Photo

Memories From AFCC Wins Over Oakland & NE?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 10:49 AM

Ravens at Oakland

Ravens at New England

Know the links above show as unavailable here, but you can click and see the highlights at YouTube.

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 January 2024 - 10:50 AM

I remember having zero worry playing Oakland. I knew we were winning that one.

NE always a concern but the game wasn’t that competitive. Still annoyed with the year before. I think we would have repeated.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 10:52 AM

Same about Oakland.   Though they had a really good ground game, and Gannon had had the big year.
Obviously remember Tony's splash.

The New England game, I was just excited they got back and had that opportunity.
There was a lot of familiarity, and I felt very good about the Ravens chances. 

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 11:01 AM

Imagine had Evans hung on and we beat the Giants and we do repeat in '12. Changes a lot. I think the Ravens may have become a big national brand. Harbuagh and maybe even Joe woulda locked up HOF inductions in that moment

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 11:10 AM

The NE rematch felt like the culmination of a 5 year run.

They weren't great that regular season for a number of reasons, but that was the 3rd title game in 5 yrs.

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 January 2024 - 11:17 AM

Outside of NE has there been a more successful franchise this century? We are spoiled.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 11:20 AM

Colts vs. Raiders, January 3, 1971

Duel in the Dust

#8 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 11:56 AM

Colts vs. Raiders, January 3, 1971

Duel in the Dust

I watched this yesterday.  I remember watching SB V, but I don’t remember watching this game.  I was two months shy of my 8th birthday.

#9 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 12:01 PM

I remember having zero worry playing Oakland. I knew we were winning that one.
NE always a concern but the game wasn’t that competitive. Still annoyed with the year before. I think we would have repeated.

Oakland was a machine that year offensively and to be honest, I thought they'd beat the Ravens. I just thought our offense was average at best and they would ultimately outscore us. I knew we had a great defense but still thought Oakland was going to be too much over 4 quarters. I don't remember how people were talking on TV about the game but I would think most were picking the Raiders. Once they knocked Gannon out of the game and had a lead, I started getting excited. It was still tense for me but man, that defense was just incredible. Opposing teams really had no answer to them. They were just too suffocating, too fast, and had too much talent.

#10 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 12:36 PM

I watched this yesterday.  I remember watching SB V, but I don’t remember watching this game.  I was two months shy of my 8th birthday.

As I posted on another thread, there was an article today in the Sun regarding this game, and it turns out it was blacked out in the local viewing area. I wasn't quite six years old yet, so I don't remember much about that game, but I had no idea it couldn't be watched in the Baltimore area. 

Turns out that was the M.O. for all NFL broadcasts back then for all teams' home games. It wasn't modified until 1973 with the "72-hour rule," meaning that the game needed to sell out 72 hours before game time in order to be shown in the local market. That was the case with the Colts-Raiders 1977 divisional playoff; it was blacked out here due to not selling out within the prescribed time. 

#11 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 01:27 PM

I was pretty confident about the Ravens at Oakland title game in 2000. That run defense was a brick wall, nobody was doing anything on the ground in my mind, no matter how good another team's run game had been against everyone else. Goose and Adams clogged between the hashes, Burnett and McCrary set great edges to contain, and the LBs flew to the ball en masse. And if somehow a RB found some daylight, Woodson or Herring were almost always there to end it.

By the playoffs, kind of like this year, I thought they could and probably would beat anyone as long as Dilfer didn't give the ball away... in general, self inflicted damage giving away field position or points worried me more than the opponent. Teams had to have GREAT days just to get to 14 or 17 points.

#12 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 02:23 PM

As I posted on another thread, there was an article today in the Sun regarding this game, and it turns out it was blacked out in the local viewing area. I wasn't quite six years old yet, so I don't remember much about that game, but I had no idea it couldn't be watched in the Baltimore area. 

Turns out that was the M.O. for all NFL broadcasts back then for all teams' home games. It wasn't modified until 1973 with the "72-hour rule," meaning that the game needed to sell out 72 hours before game time in order to be shown in the local market. That was the case with the Colts-Raiders 1977 divisional playoff; it was blacked out here due to not selling out within the prescribed time. 

Good point.   I remember having to listen to the Ghost to the Post game on the radio because it wasn’t on TV where I lived (Southern MD).  

Speaking of the other game against Oakland, Gannon still hates the Ravens to this day.  

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 02:35 PM

In 2000 Marvin Lewis would go tell the offense how many points they needed to win. IIRC he told them 10 in Oakland, and it would have held up. Once we got past the Titans I knew we were winning it all.

In 2012 I was half expecting something to go wrong again. Just came off a huge win in Denver, thought the team could be in for a letdown, but Joe took over the second half. That Pollard hit on Ridley turned the tide of that game. It was over after that.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#14 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 28 January 2024 - 12:09 AM

I remember telling my father in law after the win over Oakland in 2000 that the Ravens just won the Super Bowl.  The Giants had blown out Minnesota earlier and I felt they blew their wad.  I remember the biggest bet I ever placed along with my wife's cousin was on the SB game.  All in on the Ravens.  No way I felt the GIants could simulate the Ravens speed on defense in practice.  

#15 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 28 January 2024 - 11:21 AM

NE came after the Mile High Miracle.  After Denver, I knew we were going all the way.

• ivanbalt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=