5 replies to this topic

#1 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Just a rundown of who could potentially replace some of the players we are likely to lose to free agency. I know some of these are going to be somewhat of a stretch but some of these guys are going to be getting more reps in camp regardless.

I stayed away from the draft aspect of it somewhat. I just wanted to highlight who might get a chance who currently has a roster spot.

FS Ed Reed:

The most likely player to replace Ed is probably Omar Brown. The undrafted free agent has a solid preseason in 2012 intercepting 1 pass and recovering 3 fumbles. Christian Thompson is another canidate but he's probably better suited as a strong safety. Jimmy Smith could also be an option as he's physical, has decent coverage skills and is less likely to be exposed to double moves and looks playing centerfield. Lardarius Webb was once a rumored option but that's before he's developed into a shutdown corner.

DE Paul Kruger:

This is an interesting one for me. In terms of pure pass rusher, I think Adrian Hamilton is going to get a chance to prove himself. It will be a big offseason for him. DeAngelo Tyson will likely compete for snaps as well but I think he lacks the speed and pop of a true pass rusher. Courtney Upshaw is probably the most well rounded option but I think he could move to inside linebacker if Ellerbe departs.

ILB Dannell Ellerbe:

As mentioned, Courtney Upshaw could see some action here but probably lacks the coverage skills to make him an ideal candidate. Josh Bynes is quick and seemed to play OK during Ellerbe's absence in 2012. Could it be Jameel McClain's job to lose? To me, McClain could become a cap casualty as the Ravens will need every bit of his $1.8MM this offseason.

C Matt Birk(Not a FA)

Gino Gradkowski is poised to step in for Birk and the Ravens are pretty high on him. He brings a solid technique and is very good at identifying blitzes at the line. Reggie Stephens could also see some snaps as well as he's been described as a lot like a Chris Chester. I wouldn't look for Birk to come back as he's hinted to the Ravens that he will likely retire. However, that's all it is at the moment; a hint.

LT Bryant McKinnie:

There really isnt a good option here. The Michael Oher experiment has likely ended and the Ravens don't have a pure left tackle on the roster. They are high on David Mimms who they signed away from the Chiefs practice squad. Mimms was scouted by the Ravens coming out of college and he's roughly the same size as McKinnie. Projected as a right tackle, he has the quickness of a left tackle. We just can't move guys around on the line with this group and make the rotation any better than it is now. The Ravens will need to find a way to lure McKinnie back.

CB Cary Williams:

This is a unique situation where I truly believe the Ravens are going to get stronger in the secondary with Williams gone and Webb coming back. You'd have to think that Corey Graham has done everything he could've to cement a job on the team. However, Jimmy Smith's recent play signals they he might have finally figured things out and should push Graham for playing time. Either way, I think the Ravens are going to be better for.

I'm not a Cary Williams hater by any means. He's done a good job for the Ravens every since they snagged him off of Tennessee's practice squad. I'm just a big believer in Corey Graham. I think he's got everything you look for in a corner and the smarts to go with it. We'll also see what Jimmy Smith can bring to the table.

S Sean Considine/James Ihedigbo:

It's likely that the Ravens will keep one of the two or sign a similar player sometime during the spring or early summer. As mentioned in the Ed Reed writeup, Christian Thompson would be the likely replacement here. Thompson is fast and strong and can play the run pretty well as he played some linebacker in college.

NT Ma'ake Kemoeatu:

Kemo probably comes back on another 1 year deal. Terrence Cody has continued to dissapoint and Ryan McBean is unproven and also a free agent. As Ozzie mentioned during the year end press conference, the Ravens will look to address this position in the draft. I could see Bryan Hall getting some time here as he's versatile enough to play anywhere on the line. Even at linebacker. I could also see DeAngelo Tyson getting a shot here as well as he's got good strength down and plays well in gaps.

TE Billy Bajema:

Bajema could return to the Ravens this offseason. He's a unique talent in that he's a good blocker and could step in some to fill Vonta Leach's shoes if he is released. A less obvious option is former Patriot Alex Silvestro. Silvestro is making the transition from DE to TE which the Ravens hope pays dividends as a blocking tight end. He's coachable and plays with intensity and seems to have the right mindset for the job

DB Chris Johnson:

Johnson's just a depth guy and likely won't return. The Ravens will likely address this through the draft or free agency.

DL Ryan McBean:

McBean could be retained and likely will compete for snaps with Cody and Kemo if he comes back. However, it's just a likely that the Ravens rebuild the position through the draft.

QB Joe Flacco:

Send Tyrod Taylor to House of Poncho's to get his arms tattooed and install the read option offense.
  • BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe and 1 other like this
@Miller192

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

If Birk doesn't retire, will they cut him? I can't imagine they're very happy about his ~$3.5M cap number.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,557 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I think given some of the areas where we'll be losing some depth/effectiveness (mainly defensively if Kruger/Ellerbe end up both being gone, although I think at least one will be retained), I think the offensive effectiveness will be an all-time high as far as necessity next season. The key to that is the O-Line. Need to find a way to bring back McKinnie or somehow a cheap veteran LT... but cheap and adequate LT don't typically belong in the same sentence.

This is very well done BTW, Miller, thanks!

Also, you and Mackus should be our BSL Capologists. Great collaboration from you two in the other thread.
  • Miller192 likes this

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Nice write up.

I have no doubt they will address some of these holes in the draft and free agency.

What about McAdoo? If he is healthy, he could get involved here.

#5 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

If Birk doesn't retire, will they cut him? I can't imagine they're very happy about his ~$3.5M cap number.

This is a case of hearing something, and taking it as fact. LOL. Birk shouldn't be in there but I was told this morning that he was likely retiring. He told the Ravens that he is leaning that way.

I'll edit it.
@Miller192

#6 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Nice write up.

I have no doubt they will address some of these holes in the draft and free agency.

What about McAdoo? If he is healthy, he could get involved here.

He just hasn't been able to give the Ravens much to go on. He'd have to really do something special this summer to get any real shot.
@Miller192

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=