20 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 February 2024 - 09:11 PM

Got a bucket-lister coming up. Leave this Wednesday on a 2.5-week trip that'll ultimately end up in Antarctica (by way of S Fla, Buenos Aires and Ushuaia). Travel there from Ushuaia via Viking cruise lines - and I'm really not a cruise type of person - but unless you are connected with a well-funded scientific research team, a cruise is about the only way you're getting down there.

Once this trip is complete, I'll have visited 6 of the 7 continents, with only Australia to go. And if I can just dip my toes in the Southern Ocean at some point, I'll have wet my feet in all 5 major oceans (already did Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Arctic).

Despite the polar location, Viking advertises they have shipboard internet via satellite, so I'll do my best to keep up with all the spring-training goings on while away. But if I don't keep the College Football Coaching Carousel thread up-to-date, you'll know why.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, mweb08 and 3 others like this

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:42 AM

That sounds awesome. Enjoy it.

I just got back from Aruba. Been 3 times. Enjoyed it every time. 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:22 AM

Got a bucket-lister coming up. Leave this Wednesday on a 2.5-week trip that'll ultimately end up in Antarctica (by way of S Fla, Buenos Aires and Ushuaia). Travel there from Ushuaia via Viking cruise lines - and I'm really not a cruise type of person - but unless you are connected with a well-funded scientific research team, a cruise is about the only way you're getting down there.

Once this trip is complete, I'll have visited 6 of the 7 continents, with only Australia to go. And if I can just dip my toes in the Southern Ocean at some point, I'll have wet my feet in all 5 major oceans (already did Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Arctic).

Despite the polar location, Viking advertises they have shipboard internet via satellite, so I'll do my best to keep up with all the spring-training goings on while away. But if I don't keep the College Football Coaching Carousel thread up-to-date, you'll know why.

in-starship-troopers-1997-you-can-tell-e

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 06:59 PM

That sounds awesome. Enjoy it.

I just got back from Aruba. Been 3 times. Enjoyed it every time. 

My step-siblings own a condo there, but I've never had the chance to visit myself. Someday maybe.

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 08:52 AM

My step-siblings own a condo there, but I've never had the chance to visit myself. Someday maybe.

Been looking to buy one myself. Probably missed the best opportunity, since COVID prices have gone up drastically...like everywhere else.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 February 2024 - 09:06 AM

2024 plans:

- Puerto Rico (already happened)
- Pittsburgh O's/Eclipse long weekend
- Cincinnati O's weekend
- New Orleans
- Spain and the South of France with some Olympic ⚽️ mixed in

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 03:06 PM

I’ll be in San Diego for a couple days in May. Padres game is on the list. What else should I do? Not really into the big deals like the Zoo, or Lego land. More like beaches, hiking, scenery, food?
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 February 2024 - 04:51 PM

I’ll be in San Diego for a couple days in May. Padres game is on the list. What else should I do? Not really into the big deals like the Zoo, or Lego land. More like beaches, hiking, scenery, food?

You can kayak and swim with sea lions at La Jolla and there's hiking in that area as well (Torrey Pines is right over there too).

The brewery scene is top notch there (I could give more tips on this if interested).

The zoo is pretty great, but I get not wanting to spend a day there given limited time (especially if you aren't going with your family?). Balboa Park, which the zoo is in is potentially worth visiting regardless, though. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#9 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 February 2024 - 05:49 PM

Pizza Port!
  • Mike in STL likes this

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 07:19 PM

You can kayak and swim with sea lions at La Jolla and there's hiking in that area as well (Torrey Pines is right over there too).

The brewery scene is top notch there (I could give more tips on this if interested).

The zoo is pretty great, but I get not wanting to spend a day there given limited time (especially if you aren't going with your family?). Balboa Park, which the zoo is in is potentially worth visiting regardless, though.

La Jolla sounds great. Top 2 or 3 breweries to try might be up our alley. No kids this trip, would do the zoo and other stuff if we had them.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 February 2024 - 10:04 PM

La Jolla is great. You've got the Cove for seals and sea lions, La Jolla Shores for the beach, and a ton of shopping and restaurants.

My favorite area out here is Ocean Beach/Point Loma. Old school surf vibe with a ton of great breweries (OB Brewery, Kilowatt, California Wild Ales, Pizza Port, etc.). Point Loma National Monument is a good visit, and Sunset Cliffs is my go-to spot to catch a sunset.

San Diego's Little Italy is one of the best in the country, tons of great restaurant options near the bay. Better to eat there than Seaport Village, which ends up being kind of a tourist trap (though not a bad area to just walk around). Same goes for Shelter Island, nice to walk around but the quality food options are lacking.

The best pure beach in the city is probably Coronado, though if you have time to hit the North County beaches they're even better (Del Mar, Encinitas, Oceanside, etc.). If you hit one area in North County, make it Encinitas. Some great breweries there as well (Culture, Modern Times, etc.).

The most important thing to do here, though, is sample the Mexican food. You can find quality everywhere, but two of my favorites are Humberto's in Golden Hill and Mike's Taco Club in OB. Great California burritos and carne asada fries at both locations.

On a final note, there are a ton of amazing breweries out here. Ballast Point, Mike Hess, Stone, and Karl Strauss are your famous ones. But in addition to the ones I listed above, Pure Project in Banker's Hill is one of my absolute favorites near downtown.

• Mike in STL likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 February 2024 - 12:20 PM

Sarasota/Siesta Key in a little over two weeks.

Man, rental car prices are absurd these days lol.  There are six of us so we need a big SUV and it's gonna cost over $500 for three days.  

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 06:57 AM

Sarasota/Siesta Key in a little over two weeks.

Man, rental car prices are absurd these days lol.  There are six of us so we need a big SUV and it's gonna cost over $500 for three days.  

I'll be down there too. Going to ST?

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:51 AM

I'll be down there too. Going to ST?

Yup

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 08:57 PM

Just small sample of Antarctica photos. It was as spectacular as it looks.

Gentoo-Rookery.jpg

Lemaire-Channel.jpg

Gentoo-Penguin.jpg

Humpback.jpg

Penguin-Octantis.jpg

Fur-Seal.jpg

Wooden-Ship.jpg

• BSLChrisStoner, mweb08, NewMarketSean and 3 others like this

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 06:54 AM

Those are some amazing photos.

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 06:55 AM

I am going to Naples and Puglia region in August/September. Short stopover in Rome before we fly home. Been to Rome before, but Naples and Puglia are new to me.

Going to Miami for a long weekend next month.

#18 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 08:23 AM

Last minute trip to Peru next week for 10 days. Flying to Lima, then to Cusco for a couple of days to see Machu Picchu, then back to Lima for a week.
  • Mackus and NewMarketSean like this

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 09:05 AM

Last minute trip to Peru next week for 10 days. Flying to Lima, then to Cusco for a couple of days to see Machu Picchu, then back to Lima for a week.

Eat lots of alpaca, different dishes and different cuts, not just lomo saltado. Get cuy to try it, but only once, it's nothing special. The ceviche in Lima is unbelievable, ask around for the best local spots.

If you're staying in or near Miraflores in Lima, check out Ayahuasca, really cool bar.

#20 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 11:30 AM

Girlfriend was born in Lima and we're going her parents / sister who were all born and lived Lima for quite a while. Should find some pretty good local spots.

The air BNB we're staying at is in Miraflores, so definitely have to check that bar out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=