CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 12:38 PM

FanGraphs: A High Velocity Usage Tax: A Proposal To Protect Pitchers

https://blogs.fangra...otect-pitchers/

That's a good article. I don't know about limiting the # of RP and all that, but one thing that leapt out at me was an idea buried in the comments section.

The idea mentioned was to assign the life of that game's DH to the length of your starting pitcher's start. 

That's...an interesting concept. 

#3 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,557 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 May 2024 - 01:19 PM

How do you possibly limit a pitcher's wanting to throw max velocity with the kind of money they are making. A kid in HS can throw XX mph. If you try and keep him to <XX he's going to see his potential to get drafted drop and his potential to make several millions of dollars drop.

Which scenario looks better to that HS or even college kid? 

Throw as hard as I can (while still throwing enough strikes) giving myself the best chance at a ML career and earning several + millions of dollars albeit with potentially a short career.

Or dial back the velocity which probably decreased my effectiveness. Lowers my chance at making it to the MLs but giving me a potential for a longer career IF I can still make the pros. 

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what the decision is going to be.

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,259 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 May 2024 - 07:14 PM

I'm not sure this is a problem you can solve.  I'm not sure you need to.

The risks of pro-sports, or an occupation, are what they are.  Sports is a meritocracy.  It should be. If you can make money doing something else, nobody is making anyone play pro-baseball or pitch.

MLB contracts are guaranteed.  Any good pitcher that wants a guaranteed deal can get one. The guys going down with injury had opportunities.  Beiber could have guaranteed his first paycheck.  It may work out for Burnes, but the risks are still there.  GRod is further from FA...he picked an agent that wants the risk on his elbow ligament and not lock in that first 60-80M.  Everybody makes choices.

It's all risk-reward.

It's the same in other areas like steroids.  They're illegal (for pro-sports) but if you're a kid in the DR and someone convinces you [steroids] is a way to make millions, you evaluate the risk-reward.  

Consequences to pitching...but nobody has died from a torn UCL.  It may chnage your life, but it doesn't (directly at least) cut it short.

Everyone wants to find a way to do their best.

Everyone has the opportunity to manage their MLB career as they choose.

You don't have to play baseball.

Teams aren't running out of pitching.

You don't have to pitch when you're hurt.

Where's the issue we have to solve?

• BSLSteveBirrer, mdrunning and makoman like this

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 09:39 AM

It honestly makes it hard for me to get excited about Paul Skenes or whatever other flamethrower comes up next. Everyone knows TJ is coming. It'll come for Grayson and Bradish too. You just need a stockpile of guys who can start.

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,557 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 May 2024 - 10:32 AM

The problem is that there are just very few pitchers, who can get guys out consistently on  ML level that don't throw 95 plus. John Means is an excellent example. He is smart and has command of his pitches. But if his control is off he isn't going to get guys out throwing 91-92. Just no margin for error when you just can't really throw hard.20 years ago you could get a 92mph fastball past a ML hitter. Those days are long gone.

#7 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:51 PM

The problem is that there are just very few pitchers, who can get guys out consistently on  ML level that don't throw 95 plus. John Means is an excellent example. He is smart and has command of his pitches. But if his control is off he isn't going to get guys out throwing 91-92. Just no margin for error when you just can't really throw hard.20 years ago you could get a 92mph fastball past a ML hitter. Those days are long gone.

I think you could still get major league hitters out throwing in the low 90's.  But just as it was for decades, you have to be able to change speeds and work both sides of the plate.  Very few pitchers come inside anymore or try to knock players off the plate.  Not only because it's like this secret code between teams now but most hitters stand so far from the plate that it's pointless to even worry about it.  If you have a good change up and breaking ball, you can make a 91 MPH fastball look a lot quicker.  Pitchers today can get away with poor command because they're throwing so hard, the umpire is going to give them a huge strike zone and hitters are trying to hit every pitch 500 ft. All of that is in favor of the pitcher. 

#8 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 01:34 PM

The problem is that there are just very few pitchers, who can get guys out consistently on ML level that don't throw 95 plus. John Means is an excellent example. He is smart and has command of his pitches. But if his control is off he isn't going to get guys out throwing 91-92. Just no margin for error when you just can't really throw hard.20 years ago you could get a 92mph fastball past a ML hitter. Those days are long gone.

I think it's not that it can be done, but that it's harder and kids aren't coached that way anymore. High velocity is a quick(er) ticket to success, and it's what is pushed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=