#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 April 2024 - 04:06 PM

Nice article Rose!  What about Norby rather than McKenna? He's been playing the OF (no idea how he's rated) but certainly offers more as a RH hitter than McKenna.

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 04:45 PM

There really isnt anything to seriously ponder doing with Hays right now. Unless he really is sick/hurt and they IL him. He is gonna be on the bench the overwhelming majority of the time vs RH starters and he will play LF vs LH starters.

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 April 2024 - 11:50 AM

None of this speaks to causality.  That's the problem with nearly the entire world of baseball analytics today.

...so let me back up...baseball analytics has been great in understanding or identifying certain aspects of the game.  We know 'hitting the ball hard' is good but we've learned through the development of tools to assess the physics of Baseball (and we're doing it everywhere now) things that work better than other things.  If you hit all groundballs, we know why you aren't hitting homeruns and we can look at all of the homeruns that are hit and try to train to the [understanding of the numbers] to achieve better results.  We can do this now with nearly every aspect of the game.

So the question isn't "what does he need to do"....we know that....the question here is "why is he not doing it".  

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 April 2024 - 12:09 PM

My opinion, and this is different for everyone, but if you just build parallels in the world not in Baseball it's easy to see....that this is just mental for Hays, but that is driven by what seems fairly obvious around him.

I know some like the "iron sharpens iron" thing and it's good to a point, but the fact is the roster and playing time is limited and you (Hyde/Elias) have to pick winners and losers.  Hays (I'm guessing, I think he's said it) would like to be part of the future.

Joey Ortiz is excited every day in MIL because he's getting a ton of opportunity there he was never going to get in Baltimore.  He may miss his O's friends, but he wants to play every day and now he is.

By not working a contract where Hays is part of the future and allowing the upward pressure from Organizational OFers (Cowser, Kjerstad, etc) they've told Hays he's not part of the future.  He has to deal with it and he has to be accountable for the results regardless (and who knows what happens), but it seems obvious that you deal with this in different ways and there's layers to it like Stages of Grief.

Hays needs to resolve himself to the role he has, be prepared and help this Team where he can, understanding he's not going to be in Baltimore next year.

If I was another team, I'd be targeting Hays right now (although this really isn't typically the time) because he's likely a give away to resolve the issue....that has other layers of consequence too, but it's what the Orioles have to manage that they haven't seemed willing to at this point.  These situations are all over Baseball which is why there's always "now" opportunity based on the emerging situations of other teams.

He'll have to adjust.  He probably will.  He won't be here next year.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 12:33 PM

Defend the horrible opinion that we should/should've extended Hays in your own dude way.
  • makoman and RichardZ like this

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 April 2024 - 12:41 PM

I don't think Hays will be here next year. But he certainly could be. Turn the rest of the season around and he sure could be. He's still under contract and maybe some other team offers enough to the O's to trade for Norby or whomever they think is the RH hitter they plan to use instead of Hays.

Hardly a foregone conclusion.

#8 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 01:03 PM

Defend the horrible opinion that we should/should've extended Hays in your own dude way.

I'm glad Mullins and Santander were able to overcome the grief of not being extended.

• BobPhelan and RichardZ like this

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 01:05 PM

I don't think Hays will be here next year. But he certainly could be. Turn the rest of the season around and he sure could be. He's still under contract and maybe some other team offers enough to the O's to trade for Norby or whomever they think is the RH hitter they plan to use instead of Hays.

Hardly a foregone conclusion.

Hes likely going to get a chance at every day reps at some point this season. Its going to take either an injury to any of the other OFers or Cowser having a prolonged slump. Hays started the first few games against RH starters so Im not sure how he's been mistreated or how he is so mentally traumatized. But dude logic.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 01:16 PM

"By not working a contract where Hays is part of the future and allowing the upward pressure from Org OFers they've told Hays he's not part of the future".

How dare they allow upwards pressure from Org OFers. Idiots!!!

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 April 2024 - 01:42 PM

So you think Hays is done as a MLB player?

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 April 2024 - 02:16 PM

Just wait 5-6 years when Dude says “they could easily sign Hays to fill the hole in CF” like he’s Jonathan Schoop or something.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 April 2024 - 02:17 PM

So you think Hays is done as a MLB player?

As an MLB player good enough to start on the Orioles, yeah.

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 April 2024 - 03:08 PM

Just wait 5-6 years when Dude says “they could easily sign Hays to fill the hole in CF” like he’s Jonathan Schoop or something.

For anyone that's paying attention to what Bob is trying to do here, he's taking several thoughts out of context and trying to frame them to make my position look bad, as if he's actually sharing an opinion I've had.

It's flat out intellectually dishonest, but he's been doing it a number of times recently.  #character

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 April 2024 - 03:16 PM

As an MLB player good enough to start on the Orioles, yeah.

That's just choices.  I've said many times they can pick any lane they want.  If you ask MY opinion, I've suggested certain things, but my overarching position is make whatever choices you want to make and leverage the assets you aren't using to do something else, build the next layer, whatever.

My position on extending Hays is only a poor one if he can't perform.....and my position was picking between Cowser and Kjerstad with Mullins and Hays.  Last year in May/June, the Oiroles were the only team in MLB with 3 OFers over .800 OPS.  If you wanted to extend Hays, Mullins and Santander, that's fine, execute whatever plan you want.  If you want Cowser, Kjerstad and someone else in CF, cool, that's the decisions you (the Orioles) make and we see what happens.  Rooting for good results regardless.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 03:21 PM

For anyone that's paying attention to what Bob is trying to do here, he's taking several thoughts out of context and trying to frame them to make my position look bad, as if he's actually sharing an opinion I've had.

It's flat out intellectually dishonest, but he's been doing it a number of times recently. #character

No one needs to take any of your baseball thoughts out of context to make your positions look bad.
  • RichardZ likes this

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 April 2024 - 03:28 PM

No one needs to take any of your baseball thoughts out of context to make your positions look bad.

Your analysis isn't something anyone should merit.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 03:30 PM

Your analysis isn't something anyone should merit.

Coming from you thats music to my ears

#19 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 April 2024 - 03:34 PM

Coming from you thats music to my ears

...and you proved my point.  #evidence

#20 TwentyThirtyFive