• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

What a story Lin has been this week! Just makes you wonder how many other potential game-changing talents are currently glued to a bench.

2/4: 25pts, 7 assists, 5 boards, 2 steals
2/6: 28pts, 8 assists, 2 steals
2/8: 23pts, 10 assists
2/10: 38 points, 7 assists

Too many turnovers at times, but wow has he been impressive. Will be interesting to see how the Knicks play with him starting when Melo and Amare return.

#2 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:47 AM

Friend of mine also pointed out that he's getting hacked pretty badly every time he slashes, but is only getting a call about 1/3 of the time. Based on the amount of contact I've seen him absorb, that sounds about accurate.

The guy's pretty damn good.

#3 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

I probably shouldn't voice an opinion based on how much NBA I watch but...

I think Carmelo is going to come back and promptly screw up a good thing.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#4 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

It will be interesting to see how Melo fits in with Lin. Melo is an awful fit for D'Antoni's offense imo and Lin is a great fit and the type of player that this offense should run through. Melo needs to change his game to fit in with Lin and with this offense. He needs to play more without the ball and hold the ball less when he gets it. Quick decisions. I look forward to seeing it.

Amare coming back should be a positive since he's already excelled in D'Antoni's offense and with a great PG.

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Lin coming through down the stretch tonight!

#6 8istheman

8istheman
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Great story about following your dreams and working hard to make it happen.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Did you hear Melo last night? They interviewed him about taking the last shot...Kid doesn't get it. It all about me me me when it comes to Melo.

#8 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Did you hear Melo last night? They interviewed him about taking the last shot...Kid doesn't get it. It all about me me me when it comes to Melo.

The "other sports guy" did a whole mailbag on Lin today. He is of the opinion that if Melo doesn't get with the program immediately that the MSG fans will turn on him before halftime. I think it might be a good idea if Melo comes back for a road trip and not a series at home.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

The "other sports guy" did a whole mailbag on Lin today. He is of the opinion that if Melo doesn't get with the program immediately that the MSG fans will turn on him before halftime. I think it might be a good idea if Melo comes back for a road trip and not a series at home.

The Knicks fans want to see winning...so I could easily see this being the case.

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

JR Smith to the Knicks.

If Melo and Lin co-exist well, this can be a very good team now.

#11 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Wow...can't see Melo, JR Smith, & Amare all coexisting on one team together...

I think you'll see Lin become much more of a pass-first PG now...the play that has been working for the Knicks since Lin started playing was the pick and roll and it's difficult to run that with Amare when you have Chandler standing under the basket keeping his guy there to block shots...PNR much more effective when you're "big" is able to set the screen for the PNR getting the other team's big man out of the lane.

I think the Knicks would do well to split time between Chandler & Amare so that they are not on the court with each other at the same time the whole game...that way the PNR will work well and once Carmelo and JR Smith are playing, you have two shooters who can hit a 15 footer with ease if their man leaves to help on the PNR (whether it be Lin driving or Amare/Chandler rolling to the basket).
@brobey1

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

So Melo returns and the Knicks lose at home to the last place Nets. Coincidence??? BTW....I didn't watch the game nor have I even seen the highlights or any analysis of the game. Just happened to see the score but I'm sure there are a lot of other people wondering the same thing.

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

So Melo returns and the Knicks lose at home to the last place Nets. Coincidence??? BTW....I didn't watch the game nor have I even seen the highlights or any analysis of the game. Just happened to see the score but I'm sure there are a lot of other people wondering the same thing.

I didn't see the game, but I have a few questions stemmed from looking at the box score. Lin scored 21 points but was 7/18 from the field. Melo had just 11 points on 4/11 shooting. Were they forcing the issue in terms of having Lin take his shots?

#14 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Lin, Smith, Fields, and Amare are all perfect for D'Antoni's system. Melo is not.

That being said, Melo is a top 10 player in the NBA and should be able to adjust if he wants to.

BTW...I'm a huge Mike D'Antoni fan. The guy had a downright awful team his first two years as they tried to save up for Lebron. Then they go sign Amare and he had them hovering around .500 with so much young talent blending together. Then they gut the team to bring in Anthony and Billups, two guys who are great and good players but beyond awful fits in his system. They ran into a team in the playoffs in Boston that have been together for 400+ games.

Then, they come into this season without a PG and with both Amare and Carmelo having issues and being out for extended periods of time.

He finally lucks into a PG and now Melo is coming back and since Melo is now the franchise, his system is going to get screwed up again unless he can get through to Melo that the best way for them to contend for a title is by playing Suns style basketball and for Melo to adjust his game.
@PeterDiLutis

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Wow...can't see Melo, JR Smith, & Amare all coexisting on one team together...

I think you'll see Lin become much more of a pass-first PG now...the play that has been working for the Knicks since Lin started playing was the pick and roll and it's difficult to run that with Amare when you have Chandler standing under the basket keeping his guy there to block shots...PNR much more effective when you're "big" is able to set the screen for the PNR getting the other team's big man out of the lane.

I think the Knicks would do well to split time between Chandler & Amare so that they are not on the court with each other at the same time the whole game...that way the PNR will work well and once Carmelo and JR Smith are playing, you have two shooters who can hit a 15 footer with ease if their man leaves to help on the PNR (whether it be Lin driving or Amare/Chandler rolling to the basket).

Well Melo and Smith already coexisted just fine on the Nuggets. But yeah, Melo doesn't fit in that well with Amare and the system.

Chandler is a very good pick and roll player so he can be the primary picker while Amare spots up.

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Lin, Smith, Fields, and Amare are all perfect for D'Antoni's system. Melo is not.

That being said, Melo is a top 10 player in the NBA and should be able to adjust if he wants to.

BTW...I'm a huge Mike D'Antoni fan. The guy had a downright awful team his first two years as they tried to save up for Lebron. Then they go sign Amare and he had them hovering around .500 with so much young talent blending together. Then they gut the team to bring in Anthony and Billups, two guys who are great and good players but beyond awful fits in his system. They ran into a team in the playoffs in Boston that have been together for 400+ games.

Then, they come into this season without a PG and with both Amare and Carmelo having issues and being out for extended periods of time.

He finally lucks into a PG and now Melo is coming back and since Melo is now the franchise, his system is going to get screwed up again unless he can get through to Melo that the best way for them to contend for a title is by playing Suns style basketball and for Melo to adjust his game.

Melo is not a top 10 player imo.

I do agree with you that D'Antoni got screwed with the roster construction.

#17 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

Lebron, Wade, Dirk, Kobe, D-Will, Howard, Rose, Durant, Westbrook, Paul.

That's 10...Is it fair to call him #11?
@PeterDiLutis

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Lebron, Wade, Dirk, Kobe, D-Will, Howard, Rose, Durant, Westbrook, Paul.

That's 10...Is it fair to call him #11?

Sorry, I must have missed this. I'll start a new thread with my rankings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=