#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

The Steelers have put a first round tender on restricted FA Mike Wallace.

The problem for Pitt is that they are currently 11M over the cap.

A lot of teams will go after Wallace and obviously, giving up a first rounder is tough. But he is still very young and in his prime, so I am sure some team will be willing to do it.

Will Pitt be able to match the offer?

#2 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

I think the Steelers will do everything within their power to keep Wallace. No guarantees though.

Giving up a 1st-rounder is tough, but I am sure that there are some teams that would be willing to do it.

#3 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

I think the Steelers will do everything within their power to keep Wallace. No guarantees though.

Giving up a 1st-rounder is tough, but I am sure that there are some teams that would be willing to do it.

I think anyone in the bottom 1/3 of the draft this year (with cap space) would be willing to give an offer that the Steelers can't match (or would cause them to cut numerous contracts) to keep Wallace.

With that being said, Pittsburgh has done a good job finding WRs in the past few years and I don't think that losing Wallace would hurt them as much as people think.
@brobey1

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

The report today is that the Steelers will not franchise Wallace.

#5 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

The report today is that the Steelers will not franchise Wallace.

Interesting...they must feel that they have a good chance to retain him without someone coming in and outbidding them or feel they are okay moving forward with Brown & Sanders as they're WR1 and WR2.
@brobey1

#6 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

As a Steelers fan, I really hope they're able to keep Wallace. I don't doubt the ability of Brown and Sanders at all, although Wallace just changes the way a defense can guard you.

It will be a big time loss if he does indeed go elsewhere.

@AdamWolff

#7 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

As a Steelers fan, I really hope they're able to keep Wallace. I don't doubt the ability of Brown and Sanders at all, although Wallace just changes the way a defense can guard you.

What are your thoughts of at least throwing the franchise tag on him now and trying to work out a longer term deal with him?
@brobey1

#8 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

What are your thoughts of at least throwing the franchise tag on him now and trying to work out a longer term deal with him?

That seemed like the way to go to me, but I've learned to not doubt this front office. It's sort of the opposite of the Orioles..typically, the Steelers front office does make the correct decisions, so I'm hoping they did here as well.

I could see them being willing to let him walk though. I think Antonio Brown could be ready to be a #1 level guy and Sanders is no slouch either. Also, excluding Limas Sweed, the Steelers have done a very nice job drafting WRs lately, so maybe they feel confident in their ability to fill in with something there. It's tough to say.

@AdamWolff

#9 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

That seemed like the way to go to me, but I've learned to not doubt this front office. It's sort of the opposite of the Orioles..typically, the Steelers front office does make the correct decisions, so I'm hoping they did here as well.

I could see them being willing to let him walk though. I think Antonio Brown could be ready to be a #1 level guy and Sanders is no slouch either. Also, excluding Limas Sweed, the Steelers have done a very nice job drafting WRs lately, so maybe they feel confident in their ability to fill in with something there. It's tough to say.

Yeah, they are one of the best FOs in the NFL...they seem to find talent mid to late rounds like Ozzie & Co have as well. Are you concerned about their cap situation (maybe not for this year, but in the next couple of years)?
@brobey1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=