HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:46 AM

Derrick Henry, welcome to Baltimore. 2/16
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:52 AM

I wanted Henry badly on his draft day and knew the Titans were getting a beast if given the chance. It took awhile but it will be great to finally see him in a Ravens uniform.  Hopefully, he still has enough juice in the tank to put up some solid numbers over the next couple of years.  

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:56 AM

I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong about signing a 30 year old running back with eleventy-billion miles on his tires who demands the ball 25 times a game for not one, but two years.

Ugh.

#4 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:00 PM

And free crabcakes for life.

Ok,@KingHenry_2- we’re upping the offer! Free Crabcakes AND free Crabcake Egg Rolls for life if you sign with The@Ravens! Sign the deal!

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:01 PM

Nice. Right player right price. Henry still has juice left.

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:01 PM

Slide big mad when they don't run the ball enough. Slide big mad when they sign the biggest workhorse RB in FB.

For the record, I'm indifferent on Henry. Hopefully he still has some juice in the tank.
  • BobPhelan, DuffMan, bmore_ken and 1 other like this

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:05 PM

Can't be any guaranteed money in the second year, right?

Ingram was 30 when the Ravens signed him and that worked out great at first at least.  Ingram only had 1300 career carries at the time, Henry is already over 2k.

I trust them in general, we'll see how it goes.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:07 PM

ESPN: Free-agent Derrick Henry is signing a two-year, $16 million deal worth up to $20 million, including $9 million fully guaranteed in the first year with the Baltimore Ravens, sources tell ESPN.

#9 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:07 PM

Slide big mad when they don't run the ball enough. Slide big mad when they sign the biggest workhorse RB in FB.

For the record, I'm indifferent on Henry. Hopefully he still has some juice in the tank.

Henry is a volume running back. He has traditionally thrived on getting 18-25 carries a game and wearing down a defense. He's not going to get that here. He's also on the wrong side of 30 with more wear on his tread than anyone in the league, and showed signs of decline last year.

Don't be fooled by the big name. This isn't the Derrick Henry that exposed the Ravens in 2019. Father time is undefeated, and Henry doesn't fit this offense.

#10 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:12 PM

This is promising. I think his great decline is being overstated. Of course he is declining but when you're starting from 2000 yards in a year you have a good deal that you can fall and still be effective. And if 9M is guaranteed the risk isn't huge.

Ian Hartitz

@Ihartitz

Derrick Henry yards AFTER contact per carry:
2023: 3.3 (8th)
2022: 3.6 (4th)
2021: 3.3 (9th)
2020: 3.9 (2nd)

Titans yards BEFORE contact per carry:
2023: 0.9 (30th)
2022: 1.0 (30th)
2021: 1.3 (18th)
2020: 1.5 (13th)

Ravens yards before contact per carry:
2020-23: 1.8 (1st)
12:49 PM · Mar 12, 2024
https://twitter.com/...593655873806707

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:13 PM

This is promising. I think his great decline is being overstated. Of course he is declining but when you're starting from 2000 yards in a year you have a good deal that you can fall and still be effective. And if 9M is guaranteed the risk isn't huge.

Ian Hartitz

@Ihartitz

Derrick Henry yards AFTER contact per carry:
2023: 3.3 (8th)
2022: 3.6 (4th)
2021: 3.3 (9th)
2020: 3.9 (2nd)

Titans yards BEFORE contact per carry:
2023: 0.9 (30th)
2022: 1.0 (30th)
2021: 1.3 (18th)
2020: 1.5 (13th)

Ravens yards before contact per carry:
2020-23: 1.8 (1st)
12:49 PM · Mar 12, 2024
https://twitter.com/...593655873806707

slide doesnt have a clue what hes talking about. Shocking I know

• BobPhelan likes this

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:16 PM

slide doesnt have a clue what hes talking about. Shocking I know

You're right. 30-year-old running backs with 2k+ carries who are used to being the centerpiece of their offense usually do very well getting half their normal volume in an offense that doesn't really care about a feature back.

They just paid 16 million for Gus Edwards production.

#13 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:17 PM

Whatever. I guess it doesn't matter anyway. He's not solving their problems even if he plays well.

#14 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:19 PM

Derrick Henry + Keaton Mitchell is the thunderest + lightneingest thunder and lightning pairing one could conceive of

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:20 PM

You're right. 30-year-old running backs with 2k+ carries who are used to being the centerpiece of their offense usually do very well getting half their normal volume in an offense that doesn't really care about a feature back.

You're all schtick and its stale AF already. Especially when you bomb away essentially the same post over and over. Fine do your thing but do it one time. We dont need you essentially making the  the same post 5-10 times. Someone will come along and eventually give you the attention you crave. 

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:21 PM

Mina Kimes@minakimes·

Derrick Henry + Keaton Mitchell is the thunderest + lightneingest thunder and lightning pairing one could conceive of

I really doubt Mitchell plays in 2024. He tore his knee up in late December. Some guys are back in under a year, but not a lot of RBs.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:22 PM

I liked Gus for what he was.  A good back, who didn't need a ton of touches, who could effectively work between the tackles running downhill. 

I think he was generally underrated, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him have a quality year with the Chargers. 

Henry obviously has wear and tear, but I don't think it's going on a limb to say he will be productive as a Raven.
His touches will go down, his legs will be fresher, and he will produce. When you have the lead, and it's the 4th Quarter, you will want to feed him, and make opposing teams quit.

One thing Henry brings over Edwards is the name...  which I get will be dismissed by many, but my suspicion is that teams will respect Henry more... load up the box more.... and thus create more opportunities for 1x1 matchups in the passing game.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#18 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:22 PM

You're all schtick and its stale AF already. Especially when you bomb away essentially the same post over and over. Fine do your thing but do it one time. We dont need you essentially making the the same post 5-10 times. Someone will come along and eventually give you the attention you crave.

I'm allowed to reply to you when you reply to me. You don't police the board, nor do you get to tell me what to post and when to post it.

#19 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:24 PM

I really doubt Mitchell plays in 2024. He tore his knee up in late December. Some guys are back in under a year, but not a lot of RBs.

On top of that, it usually takes them an additional year to get right anyway.

#20 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:25 PM

I liked Gus for what he was. A good back, who didn't need a ton of touches, who could effectively work between the tackles running downhill.

I think he was generally underrated, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him have a quality year with the Chargers.

Henry obviously has wear and tear, but I don't think it's going on a limb to say he will be productive as a Raven.
His touches will go down, his legs will be fresher, and he will produce. When you have the lead, and it's the 4th Quarter, you will want to feed him, and make opposing teams quit.

One thing Henry brings over Edwards is the name... which I get will be dismissed by many, but my suspicion is that teams will respect Henry more... load up the box more.... and thus create more opportunities for 1x1 matchups in the passing game.

I'm sure he will be serviceable. He will not be worth anything close to the money they paid him, nor do I think he's going to be a substantial upgrade. It feels very much to me like they just paid $16 million for 5 to 10% better production from the position. That's not worth it when you could probably have found that in the draft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=