47 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:31 PM

Looks like time for some more seasoning?  Now he knows what to work on...

McKenna has been recalled.

https://www.mlb.com/...oned-by-orioles

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:33 PM

I would have given him the series against Oakland.

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:33 PM

Necessary

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:34 PM

Little surprising they didn't give him a series against a pretty weak Oakland team to try and get going, but the dude was completely overmatched at the plate.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:40 PM

Not surprising at all. Its clear he has stuff to work on/fix

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:42 PM

Oakland might not be as easy a target for him to get untracked as they look. He probably wouldn't have played Saturday against the lefty Sears, and Blackburn has very good splits against LH hitters so far. So if you think it's inevitable he'll need to go down and get some polish, do it now. Plus for all those who wanted that extra year of team control, here it is (probably).

#7 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:43 PM

I'd assume he'll probably he down long enough that he won't really be in consideration for ROY unless he comes back and just torches it, so having the extra year of control will be nice.

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:47 PM

I'd assume he'll probably he down long enough that he won't really be in consideration for ROY unless he comes back and just torches it, so having the extra year of control will be nice.

I think the extra year is locked up at this point. He'd have to be back up by late June or July and absolutely kill it the rest of the year to finish top 2.

#9 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:50 PM

Gimme Norby not McKenna

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:53 PM

Gimme Norby not McKenna

They want the RH who can play CF until Hays returns. No surprise at the choice. Question is will he make it through waivers again when Hays comes back?

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:54 PM

I think the extra year is locked up at this point. He'd have to be back up by late June or July and absolutely kill it the rest of the year to finish top 2.

He has to be optioned for 20 days or he gets credit for all the time on the assignment. So three weeks, basically, but then he'll end 2024 with less than a year of service unless he finished 2nd in ROY.
  • RichardZ likes this

#12 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:05 PM

They want the RH who can play CF until Hays returns. No surprise at the choice. Question is will he make it through waivers again when Hays comes back?

Mateo can be the emergency RH CF. Kjerstad and McKenna both unlikely to see much playing time.

#13 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:09 PM

Isn't this kind of why Mateo is on the team?

#14 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:13 PM

I'd guess that Mateo is going to play 2B against LHP, so he can't play CF, too.  This move means more Urias vs RHP, which is OK with me.

I'd expect Kjerstad to start in LF or RF (or maybe DH, with O'Hearn in RF) against RHP, and then go down once Hays is back.  They could send down McKenna for Hays, but then as has been said, there's not much of a role for Kjerstad.

#15 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:16 PM

I want Mayo.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:23 PM

Mateo can be the emergency RH CF. Kjerstad and McKenna both unlikely to see much playing time.

I think that's just in an emergency. Normally when Mateo plays he'll be in the IF, so they want someone who can regularly play CF if Mullins sits against a LH, at least until Hays returns. It's why I was a bit surprised they brought Kjerstad up over McKenna when Hays went to the IL.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:36 PM

He has to be optioned for 20 days or he gets credit for all the time on the assignment. So three weeks, basically, but then he'll end 2024 with less than a year of service unless he finished 2nd in ROY.

He is going down for awhile. 3 weeks for sure. They arent gonna yoyo him

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:41 PM

He is going down for awhile. 3 weeks for sure. They arent gonna yoyo him

Agree. I think even if we see an injury to Gunnar, Westburg or Urias, they're gonna leave Holliday down for at least a month.

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:46 PM

So aside from just restoring some confidence, is the plan with him to try and have him shorten the leg kick to make his swing a little quicker? Seems a bit soon to start messing with his mechanics. Maybe just focusing on pitch-recognition and working counts is all he needs.

#20 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 01:56 PM

I think that's just in an emergency. Normally when Mateo plays he'll be in the IF, so they want someone who can regularly play CF if Mullins sits against a LH, at least until Hays returns. It's why I was a bit surprised they brought Kjerstad up over McKenna when Hays went to the IL.

He's started 2 games in non-emergency situations and subbed in another. They've also got Cowser who can play CF if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=