#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Would you be upset with Bundy's first 4 years if he averaged 173IP, 12 wins, .98 HR rate, 2.3 K:BB and a 4.50 ERA?

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Definitely not in terms of the IP/W's... A little bit in terms of the K:BB/ERA.

Overall, no... but I'd have hoped he would have been better.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I think that would be good enough to trade for a pretty good shortstop.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Absolutely. That'd be incredibly disappointing, and couldn't even be justified as still being very good or his peers like we can say about Wieters.

#5 bmoreraventerp

bmoreraventerp
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I would be very disappointed. I guess if he was trending very well in season 3 and 4 where he avg. a sub 3.5 era and good peripherals than I would be less disappointed, but still disappointed because it would mean he was bad in his first two seasons.

Your numbers are what I hope is his floor as an avg of his first 2 seasons.

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Would you be upset with Bundy's first 4 years if he averaged 173IP, 12 wins, .98 HR rate, 2.3 K:BB and a 4.50 ERA?

I know you are baiting ;)

But yeah I'd be disappointed in that.
@JeremyMStrain

#7 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

The ERA is definitely high for the current offensive era.

I find it odd you are using the stats you used.

Who's career numbers did you grab for the comparison?

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

The ERA is definitely high for the current offensive era.

I find it odd you are using the stats you used.

Who's career numbers did you grab for the comparison?

A very popular name as of late, who started his career at the same age that Bundy is going to see his first significant ML playing time.

#9 bmoreb

bmoreb
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

It would be disappointing, but not as disappointing as when we trade him away and he wins 20 and a CyYoung

#10 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Why would I be happy with Bundy becoming Rick Porcello 2.0?

But yea, pretty much everyone would be disappointed with that

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I would also be upset...much like I am with Wieters but many make excuses for him. So, I just wonder if the same would happen here?

#12 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

I would also be upset...much like I am with Wieters but many make excuses for him. So, I just wonder if the same would happen here?

Wieters is still one of the best catchers in baseball (Easily top 10, arguably top 5), I'm not quite sure it is the same thing.
Porcello is not even a top 50 pitcher, although he still is a decent option.

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Well, there's a minuscule, tiny, almost imperceptible difference in the two situations.

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Wieters is still one of the best catchers in baseball (Easily top 10, arguably top 5), I'm not quite sure it is the same thing.
Porcello is not even a top 50 pitcher, although he still is a decent option.

Correct. Porcello is just another guy with the potential to become something more. Wieters is the best catcher in the AL (with Mauer having an argument but also another position) with the potential to become something more.

#15 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

There's a difference there IMO.

Wieters was expected to be great with the bat and average-ish on defense depending on who you talk to.

Instead he's great on defense and above-average with the bat. I'm ok with that. No, he's not hitting .330, but part of that is the new offensive environment, and part of it is that's an unrealistic expectation of a catcher IMO.

If Bundy ends up merely being decent... there'd be disappointment because it's not like he can make up for that by also playing above average defense at Pitcher.

The above thoughts are only like 75% complete but you get the point.
@JeffLongBP

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

There's a difference there IMO.

Wieters was expected to be great with the bat and average-ish on defense depending on who you talk to.

Instead he's great on defense and above-average with the bat. I'm ok with that. No, he's not hitting .330, but part of that is the new offensive environment, and part of it is that's an unrealistic expectation of a catcher IMO.

If Bundy ends up merely being decent... there'd be disappointment because it's not like he can make up for that by also playing above average defense at Pitcher.

The above thoughts are only like 75% complete but you get the point.

I mean I don't get it. I don't know what people were expecting out of Wieters. Honestly, he's not far off from where I thought he would be. His avg. is a little light, I thought he'd get more to that .280-.300 range, and I thought he'd have 5-10 more doubles and 5-10 more HR, but he's really not far off, and the upgrade he made in defense makes up for that easily.

He's one of the top 5 offensively and defensively at his position, and he's somehow a disappointment? I mean did you want him to cure cancer while hitting .450 and 75 HR per year?
@JeremyMStrain

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I mean I don't get it. I don't know what people were expecting out of Wieters. Honestly, he's not far off from where I thought he would be. His avg. is a little light, I thought he'd get more to that .280-.300 range, and I thought he'd have 5-10 more doubles and 5-10 more HR, but he's really not far off, and the upgrade he made in defense makes up for that easily.

He's one of the top 5 offensively and defensively at his position, and he's somehow a disappointment? I mean did you want him to cure cancer while hitting .450 and 75 HR per year?

You are probably talking about a 40-50 point difference in OPS though..at least.

As for Wieters still being very good. Agreed.

My point was that people expected much more and he didn't come through. That's more of what I am talking about.

And btw, there is a big age difference between him and Porcello as well.

I think Orioles fans would use many excuses if this was Bundy and wouldn't be ready to right him off as "this is what he is" like some are doing with Porcello.

#18 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

You are probably talking about a 40-50 point difference in OPS though..at least.

As for Wieters still being very good. Agreed.

My point was that people expected much more and he didn't come through. That's more of what I am talking about.

And btw, there is a big age difference between him and Porcello as well.

I think Orioles fans would use many excuses if this was Bundy and wouldn't be ready to right him off as "this is what he is" like some are doing with Porcello.

Age is pretty close to irrelevant in this case since neither player should be reaching a point of decline before leaving team control. If you think Porcello still has time to hit his peak I will counter by saying that Catchers tend to reach their offensive peak at a later age then other position players.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#19 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

It would be disappointing but not terribly surprising.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

He's not even that close to top 5 offensively at catcher. 9th out of the only 9 qualified catchers in the league last year in OPS. 7th of 10 in 2011. If you look at a minimum of 400 PAs instead, then he's been 12th of 17 in 2012, 10th of 20 in 2011, and 11th of 17 in 2010. Saying he's in the top 5 among catchers offensively is just wrong. He's probably never even made the top 10.

That's the disappointment. He was supposed to be a bat to be feared, not just a solid hitting catcher, but one of the better hitters in the league.

He is in the top 5 defensively, or sure, but I don't think a middle of the pack hitting, gold-glove caliber catcher is what we were expecting from Wieters. I'd happily trade his gold glove defense for average defense if he could also trade his average offense for top 2-3 among catchers (875-900 OPS).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=