#1 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Why is Chip Kelly going back to Oregon instead of taking an NFL job now? He could pretty much have his pick of the available jobs once Reid went to KC.

From what I've heard there's a good chance that Oregon goes on probation for recruiting violations. Why not cut and run now before the heat gets turned up?

My theory: Kelly is waiting one more year. Why? Look at the potential teams who could fire their coach next year:
NYJ, OAK, JAX, TEN, DAL, DET, CAR, MIA (unlikely), MIN (unlikely)

Of those potential openings, there are some choice gigs. Can you imagine Kelly's offense with Stafford and Megatron?! Or with Romo and Dez Bryant? Or with Cam Newton running it? Hell, even the chance to try to clean up the mess in New York is more appealing than pretty much any of the openings this year.

So I fully expect Kelly to make his move next offseason, probably for the Detroit job (I think DAL will hire a big name, like Gruden or Cowher, and CAR will hire internally).

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

As I said in another thread, Adam Schefter noted that was pretty indecisive going into these interviews and the NFL teams didn't like that he wasn't "all in." Kelly did say he was going in with an "open mind," maybe it was too open. He could've been just doing this to leverage his own situation.

Even if sanctions are leveled, assuming he has no wrongdoing than he has more job security in college football.

In terms of your own more year scenario, sure, it's possible he's doing it for that. But there's so much turnover for head coaches to begin with in the league; in any season, there is going to be 7-10 job openings most likely.

Those jobs seem pretty appealing now, but who knows what they'll be next year.
@levineps

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

http://baltimorespor...=100519#p100519

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors