Photo

Orioles.com: How will back end of O's rotation look when Rodriguez returns?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 07:00 AM

Orioles.com: How will back end of O's rotation look when Rodriguez returns?

#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 May 2024 - 08:46 AM

Mayo's only path right now is third. No way I am taking Mounty or O'Hearn out of the lineup. Two of the team's most consistent hitters this season. What a loaded club we are right now! And even the guys who are nearing end of contracts have plenty to offer and its not like they are "old". 

Santander turns 30 in Ocotber.

O'Hearn turns 31 in July.

Mountcastle just turned 27.

Jorge Mateo turns 29 next month.

Ramon Urias turns 30 next month.

Now clearly all those guys are not going to be with the O's long term. But every one of those guys is a legit major leaguer and has a handful of solid years left in them. Like I said they aren't old.

#3 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 08:57 AM

Move Westberg back to second and Mayo to third?

Mateo's hitting.250 which puts his value at peak right now. Package him along w/others for relief help?

Leave Holliday at Norfolk this year.

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 11:11 AM

Mayo's only path right now is third. No way I am taking Mounty or O'Hearn out of the lineup. Two of the team's most consistent hitters this season. What a loaded club we are right now! And even the guys who are nearing end of contracts have plenty to offer and its not like they are "old". 

Santander turns 30 in Ocotber.

O'Hearn turns 31 in July.

Mountcastle just turned 27.

Jorge Mateo turns 29 next month.

Ramon Urias turns 30 next month.

Now clearly all those guys are not going to be with the O's long term. But every one of those guys is a legit major leaguer and has a handful of solid years left in them. Like I said they aren't old.

I think Mountcastle's importance to the team is a bit undervalued.  Especially with all the love usually being thrown at Adley, Westburg and Gunnar.  But Mountcastle has developed into an excellent fielding first baseman with a decent bat.  If he ends up hitting between .260-.270 with about 20 homeruns, I'd be very hesitant to move him.  If anything, I'd sign him to extended contract.  

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 11:54 AM

Mountcastle has leveled up, at least so far, this season; both at the plate and in the field.  I think those that were looking to move on from him and replace with one of these stud prospects sooner than later (myself included) may need to reconsider that. Definitely will if he continues like this all season.  One bad month could erase this hot start, so there remains work for him to do to convince more people he's a mid-800s bat. And even in the positive case where he finishes the year like this, some might still think that he's really the upper 700s bat he's been to date, then you might look to sell high and simultaneously open up a spot for Mayo or Kjerstad.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 12:22 PM

I dont know about going to a 6 man this early in the season. It could benefit some of the starters but it puts more pressure on them to go longer in games. 1 less arm in the pen.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=