#601 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 10:20 AM

Stanley took a huge pay cut.

In total took essentially a 7.5M pay cut, and instead gets 10M in not likely to be earned incentives that aren’t known yet. So a chance to earn more if he (and perhaps the team) does things that he didn’t do this year. 2024 cap hit went down 9.6M to 17M. 

Also 2025 is now a void year so this is his last year here. Next year's hit goes up 1.5M because he got a 3M signing bonus as part of this, but no base anymore obviously. He also can’t yield a comp pick due to that. But unless he wants to retire he’s playing for a lot of incentives AND a new contract so he’ll have plenty of motivation.

Brian McFarland is the only place I’ve seen details, split into several posts. Here is one:

https://twitter.com/...634931586973786

#602 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 10:46 AM

Stanley took a huge pay cut.

In total took essentially a 7.5M pay cut, and instead gets 10M in not likely to be earned incentives that aren’t known yet. So a chance to earn more if he (and perhaps the team) does things that he didn’t do this year. 2024 cap hit went down 9.6M to 17M.

Also 2025 is now a void year so this is his last year here. Next year's hit goes up 1.5M because he got a 3M signing bonus as part of this, but no base anymore obviously. He also can’t yield a comp pick due to that. But unless he wants to retire he’s playing for a lot of incentives AND a new contract so he’ll have plenty of motivation.

Brian McFarland is the only place I’ve seen details, split into several posts. Here is one:

https://twitter.com/...634931586973786

Surprised he didn't just asked to be traded or released. There is a human element to this. Possible he really doesn't feel like moving to a new place and starting all over. Figured it was worth just taking the pay cut and staying home for one more season. Probably thinks if he stays healthy all season and returns to his all-pro level, he can get one more contract next year.

#603 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 10:54 AM

That $10 million in NLTBE incentives wouldn't go against the cap until 2025 if they were, in fact, reached.

Didn't know that a shortened deal disqualified a player from yielding a comp pick. But with a void year replacing a salary year in 2025, Stanley is not subject to compensation should he sign elsewhere after this coming season.

#604 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 11:01 AM

Surprised he didn't just asked to be traded or released. There is a human element to this. Possible he really doesn't feel like moving to a new place and starting all over. Figured it was worth just taking the pay cut and staying home for one more season. Probably thinks if he stays healthy all season and returns to his all-pro level, he can get one more contract next year.

Probably something the Ravens would have wanted to avoid since all of that dead money would have accelerated against their cap for this year. The fact that Stanley was willing to accept an $8 million cut in base salary suggests that few teams likely would have been likely to trade for him and pay the $11 million his previous contract called for.

#605 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 12:00 PM

Respect to Ronnie for playing ball.  That's a deeper paycut than I'd have thought he'd accept especially as NLTBE incentives are going to be challenging for him to get unless its huge payout amounts for simply getting to 14, 15, 16, and 17 games played.  

#606 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 12:42 PM

I guess you can give respect. But the reality is even with his pay cut, he's still made enough money to last 5 of our lifetimes. I wish more players would do this. 

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#607 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 15 March 2024 - 12:59 PM

If he comes out and balls out would you extend him? If we draft a tackle we can keep him at RT and there are plenty of OTs that can maintain a high level of play into their mid 30s.

#608 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:07 PM

If he comes out and balls out would you extend him? If we draft a tackle we can keep him at RT and there are plenty of OTs that can maintain a high level of play into their mid 30s.

I would consider it but only for a deal that's like the LT version of what Moses signed here. Back end top-10 money over only 3 years with a modest guarantee. Mostly ready to move on, especially if we draft a tackle this year who looks good, but a strong year would be meaningful.

#609 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:12 PM

I would consider it but only for a deal that's like the LT version of what Moses signed here. Back end top-10 money over only 3 years with a modest guarantee. Mostly ready to move on, especially if we draft a tackle this year who looks good, but a strong year would be meaningful.

Well, back-end top-10 money is basically his old base salary that he took a pay cut from. So that would be like 3/50 or 4/65 with ~30m guaranteed.

For what it's worth I think his level of play in 2022 suggests that the ankle injury that sidelined him prior is mostly in the rear view mirror, it's just a matter of keeping the rest of him healthy and keeping him from reinjuring it.

#610 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 01:15 PM

Well, back-end top-10 money is basically his old base salary that he took a pay cut from. So that would be like 3/50 or 4/65 with ~30m guaranteed.

Yeah sounds about like what I had in mind. Only if he has a strong year, of course. I'm skeptical that happens, but if it does I'd regain a lot of confidence in him.

#611 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 03:18 PM

What would be balling out?  Pro Bowl production over 15 or more games?

First thing he'd have to do to warrant a possible extension is show he can stay on the field.

2020 6 games

2021 1 game

2022 11 games

2023 13 games

#612 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 03:32 PM

What would be balling out? Pro Bowl production over 15 or more games?

First thing he'd have to do to warrant a possible extension is show he can stay on the field.

2020 6 games
2021 1 game
2022 11 games
2023 13 games

Let's say he stays on the field at least 15 games and has a top-10 pass block win rate or 75+ PFF blocking grade.

#613 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 04:13 PM

What would be balling out? Pro Bowl production over 15 or more games?

That certainly would count.

#614 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:11 PM

Huntley signed with the Browns.  He signed for the minimum, so the Ravens must've not had any interest in bringing him back.

#615 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:17 PM

Huntley signed with the Browns. He signed for the minimum, so the Ravens must've not had any interest in bringing him back.

Nope. Figured he wouldnt cost much so interesting to see their plan. Could be Cunningham like you said but I doubt thats it. Some competition.

#616 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:23 PM

Nope. Figured he wouldnt cost much so interesting to see their plan. Could be Cunningham like you said but I doubt thats it. Some competition.

Ravens brought back Josh Johnson.  So that's the room.  I'd be surprised if they do anything else.

#617 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:25 PM

I really don't see any reason to add a QB unless there is an injury.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#618 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:32 PM

I really don't see any reason to add a QB unless there is an injury.

They'll need another camp body or two, so I'd expect an undrafted FA. But that's about it. I don't think anyone with a shot at making the roster is coming in.

#619 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:55 PM

Didnt know they still had Johnson.

#620 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:57 PM

Just resigned him to a one-year deal.

Really hope Cunningham sticks as the back up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=