107 replies to this topic

#101 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,110 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 February 2024 - 10:47 PM

Reese also took 23 3-PT shots as a freshman, making 7 for 30%.

He hasn't attempted a 3-PT shot since his freshman year.

Not that it's something he should probably make a regular part of his game, but have to wonder the change in offensive philosophy.

I get that he's not shooting 3s given he's been the only playable big, other than Emilien last year, on the roster. Though if he wants a post-college basketball job he'd be wise to try and add that to his arsenal.

The huge drop in FT% is more puzzling to me. Is the combination of being a starter plus being a little less foul prone, and thus logging more minutes on the floor, affecting him when he goes to the line? Did Willard or someone on the staff get in his head or mess with his form?

#102 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,712 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2024 - 07:32 AM

I think there’s a better chance of being Louisville next season than turning it around. This program is in terrible shape.

#103 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,814 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 07:49 AM

I think there’s a better chance of being Louisville next season than turning it around. This program is in terrible shape.

It looks really bad. Hard to envision them having a competent roster next year. Reese and what??? And thats a big assumption at this point that Reese is back.

#104 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,712 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2024 - 07:55 AM

I couldn’t honestly even care less about Reese at this point. He rarely impacts games the way a player as talented as he is should. As Mack said last night, the freshman have made zero progress, and it’s February. We’re truly in the danger zone moving forward.

#105 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,814 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 08:06 AM

No doubt a mess. I will be surprised if next year isnt worse than this year. And I think this season could still end pretty ugly.

#106 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 08:49 AM

I get that he's not shooting 3s given he's been the only playable big, other than Emilien last year, on the roster. Though if he wants a post-college basketball job he'd be wise to try and add that to his arsenal.

The huge drop in FT% is more puzzling to me. Is the combination of being a starter plus being a little less foul prone, and thus logging more minutes on the floor, affecting him when he goes to the line? Did Willard or someone on the staff get in his head or mess with his form?

His form looks awful, or at least his rhythm.  Which is probably why he sees opponents get lane violations on occasion.  You don't see those very often, and I've seen at least a couple times very recently that Reese specifically has had an opponent jump early.  It's so, so strange.

Free throw shooting is some combination or product of mental approach and effort / practice.  I THINK I've heard Knoche (? maybe) say that Julian puts the time in to practice, and Willard works overtime with him on it.  Who really knows.  It's feasible that a guy can go through the motions of putting in the extra work without really being present or caring about it.  Hope that's not him.  But if it hasn't improved by now, it probably never will.  I think at least a couple of these close one possession losses are probably wins if Julian can just hit a few more FTs.

#107 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 12:09 PM

We can talk all we want about development and offensive rhythm and sets and all of that.  

They're shooting 28.7% from 3, good for 347th in the nation.

Young 35.2%.

Long 34.0

Scott 33.9

Batchelor 32.1

Kaiser 24.1

Harris-Smith 16.1

Geronimo 15.8

It's really really hard to win basketball games in a major conference when you shoot that poorly.

Harris-Smith and Geronimo, what are you even doing taking shots from out there.  Just stop already.  You're wide open for a reason.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#108 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,054 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:23 PM

Kaiser belongs in the what are you even doing taking 3s group. He had one decent game where he made 4 of 5.

Young and Scott are the only guys who should even attempt 3s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=