Photo

SI's Seth Davis: Buy, Sell, or Hold Stocks?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

http://sportsillustr...hts/?xid=cnnbin

He puts the Terps as "sell," and maybe buy back later:

MARYLAND (12-1): SELL
The Terrapins have been knocking at the door of the top 25, but there's really no good reason why. They lost their opener to a Kentucky team that has since fallen out of the rankings, and they have played an extremely weak slate since then. I'm not saying this team doesn't have potential or won't be in the NCAA tournament (it does and it will), but I think given the Terps' problems shooting and taking care of the basketball, they are in for a reality check with the start of conference play. That includes a stretch beginning next week that has them playing four of six games on the road, including at Miami, North Carolina and Duke. So you should sell now and decide if the Terps are worth buying back next month.

I think their shooting has improved enough recently that it is not as big an issue as Davis thinks. Definitely agree with him on the turnovers. That is my greatest concern as the competition improves.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

http://sportsillustr...hts/?xid=cnnbin

He puts the Terps as "sell," and maybe buy back later:

I think their shooting has improved enough recently that it is not as big an issue as Davis thinks. Definitely agree with him on the turnovers. That is my greatest concern as the competition improves.

This is bordering on lazy analysis. Doesn't sound like he's watched MD at all. They've spent a lot of time getting depth playing time, and I think when the rotation settles in during ACC play, a lot of the irregularities will straighten out.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

It's not lazy reporting. Those are the two biggest issues, and I don't think they've really improved throughout the cupcake season. Maybe marginally. And it's not just because we're using a larger rotation, IMO.

I still think those areas can improve, but they are certainly question marks. The defense, rebounding, and interior play are very consistent, though, and we can rack up wins just based on those hallmarks against some pretty quality teams. If we get improved performance shooting or controlling the ball, then we'll be able to tackle some of the best teams in the country.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

This is bordering on lazy analysis.

I wouldn't say that about his basketball analysis, but I sure wouldn't want Seth Davis to be my stock broker. He says to "buy" on Duke. They are unbeaten and the near-unanimous #1 team in the rankings. How is that stock going to get any higher?

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I guess lazy was a bit harsh, I too am a fan of Seth Davis, and he did hit on our issues as you both pointed out.

I'll just say that I disagree with him strongly... I don't understand why he would say "there's no good reason why" the Terps would be knocking on the door of being a top 25 team. Unless he hasn't watched this team play, and is only looking at the #'s/match-ups, there's just no justifying that statement, IMHO.

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

So much for the analysis that they can't shoot and turn it over too much. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=