• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Maryland came into tonight 75th overall in RPI, with the 113th Strength of Schedule, and 61st in the Ken Pomeroy ratings.

With the win, they are now 18-7 overall, 6-6 in the ACC with 6 regular season games remaining:

2/19 @ BC
2/23 Clemson
2/27 @ Georgia Tech
3/2 @ Wake Forest
3/6 UNC
3/10 @ UVA

What happens now? What do you expect Maryland to do in these 6 games?

I think MD would be in pretty decent shape for the Tournament if they can go 4-2 in this stretch. I would expect them to make the dance with a 4-2 stretch, and 1 win in the ACCT. Anything less than that probably has them sweating.

The UVA home loss still hurts with 4 road games looming. Getting that home win vs. UNC, and a road win at UVA would be huge.

Will be interesting to see just how much MD jumps in RPI and SOS with the Duke win.

The goal should not be just backing into the dance though. MD showed they do have the capability of playing with very good teams. They didn't play excellent today against Duke, but they played hard. They battled on every possession. Would be great to see them go on a real run over the remaining regular season and ACCT games, and eliminate any doubt about them being selected.

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

I'm already sweating the BC game.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I'm already sweating the BC game.

Absolutely. Maryland can win and lose each of these 6 games. The turnovers are a negative equalizer in the games where they have the talent advantage. Also having 4 of these 6 games on the road will be difficult.

My hope is that the win today gives them the mindset that they could achieve more.

It could just as easily be easy for them to mentally let down after raising their intensity today. That would be disappointing, but understandable.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

MD is still out....but this win puts them in position to get in.

They have to win road games now though.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

Joe Lunardi's Bracket update as of 11:50 PM, 2/16:

NO. 1 SEEDS
Midwest: Indiana
East: Miami
South: Florida
West: Duke
(No. 5 on the S-curve: Gonzaga)

LAST FOUR IN
Virginia
Arizona State
Villanova
California

FIRST FOUR OUT
Kentucky
Temple
Indiana State
Maryland

http://espn.go.com/b... ... y-update-8

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

Like I said earlier, the upcoming Miami dook game is likely for a #1 seed. I doubt both Miami and dook take one.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Who the hell knows what happens. This team could win or lose every single remaining game.

I think 10-8 and two ACC wins gives us a good chance to get in. A lot will depend on the bubble and how much it gets squeezed.

#8 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'd guess 3-3 or 4-2 and we squeak in. I'd love to see them go on a run though. We have plenty of talent, just need a PG.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

After sleeping on it, this wasn't a MD win over Duke that inspires a lot of confidence in me that they are about to go on a run. They still played very poorly in many aspects. The Turnovers were absolutely abysmal, and at terrible times of the game... and had Duke better taken advantage of that, they'd have easily won last night.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to beat Duke, and it definitively DOES help our resume significantly. MD will still need to play a lot better than they did last night if they plan to dance though, IMHO.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

4-2 with an ACC Tourney win should do it as of now with an emphasis on road&neutral victories
. Anything else would be icing on the cake. Great win over Duke as Lunardi's latest rankings illustrate a single win or loss will only help or hurt you by one seed. The win meant a lot sentimentally but they can build on it.
@levineps

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

In the game thread, Mackus was right about the half court offense finally looking great. That's a huge take away. Still need to fix turnovers, even if just a little bit, but if they can actually run a nice half court game against team's like Virginia, that'll be huge.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Testudo Times: Bubble Watch: Terps' tournament hopes revived
http://www.testudoti...with-duke-upset

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Looks the RPI has jumped from 75th to 62nd.
SOS goes from 113th to 90th.
61st to 56th in the KenPom Ratings.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Like I said earlier, the upcoming Miami dook game is likely for a #1 seed. I doubt both Miami and dook take one.

I think if Miami wins the regular season game, but then Duke wins the ACC tournament over Miami, that both could get #1 seeds. The Big 10 teams keep beating each other up, which could prevent them from grabbing two #1s depending on how they end up finishing.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Looks the RPI has jumped from 75th to 62nd.
SOS goes from 113th to 90th.
61st to 56th in the KenPom Ratings.

I must say I'm pretty surprised by those jumps. I'd like to argue that many other games were played involving different teams, but I won't -- I'm really shocked.
@levineps

#16 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think MD goes 4-2. What's not being talked about is their schedule gets much, much, MUCH easier for the next four games. There frankly is no excuse to lose to BC, Clemson, Wake, and Georgia Tech. I don't care that three of those games are on the road, NCAA Tourney teams win those games.

I don't think they beat UNC and I very highly doubt they win at UVA on their Senior night (though I think UNC is a winnable game).

I think that gets UM dancing, but just barely. 1 win the ACC Tourney should seal it up.
Perception is reality.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

10-8 would make me very nervous, even with one ACC tournament win.

I think they'll have to get to 11-7 to be considered in heading to Greensboro. At 10-8, they'll still have work left to do, and it may take more than just one win.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Bottomline, like I've seen they can win every game and they can lose every game... yeah. It's conference play, there's no cupcakes left. That said, I doubt they do either. They probably finish 4-2 and with an ACC Tourney win, that should get them in. Anything better is a bonus.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=