• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

This team has to start shooting the 3 ball better. That said, still impressive for a team struggling so much shooting. They'll definitely be able to win ugly. So, if and when the shooting comes around, look out.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

This team has to start shooting the 3 ball better. That said, still impressive for a team struggling so much shooting. They'll definitely be able to win ugly. So, if and when the shooting comes around, look out.

I'd like to see Aronhalt get going a bit. I was expecting some regular offense (3pt shooting off the bench) from him, and he has been a complete non-factor so far. I'd also expect him to be on the court of games close and late (if he can handle things defensively), because of his ability at the line.

Totally agree that this team will continue to score inside. They need to be able to knock down their shots at the line.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Defense is scrappy and they play hard for Turg. But the 3-point ball from Lafayette was unacceptable tonight... gotta get better at defending the 3.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Defense is scrappy and they play hard for Turg. But the 3-point ball from Lafayette was unacceptable tonight... gotta get better at defending the 3.

That too. Both sides of the 3pt line need to get better. Both the shooting from it and defending of it.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

That too. Both sides of the 3pt line need to get better. Both the shooting from it and defending of it.

The good news is that both should improve significantly, IMO. I'm not fretting it yet, but it's definitely something that needs to be worked on (as I'm sure it is).

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

I think it is interesting that Turgeon is trying to play the two groups when subbing. I think he is trying to get the second group to develop by making them not rely on the older players.
I think when the conference season starts you will see different sub patterns. Maybe Allen on the ocurt with P to act as a shooter, same with Aronhalt.
Layman needs to look for his shot more. Eventually he will realize that he needs to score for the second team to do well. I think it is Turgeons way of applying pressure.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

I'm not worried about the 3-point defense.

I am worried about the 3-point shooting.

Nobody on the team is really a pure outside shooter aside from perhaps Aronholt, and he can't do anything else and is a huge liability defensively. He's a zone buster for 5-10 minutes per game tops, IMO, unless he is slightly hurt or something and that's why he is unable to stay in front of any offensive players.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

The rebounding continues to be amazing. The four bigs we have are going to be a big problem for opposing teams on the glass.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'm not worried about the 3-point defense.

I am worried about the 3-point shooting.

Nobody on the team is really a pure outside shooter aside from perhaps Aronholt, and he can't do anything else and is a huge liability defensively. He's a zone buster for 5-10 minutes per game tops, IMO, unless he is slightly hurt or something and that's why he is unable to stay in front of any offensive players.

Layman is supposed to be a strong shooter from outside, not just a good shot for a 6'8 guy. Have to see if that develops.

Allen did have 5 three's in the previous game. Allen and Howard will continue to get a fair amount of open looks. They have to hit their share.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Layman is supposed to be a strong shooter from outside, not just a good shot for a 6'8 guy. Have to see if that develops.

Allen did have 5 three's in the previous game. Allen and Howard will continue to get a fair amount of open looks. They have to hit their share.

I don't think Layman or Allen will be guys we can really count on every game to knock down a fair percentage of threes, though both will (and Allen already has) occasionally have games where they are hot and should be shooting more.

Howard looks abysmal from beyond the arc. Worse than Faust or Wells, and those guys look lost too. If we were in the meat of the schedule, then none of those guys should be shooting threes unless they are wide open at this point. Since we're still in the cupcakes for a while, they can try and work through their struggles.

We certainly don't have anybody on the roster that defenses need to cue on to make sure they don't get open for a three. Eventually, that's going to cost us as teams will compact in and we won't be able to get the ball in to our bigs. Also, teams will stop running out on Faust and Wells which allows them to slash to the basket. It'll be tougher for them to get to the rack if they aren't knocking down at least 30% of their threes, if not higher.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

I expected a little more production out of Dez Wells, but it's obviously still early. He's only playing 26.8 minutes per game (same as last year basically at Xavier, but I'd expect that to go up). I've been impressed with his defense and his motor out there in general. Very athletic, energized player.

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

I expected a little more production out of Dez Wells, but it's obviously still early. He's only playing 26.8 minutes per game (same as last year basically at Xavier, but I'd expect that to go up). I've been impressed with his defense and his motor out there in general. Very athletic, energized player.

I think he is trying to blend in. I did notice that when Lafayette got close at the end he got more aggressive.
He had one very powerful put back and a solid drive to the hoop for another score. He is not shooting a lot. He is shooting about 9 shots a game which is not a lot.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=