@BSLZackKiesel

#2 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

I think it's pretty presumptious to assume that Cockerille will be a 4-year starter at MD, even if he redshirts. CJB and Ricardo Young are both likely to have 2 full years of eligibility left. Hills and Rowe will still be in play though I assume one will transfer at some point.

Cockerille seems to be a talented guy but I don't think you see him right out of the gate.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

If Cockerille starts for 4 years, then that means we're probably in store for the sort of attrition at the QB position (either through injury or transfer) next season as we saw this last season. On the other hand, if UM is going to be anything more than a middling team, especially in the Big Ten, then they need to finally get some semblance of stability at QB (such as it is in college football). They haven't gone into a season with the same starting QB in consecutive years since Sam Hollenbach in 2005-06....I'd be thrilled just to see that happen for a change, whether it's Cockerille or one of the other guys.

#4 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

If Cockerille starts for 4 years, then that means we're probably in store for the sort of attrition at the QB position (either through injury or transfer) next season as we saw this last season. On the other hand, if UM is going to be anything more than a middling team, especially in the Big Ten, then they need to finally get some semblance of stability at QB (such as it is in college football). They haven't gone into a season with the same starting QB in consecutive years since Sam Hollenbach in 2005-06....I'd be thrilled just to see that happen for a change, whether it's Cockerille or one of the other guys.

Wasn't Chris Turner the starter for his junior and senior years?

In any event, I don't disagree with you, and I hope Cockerille becomes that guy who starts for 2-3 years. But I don't see him as a redshirt freshman unseating a healthy CJ Brown or Ricardo Young.

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Wasn't Chris Turner the starter for his junior and senior years?

In any event, I don't disagree with you, and I hope Cockerille becomes that guy who starts for 2-3 years. But I don't see him as a redshirt freshman unseating a healthy CJ Brown or Ricardo Young.

Turner didn't start until the 6th game of 2007.

EDIT: Actually, I misstated above. Turner did enter the 2008 and 09 seasons as the starter. He just didn't start all the games in 2009.

It will be very interesting to see how this competition plays out. Young will definitely have the opportunity to get a leg up on the other guys, since he'll likely be the only scholarship QB who is healthy enough to participate in spring practice.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,647 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

I have seen Shane 4 times including three this year and he is a great runner, but he is definitely a run first QB. It could be in part that Gilman was a power team that ran the ball at what was almost always an outmanned and sized competitor but Shane definitely seems more of a runner than a thrower.
I am not sure he is ready to start at Maryland next year.
@mikeghg

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

As a redshirt freshman, he'd be competing with Ricardo Young, Perry Hills, and Caleb Rowe. I think he has the stuff to start for 3-4 years. Locksley has already said he's going to build the offense around him, making me think he'll be starting sooner rather than later. Naturally there are differences of opinion, but I think he'll be starting very soon.
@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

As a redshirt freshman, he'd be competing with Ricardo Young, Perry Hills, and Caleb Rowe.

Are you assuming that Brown does not apply for a medical RS for last season, or that the NCAA would not grant him one?

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Are you assuming that Brown does not apply for a medical RS for last season, or that the NCAA would not grant him one?

I don't think it's a sure thing. I hope it happens, but I'm not ready to assume they'll grant him one. We'll see.
@BSLZackKiesel

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Just wanted to add this YouTube video that Todd Cockerille (Shane's dad) sent to me the other day.

z6_JS7Jt-6g
@BSLZackKiesel

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,647 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Just wanted to add this YouTube video that Todd Cockerille (Shane's dad) sent to me the other day.

z6_JS7Jt-6g

Thanks for sharing. I still think Shane needs a year or so to develop. I am intrigued by them building an offense around him. Either way, I will be rooting for him. I always like to follow kids I have seen play in high school as they move to the next level.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=