#21 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 April 2024 - 11:39 AM

Just booked 5 nights in a cabin down in Ashville in June.  Send me Beer Places to check out!

Also going camping out at Swallow Falls first week of July with my sis and her kids as well

#22 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 10:02 AM

Miami is the best US city.

Maybe by a mile.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 May 2024 - 01:12 PM

Maybe by a mile.

Bad post

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#24 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 May 2024 - 02:17 PM

Maybe by a mile.

Nah

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 02:33 PM

Bad post

Says Outback Coors Lite guy. You probably think Times Square is cool. ;)

It had been NOLA before...Miami bridged the gap and hasn't looked back.

I do love both places, though.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 03:19 PM

New Orleans San Diego San Francisco Seattle Chicago Boston NYC all better.

I can probably think of more if given a chance

@bopper33

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2024 - 05:36 PM

Maybe by a mile.

Went through there going to/from Argentina/Antarctica. I guess if sitting in traffic with a bunch of psychos is your thing....

#28 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 08:15 PM

New Orleans San Diego San Francisco Seattle Chicago Boston NYC all better.

I can probably think of more if given a chance

Been to all of them except SD and Seattle.

SF? LOL. I went there before it became a public poop fest and wasn’t that impressed.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 09:37 PM

I'll say something that I think I have pretty much already said here (and gotten some crap for saying so I'll try to say it a slightly different way):

You can have a great time in just about any city worth anything for a long weekend or so. However, that comes down to you roughly as much as it comes down to the city. Did you make good choices? Were you in a good state of mind to explore and have a good time? Were you with good company? I feel like when people don't have a good time or weren't impressed, the answer to at least one of those questions is no. People generally don't want to blame themselves though, so the city sucks.

Now the longer one stays in a place the less what I said matters, but I've traveled enough, including back to some of the same places over and over again to know that what I said above is pertinent. 

Also, some places have higher ceilings than others, which to me is something that separates these places from each other. Like I think New Orleans has an amazingly high ceiling, but if people do a basic trip there, then it may kinda suck. 

#30 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 10:15 PM

I'll say something that I think I have pretty much already said here (and gotten some crap for saying so I'll try to say it a slightly different way):

You can have a great time in just about any city worth anything for a long weekend or so. However, that comes down to you roughly as much as it comes down to the city. Did you make good choices? Were you in a good state of mind to explore and have a good time? Were you with good company? I feel like when people don't have a good time or weren't impressed, the answer to at least one of those questions is no. People generally don't want to blame themselves though, so the city sucks.

Now the longer one stays in a place the less what I said matters, but I've traveled enough, including back to some of the same places over and over again to know that what I said above is pertinent.

Also, some places have higher ceilings than others, which to me is something that separates these places from each other. Like I think New Orleans has an amazingly high ceiling, but if people do a basic trip there, then it may kinda suck.

You’re not wrong. I’ve had great times in plenty of cities most consider meh.

@bopper33

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 08:01 AM

Oh yeah. I've never left a place and said to myself, "That place sucked". I always enjoy where I go and ranking cities above another doesn't mean that I don't like a place I rank lower. I actually enjoyed SF a lot. But when I look back at all the places I've been and the memories of those experiences, a city like SF was toward the bottom of the list. Maybe it was because we went to Napa after staying in SF and that part of the trip dominates my memories.

I really like culture, and feeling like I'm out of my comfort zone when I visit another place. It's why I love to travel internationally so much. In Miami, you have the Latin flavor, plus a very solid Asian food scene. Plus you can do city stuff and then chill at a great tropical beach in the same day. Not many other cities in this continent can offer that. My second favorite city is New Orleans for the same cultural reasons.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 08:47 AM

Only been to Miami once but the Cuban food was insane.  Still, Key West is my preferred Florida town.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 10:41 AM

Miami is cool, especially for the beach and the Cuban food. I don't think it's one of the better food cities in the country though, nor one of the better cultural ones. Besides the Cuban/Latino part, the main parts that people generally visit are primarily populated by rich people, mostly white and mostly transplants. So kinda like LA, but there's much more diversity out there and partially as a result, a much better food scene.

However, to my earlier point, if you emphasize culture, of course you can find plenty of it and enjoy yourself.

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 May 2024 - 12:30 PM

I mean I had a blast hanging out in Fairbanks, Alaska once (disclosure....it was the end of June). Something about doing a midnight bar crawl, half-wasted, with the sun still beating down on you is kinda surreal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=