#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 01:34 PM

It's not that challenging.

If they wanted to hoard prospects all they had to do was be willing to spend money.
  • Mackus and Pedro Cerrano like this

#3 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 01:50 PM

1.Part with Cowser or Kjerstad in a package for a top starter.

2. Sign a second-tier starter for the middle or back of the rotation.

3. Forget about a starter and acquire another high-leverage reliever to hopefully shorten games.

#1-Maybe for Luzardo, but not now

#2-Not in 11,000 years.

#3-I'd do this anyway because I think bullpen needs some upgrade.You mite get a decent reliever for likes of Stowers or Druby or minors pitching prospects.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 January 2024 - 01:59 PM

Call it collecting, hoarding, or any other term. 

Which is more valuable?

Having Hays, Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad, Santander, Stowers, Haskin, and Beavers.

or 6 or so of them and a freaking TOR pitcher. We do not need Cowser and Kjerstad both. 

So irritating. 

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 January 2024 - 02:27 PM

If Kjerstad or Cowser is the top prospect CWS wants then this needs to happen.  This article is infuriating, I can barely tolerate Roch's propaganda.  

• Mackus and BaltBird 24 like this

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2024 - 02:29 PM

You have to use 'em or lose 'em at some point. They aren't there yet, but if they do get there it would seem to me that other clubs will know they're in a spot where they *have* to move prospects and might have to accept less than full value in return. So why not now?

• dude likes this

#7 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 January 2024 - 02:29 PM

The biggest move remains the signing of closer Craig Kimbrel at the Winter Meetings for a guaranteed $13 million. The rest is about depth – pitcher Jonathan Heasley, catchers David Bañuelos and Michael Pérez, third baseman Dominic Freeberger and utility infielder Errol Robinson.

Kimbrel is the only move worth mentioning.  I want my 10 seconds back from reading about the other "additions"

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2024 - 02:34 PM

Kimbrel is the only move worth mentioning.  I want my 10 seconds back from reading about the other "additions"

How was that not worthwhile??? Mmmmmmm....free Bergers.

berger-cookies--katie-marquette-formatke

• DuffMan likes this

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,997 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 02:39 PM

Self-imposed challenges remain.
  • NewMarketSean, dude and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 02:46 PM

They are gonna make a trade before the month is over. Book it
  • Mike B likes this

#11 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 02:50 PM

If 1) every potential trade partner is asking for either Holliday or Basallo, and 2) you don't want to spend any money, then, yeah, I suppose acquiring a pitcher would be pretty challenging. 

Hopefully teams will relax their trade demands to something closer to Steve's pu pu platter, because the O's spending money seems more farfetched.

#12 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 03:46 PM

The top challenge, which Roch won't write because this is just a P.R. piece, is... finding a top of the rotation starter who is on or will accept a below market value deal for no more than 1 year. 

Aside from that, it should be pretty easy.

In other news, how much is John going to pocket from the uniform patch deal???

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 04:25 PM

I think it'll be Cease. Just too much smoke there.

#14 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 04:38 PM

Challenges. GTFOH.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 04:38 PM

Zero problem imo with Roch's article. 

He laid out the choices the O's have.

He: 

- Reminded that Cease and Luzardo wouldn't be rentals

- That Luzardo would provide rotation balance as a lefty

- Passed along Rosenthal's confirmation that it would take Cowser or Kjerstad + from Chicago for Cease

- Stated that Elias is hesitant to part with either, and provided a reasonable reason of why.  (You can disagree with the decision making there, but the reasoning is reasonable.) 

- Passed along Elias is growing the reputation as a collector

- Passed along that Elias doesn't see a logjam...  (again, can disagree... but he's giving you a sense of what Elias thinks)

- Ended his article presenting 3 choices...   didn't say his preference. 

Yes, Roch as a MASN employee is a de facto employee of the Orioles.
However, there are times he's critical of the O's.  

Obviously he's never going to go scorch earth. 
I think Roch does an excellent job as a reporter, reporting. 

IMO, he doesn't spend much time serving as a columnist giving opinions...he will some when he's doing radio interviews, or serving as an analyst on MASN, but for the most part... he reports. 

So, he isn't spending his days critiquing every spending limitation imposed by Ownership with the Ownership in a bit of flux.... that doesn't make him Baghdad Bob. 

• Mike B likes this

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 04:41 PM

And yeah there are choices. 

If you aren't going to sign a FA of note...  and you want a front-end starter, then it costs player capital. 

Trading one of Cowser or Kjerstad and giving up their many years of control is not ideal... but getting back a Cease or Luzardo and getting multiple years of control back...  it's a reasonable deal. 

If they aren't willing to do that, they should have been more aggressive with Stroman. 

• Mackus and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#17 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 January 2024 - 04:42 PM

The O's need Cease or my preference, Lazardo, way more than they need both Cowser and Kjerstad. Realistically I don't see both of them in the O's starting OF this year and maybe not next year. And Beavers and Haskin are not far behind timewise.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 04:53 PM

Again Ill note that its been noted that Sig loves the idea of hoarding young cost controlled prospects/players. Seems Elias is def of the same mind. Also tells me that none of these guys that are 1 or 2 years from FA are gonna be extended. We knew that but it can be said again. Not Santander. Not Mullins. Not Hays. Not Means. No one. The only smallest of positive things so far about this is we appear as though we wont be the A's an sell off assets that are 1 or 2 years from FA. At least not when we are true contenders. If so Santander, Hays, Mullins wouldve been moved by now.

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 January 2024 - 05:03 PM

What else would it take besides one of Kjerstad or Cowser?

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 05:09 PM

Again Ill note that its been noted that Sig loves the idea of hoarding young cost controlled prospects/players. Seems Elias is def of the same mind. Also tells me that none of these guys that are 1 or 2 years from FA are gonna be extended. We knew that but it can be said again. Not Santander. Not Mullins. Not Hays. Not Means. No one. The only smallest of positive things so far about this is we appear as though we wont be the A's an sell off assets that are 1 or 2 years from FA. At least not when we are true contenders. If so Santander, Hays, Mullins wouldve been moved by now.

I generally agree.... but if all of the ownership questions (Peter passes, Ownership stays with John, they don't sell, etc) are resolved in the next year... there might be a change there. 

Also, while not high odds, whatever odds they are.... there is some slight increased probability of a minimal extension with one of the aforementioned position players (or increased odds of Mountcastle staying, and Mayo going to the OF) if Cowser or Kjerstad are moved.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=