47 replies to this topic

#21 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,302 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 02:06 PM

I feel bad for the kid because even though he's pretty mature for his age, it still has to sting.  I wouldn't be surprised if the slump continues for a few games at Norfolk because he developed some poor habits trying compensate for being overmatched.  Hopefully, he'll get back to working deep into counts and being more aggressive with balls in the strike zone.  

#22 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,356 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 April 2024 - 03:03 PM

I think the extra year is locked up at this point. He'd have to be back up by late June or July and absolutely kill it the rest of the year to finish top 2.

He's gonna be back way before late June.

#23 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 06:17 PM

It was the right move.

Let him get reset and get things back on track.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#24 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 08:11 PM

It was the right move.

Let him get reset and get things back on track.

My concern when he was brought up was his K rate, defense,  and it was a PR move.

#25 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 April 2024 - 08:58 PM

My concern when he was brought up was his K rate, defense,  and it was a PR move.

I don't think the front office that traded away its cancer survivor 1B/DH while trying to make the playoffs cares about PR 

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:07 PM

I don't think the front office that traded away its cancer survivor 1B/DH while trying to make the playoffs cares about PR

Also nothing about Holliday's K-rate in the minors was a red flag. Limited experience at second a small concern.

#27 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:25 PM

Strictly my opinion. How many 20 year olds get brought up and become stars?. Asking because I don't know and have no desire to do the research. I'm guessing the percentage is low. On the PR side. Even just on this board people were losing their minds when his promotion was announced. 

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,003 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:30 PM

Strictly my opinion. How many 20 year olds get brought up and become stars?. Asking because I don't know and have no desire to do the research. I'm guessing the percentage is low. On the PR side. Even just on this board people were losing their minds when his promotion was announced.

Guys who debut younger become stars more frequently than guys that debut older. They're more talented, which is why they earned the early promotion. Generally speaking, of course. And not usually right away, if that's what you were talking about. He didn't need to be a star right away though, that's not why he was promoted. Just thought that he'd have been better than a solidly average player like Urias.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#29 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:24 PM

Guys who debut younger become stars more frequently than guys that debut older. They're more talented, which is why they earned the early promotion. Generally speaking, of course. And not usually right away, if that's what you were talking about. He didn't need to be a star right away though, that's not why he was promoted. Just thought that he'd have been better than a solidly average player like Urias.

Jackson Chourio is the same age and has looked very credible. That was all I wanted to see from Holliday. Instead he looked utterly lost.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:31 PM

That Machado kid turned out ok if memory serves.

#31 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:33 PM

Gunnar.

#32 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:41 PM

That Machado kid turned out ok if memory serves.

No doubt. But he's one guy. That's why I said I don't know the percentage and haven't done the research to find out. But with you bringing up Machado, might just mean the kid isn't ready. 

#33 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:41 PM

Gunnar.

That's two. 

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:56 PM

ROFL

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,516 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2024 - 11:14 PM

No doubt. But he's one guy. That's why I said I don't know the percentage and haven't done the research to find out. But with you bringing up Machado, might just mean the kid isn't ready. 

Just for reference, Manny played in 67 more MiL games and had over 200 more MiL plate appearances than Holliday. Of course Manny also skipped AAA (which wasn’t uncommon back then for top prospects).

• bmore_ken likes this

#36 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 06:46 AM

I suspect Holliday's struggles are / were about 90% in his head. The K to BB ratio he showed was SO far off his track record at basically every level. I also wonder if he would have fared a little better had be been on the opening day roster. Only because there is generally lots of hype and excitement all around on day one... the return of the O's best team in a long long time, the hoopla over new ownership, Cy Young caliber Corbin Burnes making his O's debut, the young core as a whole, etc. Coming up later sort of magnified the spotlight on Jackson even more, which I would imagine just increased the mental pressure on himself to "prove the hype". Just a theory...
  • bmore_ken likes this

#37 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 April 2024 - 09:28 AM

Here’s players that debuted between ages 18-20 since 1970.

https://stathead.com/tiny/ZMyj3
  • RichardZ likes this

#38 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 10:34 AM

The K rate up here was shocking and a little bit concerning. I dont get how it was that high. Yes it was a SSS but this was a kid who was only at 20% in AA and below 20% in the AAA ABs. The batting avg numbers arent that surpring nor do they bother me at all. But the swing and miss seemingly came from nowhere.

#39 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 11:19 AM

I fully believe that Holliday will be a really good player, but there was no defensible reason to keep him up here. He'll be back.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 April 2024 - 01:46 PM

That jump to big league pitching is just crazy. He got in his head in a hurry. He talked after just the first couple games about how fascinated he was at how big league pitchers were attacking him. He will be totally fine. This adversity will serve him well.
  • BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=