https://www.baltimor...m_content=alert

#2 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 07:22 PM

I've been meaning to cancel my Sun subscription and switch to the Banner. This should do it.
  • mweb08, CantonJester, mdrunning and 1 other like this

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2024 - 08:07 PM

Can't decide if this is better or worse than before. Gonna call it no contest.

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 January 2024 - 08:09 PM

Feels like they keep getting bought by worse and worse situations.

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 08:55 PM

Newspaper. What a thriving business worth investing in.
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 08:49 AM

Well, it looks like you have to call to cancel, even though my Sun subscription is digital.  That sucks.

#7 nickp

nickp
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 09:21 AM

We are cancelling baltimore sun subscription today due to new ownership

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 12:23 PM

Well, it looks like you have to call to cancel, even though my Sun subscription is digital.  That sucks.

Of course, the thinking being that there are actually people who will keep the subscription for no other reason than to avoid having to call, sit on hold, and then tell a human to cancel. And they're probably right.

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 12:26 PM

A thread by David Simon chronicling the downfall of The Sun.

https://twitter.com/...285687605330067

• mweb08 likes this

#10 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 01:34 PM

Of course, the thinking being that there are actually people who will keep the subscription for no other reason than to avoid having to call, sit on hold, and then tell a human to cancel. And they're probably right.

I feel seen.

#11 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 06:34 AM

Newspaper. What a thriving business worth investing in.

It is if your purpose is to influence social beliefs and politics.

I wonder if they'll keep this story up, on 8/13/1996, David D. Smith was arrested at East Read St. and St. Paul. He was charged with "committing unnatural and perverted sex act" after soliciting a sex worker and receiving oral sex while driving on the Jones Falls Expressway. https://www.baltimor...in-company-car/

Not that sex work is inherently bad, but getting head while driving on the JFX isn't the safest choice!

Only silver lining is their long time anti-labor, anti-teacher bend will now be treated as such by liberals, as opposed to being seen as objective, which it hasn't been for decades.

Anyhow, looks like things are off to a great start. https://www.thebalti...LNEPZ7PJCXSLWM/
  • mweb08 and russsnyder like this
@DaKittenz

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 02:03 PM

Anyhow, looks like things are off to a great start. https://www.thebalti...LNEPZ7PJCXSLWM/

Well that answers my question above. I really thought it was impossible to have a worse newspaper owner than Alden Capital, but here we are.

The good news: The Baltimore Banner is running an introductory subscription offer of $1 for 6 months.

Seriously, every city needs an independent entity that reports on and holds the power-brokers accountable, be they politicians or business interests. CNN or Fox News are never going to do that at a local level. And the more local you get, the easier it is to get away with shenanigans when no one is watching. You need a news organization with the staff that will trek out to Carroll or Harford County council or school board meetings and watch/report on what's going on....because let's face it, most of us are too damn busy with our lives to go and do it ourselves.

• CantonJester and SonicAttack like this

#13 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 07:28 PM

I canceled my subscription to The Sun a long time ago, and yes I took up the Banner's 6m/$1 offer. I'll renew it next month. 

Smith was lobbing hand grenades during his staff meeting the other day.

I like how at the end of the article he doesn't get into politics.

Riiiiiiight. 

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 01:27 PM

David Simon

So, I am informed that with the remaining husk of the the once-venerable Baltimore Sun being made to lap-dance for a political ideologue willing to stuff enough cash in her garters, the nascent
@BaltimoreBanner has had a three-day run of new subscriptions that sets a record...

David Simon

...for the independent online daily: more than 500 new subscriptions a day for three days running. You Free Staters who are doing the damn thing have my complete admiration and to do what I can to prime this pump, here's a fresh offer:

David Simon
For every new subscription arriving between 1 p.m. today and 1 p.m. Monday, Blown Deadline Productions will donate $1 to the Banner. The non-profit venture, in turn, promises to use all revenues to expand its non-partisan news report. But then, that was always the promise.

• CantonJester likes this

#15 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 02:23 PM

It is if your purpose is to influence social beliefs and politics.

I wonder if they'll keep this story up, on 8/13/1996, David D. Smith was arrested at East Read St. and St. Paul. He was charged with "committing unnatural and perverted sex act" after soliciting a sex worker and receiving oral sex while driving on the Jones Falls Expressway. https://www.baltimor...in-company-car/

Not that sex work is inherently bad, but getting head while driving on the JFX isn't the safest choice!

Only silver lining is their long time anti-labor, anti-teacher bend will now be treated as such by liberals, as opposed to being seen as objective, which it hasn't been for decades.

Yeah, This is the first I have heard about this story. It would appear that the guy supported sex trafficking. I hope he's gotten beyond it.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=