HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

ESPN: Browns targeting 'top people' in search

http://espn.go.com/b...eople-in-search

The lasting impression left by owner Jimmy Haslam and chief executive officer Joe Banner is that they are going after the top candidates available -- presumably Oregon's Chip Kelly and Penn State's Bill O'Brien -- and they expect to land one.

I remember last year when many knacked PSU for "only" getting Bill O'Brien despite his credentials as NE DC under Bellichek. Now they might have to fight to keep him. I really wouldn't blame him if he left since they told him they weren't expecting NCAA sanctions, and certainly not to that extent.

The Browns will hire a head coach first and then decide on the general manager/player personnel director.

Unless they go for the "weak" GM/coach structure like Andy Reid had, not sure why they don't get the GM first or atleast do these concurrently. Even if Banner wants his guy, it's probably good to get input from the GM on the coaching hire to make sure they can co-exist.
@levineps

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

ESPN: It appears Jim Schwartz is safe

http://espn.go.com/b...chwartz-is-safe
@levineps

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Turner makes 6
http://www.utsandieg...ports/chargers/

AJ Smith becomes the 4th GM to go.
@mikeghg

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Turner makes 6
http://www.utsandieg...ports/chargers/

AJ Smith becomes the 4th GM to go.

Anyone know the record for GMs fired? Adam Schefter was talking about how unprecedented the turnover this year was for the position.
@levineps

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

ESPN: Word on Ron Rivera not likely Monday

http://espn.go.com/b...t-likely-monday

Richardson could be taking a few days to think this one through. He also could be waiting until he hires a new general manager to determine Rivera’s future.

@levineps

#47 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

In this article (http://espn.go.com/n... ... and-browns), Eric DeCosta is mentioned as a possible Browns GM candidate. He's turned down opportunties in the past, any chance he goes?

Depends. Has he talked to Phil Savage and George Kokinis recently?

I can't see him leaving for Cleveland. He's being paid GM money to be Ozzie's replacement when that day comes (and it could any year now). He might want to build his own organization, but I can't imagine that he'd want to start without a foundation like he'd have here.

#48 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

@AdamSchefter: Cardinals fired HC Ken Whisenhunt. Up to 7 HCs today.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Depends. Has he talked to Phil Savage and George Kokinis recently?

I can't see him leaving for Cleveland. He's being paid GM money to be Ozzie's replacement when that day comes (and it could any year now). He might want to build his own organization, but I can't imagine that he'd want to start without a foundation like he'd have here.

The major difference is it's completely new regime in Cleveland with a new ownership/management structure, so he could really build his own organization. Not saying he'll leave, just pointing that out.
@levineps

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

ESPN: Cards fire Ken Whisenhunt, Graves

http://espn.go.com/n...d-graves-source
No surprise here. The Cards just tanked.
@levineps

#51 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Moral of the story: if you're taking a HC job for a team without a great quarterback, don't sign any long term leases.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

Moral of the story: if you're taking a HC job for a team without a great quarterback, don't sign any long term leases.

I'm not sure how many new coaches are homeowners in the first place? I believe Mike Shannahan had just finished his mansion (which Peyton later temporarily lived in) in Denver (or maybe it wasn't even completed yet?) when he was fired.
@levineps

#53 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Totally senseless to fire Lovie Smith. Teams are just totally spoiled.
@PeterDiLutis

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

ESPN: The logic of Black Monday

http://espn.go.com/n...lack-monday-nfl

And if the league follows its profit-centered idea of expanding the playoffs to 14 or 16 teams, look out below. The number of in-season firings surely will jump dramatically (there were none this season, a very unusual development) as teams suddenly see 8-8 as a desirable -- and attainable -- postseason gateway that is slipping away in, let's say, Week 7 or so.

Sounds like the NBA or NHL.

If you're Dennis Allen, do you really bypass the Raiders position because the turnover rate has been 100 percent in the past few years? Of course not. You take the job, work with the grim realities and hope and plan for a better future.

This is about sums things up for me for many perspective first-time coaches. It's hard to turn down such a position when you never know if you are going to get another chance. One of those "making the best of the situation."
@levineps

#55 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Totally senseless to fire Lovie Smith. Teams are just totally spoiled.

Missed the playoffs in five of the last six years and declined after a 7-1 start (a quasi victim of his own success). Bill Walsh said (paraphrasing), "That's its better to cut a player a year too early, than a year too late," wonder if that applies to coaches/GMs.
@levineps

#56 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Missed the playoffs in five of the last six years and declined after a 7-1 start (a quasi victim of his own success). Bill Walsh said (paraphrasing), "That's its better to cut a player a year too early, than a year too late," wonder if that applies to coaches/GMs.

Yeah, I was surprised at first as well. Then someone pointed out the playoff stat and it made sense.

The Bears haven't been BAD in a while: they've won at least seven games every year since going 5-11 in Smith's first year. But in nine years they made the playoffs three times and won in double-digits four times. The NFC North hasn't exactly been strong for most of that time, either.

I figure that the Bears believe they have a ceiling with Smith, and after nine years are willing to take the risk of falling for the hope of reaching further heights.

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, I was surprised at first as well. Then someone pointed out the playoff stat and it made sense.

The Bears haven't been BAD in a while: they've won at least seven games every year since going 5-11 in Smith's first year. But in nine years they made the playoffs three times and won in double-digits four times. The NFC North hasn't exactly been strong for most of that time, either.

I figure that the Bears believe they have a ceiling with Smith, and after nine years are willing to take the risk of falling for the hope of reaching further heights.

I echo what you are saying. He was the 2nd longest coach I believe after Reid (now they're both gone) and managers/coaches in sports have very short shelf lives even if they've been successful (message gets stale). Trying to figure out the longest tenure coach now -- is it Tom Coughlin?
@levineps

#58 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

I echo what you are saying. He was the 2nd longest coach I believe after Reid (now they're both gone) and managers/coaches in sports have very short shelf lives even if they've been successful (message gets stale). Trying to figure out the longest tenure coach now -- is it Tom Coughlin?

Belichick has been in New England for 13 years and Marvin Lewis has been in Cincy for 10 years.
@mikeghg

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Belichick has been in New England for 13 years and Marvin Lewis has been in Cincy for 10 years.

I overlooked those two thanks. I don't know how I missed Belichick especially since I mention him a bunch but I forget about Marvin Lewis, how the hell is he still in Cincy -- no playoff wins in a decade! The point being turnover is so high, Andy Reid staying for a decade-and-half almost is very remarkable. Any coach that makes it to Lovie Smith's status deserves kudos for keeping their job that long as well.
@levineps

#60 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I overlooked those two thanks. I don't know how I missed Belichick especially since I mention him a bunch but I forget about Marvin Lewis, how the hell is he still in Cincy -- no playoff wins in a decade! The point being turnover is so high, Andy Reid staying for a decade-and-half almost is very remarkable. Any coach that makes it to Lovie Smith's status deserves kudos for keeping their job that long as well.

Marvin has survived for two reasons, Mike Brown is cheap as hell and Marvin has the ability to have good years when all seems darkest.
Also found this....look how far up Harbaugh has moved in tender among NFL coaches.

http://www.businessi... ... sportspage
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=