• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

Barker (The Sun) just tweeted that Locksley is expected to be named. So I guess I will forget about New Mexico and get on board. At least we know that recruiting will improve.

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

If Locksley can keep DOB around, and get him back to his 2010 form, this could be great. And of course, there's the recruiting aspect. That said, Locksley's record at NM doesn't inspire confidence, and I don't know much about his abilities as an OC (Illinois did go to the Rose Bowl with him as OC in 2007). I'd prefer to see a spread-style offense vs the pro-style....they just seem to be more successful at the college level these days.

Now, if they can get Larry Johnson to be the DC also, imagine the recruiting prowess the Terps would have in MD.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

CSN Baltimore: http://www.csnbaltim...j1YQQ0GNZg26SEV
(Video of Locksley describing his system)

Even before seemingly pulling Diggs, Locksley has already had an impact at MD. Will be interesting to see how he does with a full recruiting years ahead of him.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

CBS Sports: Maryland signs OC Locksley to new 3-year contract

Maryland has signed offensive coordinator Mike Locksley to a new three-year contract, a source told CBSSports. The deal will pay Locksley in excess of $600,000 per year, making him one of the highest-paid coordinators in the Big Ten.

Not sure what his buyout is, but this signals to me a few things, they like Edsall because these assistants are usually packaged deals AND even if they fire Edsall, good chance they would try to get Locksley to stay.

@levineps

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

CBS Sports: Maryland signs OC Locksley to new 3-year contract

Not sure what his buyout is, but this signals to me a few things, they like Edsall because these assistants are usually packaged deals AND even if they fire Edsall, good chance they would try to get Locksley to stay.

Interesting. Maybe we will see MD announce an Edsall extension shortly as well.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

Lol.

This AD is so bad. This guy can't coach his way out of a paper bag and KA is paying him like a top assistant.

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

Lol.

This AD is so bad. This guy can't coach his way out of a paper bag and KA is paying him like a top assistant.

He convinced all the five-star DC-area prospects to go to Illinois and a team coached by Ron Zook. I have a feeling that at least that reputation, if not actual results on the field, are driving this. It's the whole reason he was hired in the first place.

@DJ_McCann

#8 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

He is almost universally acknowledged as being THE premiere recruiter of the DC metro area.  With Urban Meyer now relatively close, and James Franklin in the backyard as well, MD needs every recruiting advantage it can get.

Agree with bnickle's questioning of him as a coach.  MD had to decide whether or not his recruiting was worth keeping him in that position, and apparently that decision has been made.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

It's an interesting decision, but I'm not irate about it. Look at the receivers he's recruited and developed here... and Prince was a great get, too. We need to recruit better overall, but the upper end guys he's gotten have been really good for the team. 

And yeah, GD - really good point about wanting to "lock him up" with James Franklin next door now too.

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

I don't mind this move. I'd like Locksley to be a better play-caller, but his recruiting makes up for that in my mind. Like Glenn said, he is considered the best recruiter in the DMV, hands down. Recruits really like him.

Personally, I like his offense. I think the playbook itself is really diverse and can fit a lot of different strengths. I call it a "Multiple" offense, but really it's a run-based spread offense with a few pro-style schemes. The play-calling is the only part that is suspect. 3rd-down conversions were never good last season, and part of that certainly has to do with his play-calling.

But overall, I think he's a good fit for this team. And like has been mentioned, the Terps need every advantage they can get from a recruiting standpoint, and Locksley is one of the best around.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Interesting. Maybe we will see MD announce an Edsall extension shortly as well.

I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. I know Bnickle doesn't want to hear it, but the university really likes Edsall, and I could definitely see an extension coming soon for him. More realistically, I think they'll wait until after this season to make that kind of decision. But it wouldn't surprise me if it happened sooner.

@BSLZackKiesel

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. I know Bnickle doesn't want to hear it, but the university really likes Edsall, and I could definitely see an extension coming soon for him. More realistically, I think they'll wait until after this season to make that kind of decision. But it wouldn't surprise me if it happened sooner.

Well who cares what Bnickle thinks? I'm pretty much in agreement with what you're saying here, I think they might give him a 1 or 2 year deal during spring practice, but likely they'll wait until the middle or even after the season.

• Pedro Cerrano, BSLZackKiesel and Markus like this
@levineps

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

It would be a KA move to give Edsall an extension. You want to talk about completely abandoning your fan base though.

Byrd stadium would undoubtedly be filled every game by more fans from the opposing B10 school than MD fans. Now that would just be sad.

And you should care what I think because I represent how a huge majority of the fanbase feels about both Anderson and Edsall.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

There are already going to be more OSU, Michigan, Penn St. fans at Byrd anyway. That has nothing to do with Edsall, IMO. The student section will be revived I think with these bigger programs coming to campus and they will easily drown out the alumni and bandwagon fans of those visiting teams. Plus, we could use their money. So I'm perfectly fine with that in any case.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

There are already going to be more OSU, Michigan, Penn St. fans at Byrd anyway. That has nothing to do with Edsall, IMO. The student section will be revived I think with these bigger programs coming to campus and they will easily drown out the alumni and bandwagon fans of those visiting teams. Plus, we could use their money. So I'm perfectly fine with that in any case.

After their first trips to Byrd and besides when they are really good, I don't think that will always necessarily be the case with OSU/Michigan. I don't think they'll necessarily be making a biannual trip to Byrd if they're say on the path to an 8-4 season. Penn State will be a different story with proximity. Agree with you on the $$$ aspect, that was obviously part of the decision making of moving to the B1G was expecting some of these brand names to fill up the stadiums to some extent.

@levineps

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

There are quite a bit bandwagon and alumni OSU/Michigan fans in this area. So I'm not even really talking about travel.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

There are quite a bit bandwagon and alumni OSU/Michigan fans in this area. So I'm not even really talking about travel.

Yeah it comes with the territory just like Red Sox fans who go to Camden Yards travel "north" instead of south. I'm just not so sure how many fans Ohio State and Michigan will be bringing in 5-6 years unless those teams are special (which a good chance they will be).

I've said this before, but every major state school is going to have a big DC alumni presence to begin with. I went to a Pac-12 Happy Hour last year and there was quite the turnout. If that's the Pac-12, I can only imagine what the B1G is.

@levineps

#18 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Lol.

We talking about Locksley or Edsall or Turgeon here?

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

He is almost universally acknowledged as being THE premiere recruiter of the DC metro area.  With Urban Meyer now relatively close, and James Franklin in the backyard as well, MD needs every recruiting advantage it can get.

Agree with bnickle's questioning of him as a coach.  MD had to decide whether or not his recruiting was worth keeping him in that position, and apparently that decision has been made.

And don't forget that Meyer has the Terps' longtime recruiting nemesis, Larry Johnson, on staff now. OSU will certainly have a larger presence in the region.

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Well who cares what Bnickle thinks? I'm pretty much in agreement with what you're saying here, I think they might give him a 1 or 2 year deal during spring practice, but likely they'll wait until the middle or even after the season.

All that would do is say to every one "we're not really sure about this guy, but we feel like we HAVE to do something just for appearances," which would be a mistake IMO. There is no need at all to extend him right now. Have the discussion after the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=