#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 March 2024 - 10:31 AM

Mercifully, Maryland's regular season comes to a close on Sunday night when they head north to face off against Penn State. The Terps have lost 7 of their last 10 games, including last weekend's matchup against Indiana. When these teams met in early December, Kevin Willard's squad came away with an overtime victory in College Park.

The only real significance that this game has is the battle for a first-round bye in the Big Ten Tournament. Michigan is the only team currently locked into a first-round game, with Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Indiana, and Minnesota still in play for a Wednesday matchup in Minneapolis.

KenPom Rankings

• Maryland: #52 (#155 AdjO, #7 AdjD; #308 AdjT)
  • Penn State: #82 (#85 AdjO, #99 AdjD; #54 AdjT)

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 10:50 AM

Honestly didn't know we were still in the mix for the potential 1st round bye.  That's not completely insignificant.  Given all of the close games I still think this team has the potential to make a run in the B1G tourney.  I certainly wouldn't bet money on it but it wouldn't shock me much either.  This league stinks right now.

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 March 2024 - 10:58 AM

Honestly didn't know we were still in the mix for the potential 1st round bye.  That's not completely insignificant.  Given all of the close games I still think this team has the potential to make a run in the B1G tourney.  I certainly wouldn't bet money on it but it wouldn't shock me much either.  This league stinks right now.

They're 1-10 this season in games decided by five points or less. So I'm sure their first tournament game will be close, but they'll almost certainly lose it.

• B00E00N00 and makoman like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#4 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 11:08 AM

They're 1-10 this season in games decided by five points or less. So I'm sure their first tournament game will be close, but they'll almost certainly lose it.

They will lose by 4, the other team will be 27-29 from FT, and the Terps will be 3-19 from 3. 

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 11:15 AM

They will lose by 4, the other team will be 27-29 from FT, and the Terps will be 3-19 from 3.

3-19 is being generous.

#6 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 11:50 AM

I think this is right.  I'm just saying there's no team in the B1G that I look at and think man, MD has no chance against that team.  Obviously Purdue is the closest but I don't think they're all that.  

I wouldn't feel this way if we played in a conference with Houston or UCONN.

#7 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, that FT run was a little ridiculous.  I think there was a stretch there were MD play 3 out of 4 games where teams took 30 FTs and hit 90+% of them.  That's just incredibly bad luck.

And I'm not saying it's all bad luck, certainly they haven't played well especially on the offensive end, but sometimes it's just one of those seasons.

#8 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 02:10 PM

Way to spoil the ending of the movie that we all saw coming anyway... :)

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:48 AM

Penn State enters this game as 1.5-point favorites. ESPN gives them a 55.4% chance to win.
@BSLZackKiesel

#10 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 09:17 AM

PSU has a week to prepare so they'll know the Terps O; isn't that right Kev? PSU minus pts, yuck.

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2024 - 06:44 PM

Reese out for this game due to an ankle injury.
@BSLZackKiesel

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2024 - 07:21 PM

36-32 Penn State at halftime.

Maryland shooting 10/29 from the field (34.5%), 3/14 from beyond the arc (21.4%), and 9/10 from the free throw line (90.0%). Being out-rebounded 24-16 by Penn State.

Young and Scott are the only starters to score thus far.
@BSLZackKiesel

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2024 - 07:41 PM

Qudus Wahab already has a double-double for Penn State, just a few minutes into the second half.
@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2024 - 07:55 PM

Maryland getting annihilated on the glass. Penn State pulling away, slowly but surely.
@BSLZackKiesel

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:03 PM

This is a mercy killing. What a terrible season. Gonna be under .500... unbelievable.

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:19 PM

Regardless of this game’s outcome, neither team will receive a first-round bye in the Big Ten Tournament based on other results today. It’ll be the first time Maryland has ever played on the tournament’s first day since joining the conference.
@BSLZackKiesel

#17 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:20 PM

Started watching with about 10 to go and for some reason am still watching. Is Scott hurt? Hasn't been in at all from what I've seen.

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:24 PM

Started watching with about 10 to go and for some reason am still watching. Is Scott hurt? Hasn't been in at all from what I've seen.

Not hurt, at least that I’m aware of. Willard may be resting him since they have very little to play for as far as tournament seeding goes.
@BSLZackKiesel

#19 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:33 PM

Penn State wins, 85-69.

For the second time in three years, Maryland finishes with a losing record in the regular season.

They’ve earned the #12 seed in the Big Ten Tournament, and will face off against #13 seed Rutgers on Wednesday in Minneapolis at 6:30 PM ET. Broadcast will be exclusively on Peacock.
@BSLZackKiesel

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:58 PM

I somehow survived the Bias death, the Wade-era and the no-TV season at the start of Gary’s tenure with my passion for MD basketball intact. But right now I can’t even muster the smallest amount of energy to care that what looks like their last game of the season will be banished to a streaming service I have zero intention of subscribing to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=