340 replies to this topic

#1 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

http://www.nfl.com/n...on-black-monday
Some of these I figured will be happening. I don't think Norv Turner or Ken Whisenhut are coming back. Same for Andy Reid. New Carolina GM will probably want to hire his own coach.
@mrbeanage

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

http://www.nfl.com/n...on-black-monday
Some of these I figured will be happening. I don't think Norv Turner or Ken Whisenhut are coming back. Same for Andy Reid. New Carolina GM will probably want to hire his own coach.

Chan Gailey will likely be gone. The interesting ones may Whisenhunt in Arizona and Shurmur in Cleveland.
The Rex Ryan watch may be volatile.
@mikeghg

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

ESPN is reporting that Shurmur is gone on Monday.

I think we'll see 10 coaches fired on Monday.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

The writing was on the wall when Holmgren "retired" (and his exit was sped up). Anytime a new owner and/or other management comes in, they want their own guys unless they've been successful.
@levineps

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

That would be a lot, I think a few survive but there will be a lot of open spots. This may be the first year the Ravens do not get raided.
@mikeghg

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,521 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Yahoo: 5 NFL coaches most likely to get fired and likely replacements
http://sports.yahoo....-211123019.html

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I think Monday is the day Adam Schefter has a breakdown on-air from overwork. A third of the coaches in the league could be fired; damn.

That would be a lot, I think a few survive but there will be a lot of open spots. This may be the first year the Ravens do not get raided.

Maybe. Though if Caldwell keeps the offense running like last week deep into the playoffs, I could easily see a team looking at his head-coaching experience and glowing reviews from Peyton Manning and offering him a job.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

I think Monday is the day Adam Schefter has a breakdown on-air from overwork. A third of the coaches in the league could be fired; damn.

Maybe. Though if Caldwell keeps the offense running like last week deep into the playoffs, I could easily see a team looking at his head-coaching experience and glowing reviews from Peyton Manning and offering him a job.

I think he might some looks, but he was coming off a 2-14 year and showed he could win with Peyton but not much else. He didn't do too well at Wake. Teams have to interview minorities after all (not trying to sound racist here, that's just a fact).
@levineps

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

I think he might some looks, but he was coming off a 2-14 year and showed he could win with Peyton but not much else. He didn't do too well at Wake. Teams have to interview minorities after all (not trying to sound racist here, that's just a fact).

This is the NFL. Failure hasn't stopped anyone before.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

I believe I heard that since 92, an average of 7 coaches get fired every year.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I really would be surprised if Caldwell got a Head Coach job. I don't think he is held in that high regard but it only takes one owner to think he is the answer.
@mikeghg

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Mike Mularkey, canned after just one season, with a team so lacking in talent like the Jags? Brutal. That said, I'd take him as the Ravens next OC.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

This is the NFL. Failure hasn't stopped anyone before.

Yeah there's a scarcity of coaches, I just don't think he'll be as highly sought after as you do. He's 1-1 as offensive coordinator.
@levineps

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Yeah there's a scarcity of coaches, I just don't think he'll be as highly sought after as you do. He's 1-1 as offensive coordinator.

All I said was he could get a look, if he kept the offense running well through the playoffs. Nothing more.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

All I said was he could get a look, if he kept the offense running well through the playoffs. Nothing more.

Yeah I could go with that through the playoffs, depending on how the coaching vacancies get filled.
@levineps

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Yeah I could go with that through the playoffs, depending on how the coaching vacancies get filled.

Since you brought up the Rooney Rule, I saw an article this week talking about the dearth of minority offensive coaches in football. All six current minority head coaches (five African-American and one Latino) come from defensive backgrounds, and Caldwell is the only minority offensive play-caller (Buffalo's OC doesn't call plays) in the league.

He'll probably get some interviews just based on that lack-of competition.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

Since you brought up the Rooney Rule, I saw an article this week talking about the dearth of minority offensive coaches in football. All six current minority head coaches (five African-American and one Latino) come from defensive backgrounds, and Caldwell is the only minority offensive play-caller (Buffalo's OC doesn't call plays) in the league.

He'll probably get some interviews just based on that lack-of competition.

Didn't realize that, I assume this was only pro football? At some point, they are going to need to stop the Rooney Rule. It becomes a mockery when the candidates are just being given token interviews. I think it's served it's purpose at this point. I realize the detractors will say, just the experience of interviewing is invaluable in advancing their careers.
@levineps

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

https://twitter.com/...504581516029953

#19 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

https://twitter.com/RoobCSN/status/285504581516029953

Andy Reid will be the shortest unemployment ever.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Andy Reid will be the shortest unemployment ever.

I could see him wanting to take some time off on his own, with what happened to his son. Otherwise, I bet he's in San Diego or Detroit next year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=