their last 6 games entering tonight (and maybe win 1 in the ACCT) to make the tournament. This game certainly kills any momentum from beating Duke, and significantly lowers their chances of dancing.

4-1 in the next 5 will give them a chance, but now they have to win 1 of 2 vs. UNC and at UVA.

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

I was thinking they needed to go 4-2 in their last 6 games entering tonight (and maybe win 1 in the ACCT) to make the tournament. This game certainly kills any momentum from beating Duke, and significantly lowers their chances of dancing.

4-1 in the next 5 will give them a chance, but now they have to win 1 of 2 vs. UNC and at UVA.

This is a very bad loss. BC is like 140 or 150 in the RPI. Had they gone 4-2 with the losses against UVA and UNC then they'd have a shot at 10-8 and just a first-round win the the ACC tournament. I don't think 4-2 with a loss and BC and splitting with UNC/UVA gets them in unless they can win that 2nd game against Duke or Miami.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

This is a very bad loss. BC is like 140 or 150 in the RPI. Had they gone 4-2 with the losses against UVA and UNC then they'd have a shot at 10-8 and just a first-round win the the ACC tournament. I don't think 4-2 with a loss and BC and splitting with UNC/UVA gets them in unless they can win that 2nd game against Duke or Miami.

There would be no practical difference to their resume, going 4-0 vs. @BC, Clemson, @Georgia Tech, @Wake Forest, and 0-2 vs. UNC, and @UVA.... or going 3-1@BC, Clemson, @Georgia Tech, @Wake Forest, and 1-1 vs. UNC, and @UVA.

They now have 1 bad loss, but the difference would be another good win. I think that evens out.

Regardless, that really isn't what matters. They lost to a bad a team they needed to beat. The fact that they couldn't get this win, tells a lot. I don't have a lot of confidence of going 4-1 in the next 5.

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

There would be no practical difference to their resume, going 4-0 vs. @BC, Clemson, @Georgia Tech, @Wake Forest, and 0-2 vs. UNC, and @UVA.... or going 3-1@BC, Clemson, @Georgia Tech, @Wake Forest, and 1-1 vs. UNC, and @UVA.

They now have 1 bad loss, but the difference would be another good win. I think that evens out.

Regardless, that really isn't what matters. They lost to a bad a team they needed to beat. The fact that they couldn't get this win, tells a lot. I don't have a lot of confidence of going 4-1 in the next 5.

If it's UNC, that probably evens out the loss. The loss to BC is worse than a win over UVA is good, though.

If they don't win out, they won't make the tournament unless they pull off another win against Miami or Duke in the 2nd round. I'm guessing we won't end up seeing either a 5-0 or 4-1 finish, so this argument will be moot, but I'll be completely shocked (happily so) if they end up going 4-1, get only one ACC tournament win, and still make the NCAA.

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

I agreed with this then and agree with it now. Probably bounces them from the first four out to the next four out. You typically don't go up or down one whole seed, even with a good victory or bad loss as we saw after they beat Duke. Bad loss, but I think they can still make it without winning the ACC Tourney, margin for error is down though.
@levineps

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

They need road wins.

UNC win would ok but nothing like the past.

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'll tell you whats sad. I was so pumped for this season. I did not even know they were playing last night. I was busy during the day and play pick up ball at night. If I had known they were on i would've watched. The point is, if I was as invested in this team and this season as I wanted and should be I would've known their schedule by heart. I would have known they were playing last night without needing to think about looking up their schedule to see when they play again. I really thought watching MD basketball wouldn't be a chore again this year but not only is it a chore, they make me want to pull my hair out half the time with their stupid play.

#53 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I haven't watched much of this team this year, but more than I have in the last few years, but this team just looks awful every time I see them. They only seem to score points on 3-pointers and free throws. They have no inside scoring threat, and they never seem to set-up a half-court offense. It's always a sloppy fast break that leads to missed shots or turnovers.

There was talk about Len going to the NBA, I wonder if he is good enough to start for MD.

Maybe they'll be better next year. They are a young team.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I haven't watched much of this team this year, but more than I have in the last few years, but this team just looks awful every time I see them. They only seem to score points on 3-pointers and free throws. They have no inside scoring threat, and they never seem to set-up a half-court offense. It's always a sloppy fast break that leads to missed shots or turnovers.

There was talk about Len going to the NBA, I wonder if he is good enough to start for MD.

Maybe they'll be better next year. They are a young team.

They are 29th in the country in FG%, and that is because of their ability to score inside. It's certainly not because of their shooting ability. Only Aronhalt really qualifies as a plus shooter (and to a lesser extent Layman, and Allen).

They look horrible in a 1/2 court offense because PG is such an issue for them. There have been games where Len could do a better job of getting position in the post, but the primary issue is that his teammates have trouble getting him the ball.

His games against Kentucky, and Duke... and his combination of size, athleticism, and skill set are still going to be enough for him to be picked highly (lottery) in the coming Draft.

#55 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Stoner, how much of a difference do you think Peters will make on this offense, even as a freshman?

@bopper33

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Stoner, how much of a difference do you think Peters will make on this offense, even as a freshman?

I think he helps, and is probably a better option than anyone they currently have... but he had season ending shoulder surgery in December, and is typically described as a combo guard. Asking him to come in as Freshman and be able to run the show completely is probably going to be too much to ask.

I've heard he is really good in the open court, but has to improve in the 1/2 court.

Let's think about the team next year... assuming you lose Len. (Of course you also lose Aronhalt, and Padgett.)

Guards: Faust (Jr) Howard (Sr), Allen (Soph), Peters (Freshman)
Wings: Wells (Jr), Layman (Soph)
Bigs: Cleare (Soph), Mitchell (Soph), Smotrycz (Jr), Dodd (Freshman)

Smotrycz will be important to provide another spot-up shooter. Cleare and Mitchell should be fine as post scorers. It would be great if Dodd was capable of giving the minutes that Cleare and Mitchell are providing now.

Wells is shooting 30% from 3 on 1.8 attempts per. Last year he made 37% of his 3's on 1.7 attempts per. Maybe he improves?

You need more scoring from Faust. His lack of offensive development this year is one of the biggest disappointments to me. He was good at the end of last year with the ball in his hands. He was getting to the rim at will. For the 2nd straight year, he is shooting under 30% from 3. His inability to consistently knock down shots is a huge issue for MD.

I'm a big fan of both Allen and Layman. They are both going to continue to get a lot of time obviously. I do wonder how MD will play with both Layman and Smotrycz on the floor together. While they could spread teams out offensively, that seems like it could be a defensive issue.

#57 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

So our PG prospects look bleak for next year too?

Stevie Blake where have you gone?

@bopper33

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

So our PG prospects look bleak for next year too?

Stevie Blake where have you gone?

That's why Bnickle has been suggesting MD needs to go get a JUCO pg as well. I'm in agreement that would be ideal, but you still have to find and identify that player.

I saw Testudo Times say the other day that there were no available JUCO PGs of note to even target at this stage.

Maybe there is another 5th year Senior out there somewhere?

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

I've seen the q's pop-up about Len being NBA material and we've discussed this before in-depth, so I'll try not to be redundant. I think Chris hit it with what he brings to the table isn't so much found on stat sheets but his make-up -- they just don't grow on trees. The more exposed he is with games such as last night, the more he'll drop but I don't think that happens since he's a commodity. It's for this reason if I'm Len and just looking out for myself, I go to the NBA. I know the counter-argument about development, but it's not a one-way street, players have fallen.
@levineps

#60 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

That's why Bnickle has been suggesting MD needs to go get a JUCO pg as well. I'm in agreement that would be ideal, but you still have to find and identify that player.

I saw Testudo Times say the other day that there were no available JUCO PGs of note to even target at this stage.

Maybe there is another 5th year Senior out there somewhere?

Juco, late signee or transfer. They absolutely have to find someone else to bring in to handle and distribute the basketball. This team will likely be just as inconsistent next year if they don't find a solid PG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=