• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Per Britt on Twitter:

Reynolds was never offered a deal. ... Reynolds is now a free agent: "It is what it is and move on. I'm excited to get out there and see what’s out there for me." ... Reynolds said he was told by the #Orioles the "light is still on", called Baltimore his first choice but Os never made a deal or tried to. ... Reynolds wouldnt rule out signing w/ the Os as a FA. Has been working out at 1st & 3rd this winter & wants to go somewhere w/ a chance 2 win
@BSLLukeJackson

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

I will be sorry to see him go and would like to keep him...and maybe I will change my mind later on depending on what we do.

But for right now, letting him go is the right answer IMO. We need to improve this lineup, get younger and save some money somewhere.

If we do indeed lose Reynolds, I hope he does well elsewhere...just not when he's playing us. :)

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Love Reynolds but this was kind of a must with the money involved.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

I never expected him to be tendered, but since the season ended did expect that him and the O's would come together on a 2 year deal.

Duquette is clearly looking to do something trade wise. Should the trade(s) he is targeting not come to fruition, I think Reynolds will remain an option (obviously if he has not signed elsewhere). At that point though, you are probably talking a 1 year deal.

I do think the O's could have communicated a little better with Reynolds what their intentions were. I don't understand it getting to the point where this happens, and Reynolds is able to say that no communication has taken place. That makes little sense to me.

#5 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Posted Image
This is what I will remember Reynolds for (If he doesn't come back)
  • SportsGuy likes this

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

Posted Image
This is what I will remember Reynolds for (If he doesn't come back)

That's hilarious..hadn't seen that.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I never expected him to be tendered, but since the season ended did expect that him and the O's would come together on a 2 year deal.

Duquette is clearly looking to do something trade wise. Should the trade(s) he is targeting not come to fruition, I think Reynolds will remain an option (obviously if he has not signed elsewhere). At that point though, you are probably talking a 1 year deal.

I do think the O's could have communicated a little better with Reynolds what their intentions were. I don't understand it getting to the point where this happens, and Reynolds is able to say that no communication has taken place. That makes little sense to me.

A little strange, especially given Roch's post a few days ago indicating they were in fact discussing contract with Reynolds.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

That's hilarious..hadn't seen that.

Not sure how you missed that, it was all over BSL and OH when it happened... Buck's reaction is pure gold. One of my best memories of 2012.

#9 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Excellent move by Duquette. It's not worth paying 9 million or more for half a win over replacement value no matter how many toe saves Reynolds made at 1B.

The Orioles could get more out of a guy like Dan Johnson for league minimum than bringing back Reynolds. My guess is Chris Davis is Plan C with a trade being Plan A and B.

Eric Hosmer from the Royals is being shopped and he seems like a perfect buy low guy if the Orioles scouts think he can recover his swing.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

No problem with them wanting to go another way.

But I do agree that they could have communicated better with him...even if it was just to say, we are potentially going to keep you but for the time being, we will explore other avenues.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Not sure how you missed that, it was all over BSL and OH when it happened... Buck's reaction is pure gold. One of my best memories of 2012.

Yea, no idea how I missed it either.

But yea, Buck is great there!

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,265 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Eric Hosmer from the Royals is being shopped and he seems like a perfect buy low guy if the Orioles scouts think he can recover his swing.

Yeah, it's been discussed in multiple threads. I think everyone agrees Hosmer would be an excellent addition. I would think it is possible, but not likely.

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Mentioned this in the winter meeting thread but this non tender and the fact that DD didn't even talk to Reynolds tells me DD plans to and is confident in finding an upgrade. Probably on the trade front. Wouldn't be surprised if we've had some good preliminary talks with some teams and it heats up big time next week.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

@masnRoch: Duquette said he "explored a couple of different structures," with Reynolds' contract, "but it was challenging to make it work." #orioles

So, did the Orioles explore this amongst themselves or did they talk to Reynolds?

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

@masnRoch: Asked if door still open, Duquette said it depended on what the market is. "We like him. He did a good job during his time with the O's...

@masnRoch: "...and he worked hard, which we appreciated." #orioles

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

So does Chris Davis take over the office of Sheriff, or do we get to hold an election? I want to run!

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

@masnRoch: Duquette said he "explored a couple of different structures," with Reynolds' contract, "but it was challenging to make it work." #orioles

So, did the Orioles explore this amongst themselves or did they talk to Reynolds?

Roch told me, via twitter, that they talked internally.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Sounds to me like he made the decision while out house-hunting.

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

I agree with others that this is the right move, but they should have handled it better.

Also, I don't think they really need to get someone else to make this move make sense. Davis at 1B with Betemit and a righty (maybe Reimold) at DH makes more sense than does keeping Reynolds for what he was going to get.

#20 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

I, too, agree with everyone else that this should have been handled better. If you are DD, you might not like his productivity as a player, but at least let the guy's agent know what you are doing. I'd have to think he was pretty popular with his teammates and seemed to always give 100%. You don't just leave guys like that hanging.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=