HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

ESPN: How move affects Maryland hoops
http://espn.go.com/m...lege-basketball

[Gary] Williams said he doesn't see Duke or Carolina scheduling Maryland in the future.

@levineps

#2 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

Yeah, a lot of ACC schools will likely be bitter and not schedule MD and I don't blame them.

MD and Georgetown need to play every year. And how about West Virginia since the two teams play each other in football just about every year? I'd be interested in Villanova or Temple as well.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

Yeah, a lot of ACC schools will likely be bitter and not schedule MD and I don't blame them.

MD and Georgetown need to play every year. And how about West Virginia since the two teams play each other in football just about every year? I'd be interested in Villanova or Temple as well.

One incorrect thing in the article was GW was talking about how Oklahoma/Nebraska don't schedule each other, they just signed a deal to play each other in a home-and-home. I'd imagine given the fallout comments from Coach K, Duke won't be scheduling anytime soon. Other ACC members might feel differently. If Wake could get a home&home out of it for example, it would be better for attendance than some directional Carolina school. I would also think the new schools to the ACC would be more likely to schedule us.
@levineps

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Maryland basketball will have a chance to hang multiple banners in the immediate future. With 3 teams in the Top 5, and MD outside the Top 25; I'm sure the Big Ten is not 'afraid' of the Terps right now, but they will learn to Fear the Turtle.

I really don't think that is bluster. If Howard can hit open shots, and run the 1/2 court offense... and Allen can regularly come in, use his athleticism both on offense and defense, and provide a little consistent scoring; the rest of the team this year is good enough to win the ACC. I expect a minimum of a Sweet 16 appearance this year.

It would pretty shocking to see Len return next year, so that will be an adjustment. However, Cleare and Mitchell will be back in the post, and will be more experienced. Peters will improve MD at PG. Dodd will help replace the lost post depth. Turgeon has said Smotrycz was playing as well as anyone outside of Len and Wells in practice.

So, I think MD will be coming off two very good years as they prepare to enter the Big Ten.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Maryland basketball will have a chance to hang multiple banners in the immediate future. With 3 teams in the Top 5, and MD outside the Top 25; I'm sure the Big Ten is not 'afraid' of the Terps right now, but they will learn to Fear the Turtle.

I really don't think that is bluster. If Howard can hit open shots, and run the 1/2 court offense... and Allen can regularly come in, use his athleticism both on offense and defense, and provide a little consistent scoring; the rest of the team this year is good enough to win the ACC. I expect a minimum of a Sweet 16 appearance this year.

It would pretty shocking to see Len return next year, so that will be an adjustment. However, Cleare and Mitchell will be back in the post, and will be more experienced. Peters will improve MD at PG. Dodd will help replace the lost post depth. Turgeon has said Smotrycz was playing as well as anyone outside of Len and Wells in practice.

So, I think MD will be coming off two very good years as they prepare to enter the Big Ten.

I agree - I think we can def. make a tournament run THIS year, with next year being even better. Interestingly enough, I think year 4 for Turgeon, our first year in the Big Ten, could be our best team since the early 00's, but that remains to be seen to a degree based on the recruiting from here on out (figures to be strong), and any NBA departures.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

I agree - I think we can def. make a tournament run THIS year, with next year being even better. Interestingly enough, I think year 4 for Turgeon, our first year in the Big Ten, could be our best team since the early 00's, but that remains to be seen to a degree based on the recruiting from here on out (figures to be strong), and any NBA departures.

I think there's going to be a lot of hype in our first year in the Big Ten. I'm hoping the ACC gives us a home game with Duke for our swan song year (assuming we don't get out earlier). I'm sure though they aren't going to do us any favors.
@levineps

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Andy Geiger on Big Ten basketball (http://www.baltimore...0,4248510.story):

“The Big Ten has bigger buildings with stronger fan bases”

@levineps

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Not referring to anyone who posts here, but here's a little tidbit for all those who whined about how the increased travel costs would eat up whatever financial gain the Terps would get from the Big Ten.

Maryland deal included multimillion-dollar travel subsidy from Big Ten

The University of Maryland's deal to join the Big Ten includes not only the lucrative annual payouts that all members receive, but also a significant concession obtained by the school — a subsidy worth tens of millions of dollars from the conference to offset athletic teams' anticipated higher travel costs, according to multiple sources.

The subsidy, which Maryland was promised in negotiations with the conference late last year, made an already appealing offer of Big Ten membership even more attractive to the school.

Since financial details of the agreement are kept private — the amount of the subsidy is not publicly available. But the amount is in the range of $20 million to $30 million, according to sources familiar with the deal.

Also, this should make one other thing clear.....the Big Ten really wanted Maryland. Maybe more than Maryland wanted the Big Ten. Or at least more than Maryland let on. Job well done by Wallace Loh.
  • BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=