http://baltimorespor...e-bad-the-ugly/

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Huge for MD to have a real shooter. Been missing that.

It's a joke that MD isn't ranked. I'm not sure there are 15 better teams than the Terps, much less 25.

If MD can cut down on the turnovers and start shooting the ball a bit better from the perimeter they are a legit top 10 team. I truely believe that. You saw in the 2nd half how good they can be when taking care of the ball and stroking the jumpshot. The talent and depth is that good.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

The commentators were saying maryland belongs in the middle of the ACC. I think you have to put Duke at the top, with what they have done early but after that Maryland has the talent to stay with anyone.
I think Maryland is a top 20 team.
@mikeghg

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

If MD can cut down on the turnovers and start shooting the ball a bit better from the perimeter they are a legit top 10 team. I truely believe that. You saw in the 2nd half how good they can be when taking care of the ball and stroking the jumpshot. The talent and depth is that good.

Can't argue with this.

Right now, based in what I have seen, MD is the second best team in the conference.

It's a shame they have such a poor non conference schedule...would like to see them against some more very good teams.

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

I'm going to love watching Dez play. He's always smiling out there, and it seems to be infectious.

I told you you'd love him eventually. :grin: He struggled a bit in the beginning of the season but he is coming around. By conference play, Dez should bein averaging double digits.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

The commentators were saying maryland belongs in the middle of the ACC. I think you have to put Duke at the top, with what they have done early but after that Maryland has the talent to stay with anyone.
I think Maryland is a top 20 team.

I could be wrong, but I think the what the announcer meant when he said "middle" was in the context of being in the middle of the group that challenges for the top spot in the conference, not middle of the pack overall.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

This team has strong potential.

I think we need to hope that Len develops into a legit superstar, because if he does the team can be a real national contender and he's leaving anyway so there's no need to hope he fails to play himself into the lottery.

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

That makes sense, thanks.

I really think if Maryland gets decent PG play they can play with anyone. They will be better as the year goes on.
@mikeghg

#9 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Can't argue with this.

Right now, based in what I have seen, MD is the second best team in the conference.

It's a shame they have such a poor non conference schedule...would like to see them against some more very good teams.

I think it's still early to put Maryland in that class yet. The ACC has it's share of talented teams with Duke at the top for now with NC State and Florida State close behind. UNC looks down this year but getting thumped by Indiana in Assembly Hall isn't that big of a deal. Crean has done a masterful job of rebuilding that program and they are legit top ten.

I expected Maryland to win last night against a Northwestern team that has some decent guardplay but was not able to match the Terps athleticism and physical presence on the baseline. I was most impressed with the defensive intensity of Turge's team and the unselfish play on the offensive end. They created a ton of easy chances by getting to the rim and drawing defenders and dumping off for scores. This allowed the jump shots to flow especially Aaronhalt. (Zone-buster). A win on the road is always welcomed but the Wildcats will probably finish in the bottom half of the Big Ten. I'm also not a huge fan of teams who play the Princeton offense. It's highly overrated and is normally used to mask deficiencies on your roster. But the Terps took care of business in impressive fashion and that should have any fan feeling good about this season's prospects for success.

I'm just as excited about the potential of this team though. They have ten players that they could rotate in depending on the situation and I can't remember during Gary's tenure the Terps having that kind of depth. Unfortunately as you mentioned I don't think they really get tested until January when the league schedule begins.

#10 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

Great coaching by the Turgeon and the staff at halftime. You could tell in NW first 3-4 possessions that the Terps were much more prepared against those backdoor cuts than they were in the first half. Maybe the guys just needed to see it to know how to make the adjustment, but that was impressive.

I think NW is a better team than that, but once they got down big they tried to gamble some defensively, and you can't do that when you're giving up as much size and athleticism as they were.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

The schedule is what it is. The Terps should get to 12-1 before conference. I am sure in future years they will schedule a more challenging NC schedule.
This is a good maryland team and I think they will win 9-11 games in conference which will get them into the tourney. Right now it will concentrate on getting better.
@mikeghg

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

The schedule is what it is. The Terps should get to 12-1 before conference. I am sure in future years they will schedule a more challenging NC schedule.
This is a good Maryland team and I think they will win 9-11 games in conference which will get them into the tourney. Right now it will concentrate on getting better.

I've been guilty of the OOC talk as well, but it carries slightly less weight since the ACC schedule is 18 games this year.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

This is a good maryland team and I think they will win 9-11 games in conference which will get them into the tourney. Right now it will concentrate on getting better.

9 wins would be really underachieving.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

I think it's still early to put Maryland in that class yet. The ACC has it's share of talented teams with Duke at the top for now with NC State and Florida State close behind. UNC looks down this year but getting thumped by Indiana in Assembly Hall isn't that big of a deal. Crean has done a masterful job of rebuilding that program and they are legit top ten.

I expected Maryland to win last night against a Northwestern team that has some decent guardplay but was not able to match the Terps athleticism and physical presence on the baseline. I was most impressed with the defensive intensity of Turge's team and the unselfish play on the offensive end. They created a ton of easy chances by getting to the rim and drawing defenders and dumping off for scores. This allowed the jump shots to flow especially Aaronhalt. (Zone-buster). A win on the road is always welcomed but the Wildcats will probably finish in the bottom half of the Big Ten. I'm also not a huge fan of teams who play the Princeton offense. It's highly overrated and is normally used to mask deficiencies on your roster. But the Terps took care of business in impressive fashion and that should have any fan feeling good about this season's prospects for success.

I'm just as excited about the potential of this team though. They have ten players that they could rotate in depending on the situation and I can't remember during Gary's tenure the Terps having that kind of depth. Unfortunately as you mentioned I don't think they really get tested until January when the league schedule begins.

NC St and FSU have looked bad thus far. I don't see the argument for FSU being better than MD.

NC St and UNC may end up better but MD has as much or more talent than both of them....they are athletic and will be a great rebounding team.

I don't think Md will be better than Duke BUT they match up very well with Duke because of the athleticism on the perimeter and they have size down low.

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

NC St and FSU have looked bad thus far. I don't see the argument for FSU being better than MD.

NC St and UNC may end up better but MD has as much or more talent than both of them....they are athletic and will be a great rebounding team.

I don't think Md will be better than Duke BUT they match up very well with Duke because of the athleticism on the perimeter and they have size down low.

I think Duke is clearly better, but MD will have a chance to beat them head to head due to the match-up issues you posed.

I still like NC State better, and just feel like UNC will come around. My official prediction heading into ACC play is a 4th place, 12 win ACC season.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Apparently the NW fans were harassing Dez a ton yesterday with "no means no" chants. Dez responded in a big way with his production.

#17 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Apparently the NW fans were harassing Dez a ton yesterday with "no means no" chants. Dez responded in a big way with his production.

I also heard them chanting "tall and awkward" when Len stepped to the free throw line. He also responded in a big way on the floor.
@BSLZackKiesel

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

I've been guilty of the OOC talk as well, but it carries slightly less weight since the ACC schedule is 18 games this year.

Good Call, I had forgotten the additional conference games. It will take 11 or 12 to do it. I think they are capable of that.
@mikeghg

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

9 wins would be really underachieving.

Your right. I had forgotten the 18 game schedule. Old habits die hard.
@mikeghg

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

I also heard them chanting "tall and awkward" when Len stepped to the free throw line. He also responded in a big way on the floor.

Funny when you look at their big men. Lenn is a monster. maryland needs to get him the ball more.

Actually Maryland reminds me of the old Carolina teams where the ball is shared and no one shoots alot.

Lenn needs to get the ball more. He is really unstopable down low.

Also noticed Wells only shot 11 times for his 23 yesterday. Impressive.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=