#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:27 PM

Both interviewed with Carolina. 

https://www.baltimor...xy70-jyWS6S3Lf4

Jerod Mayo had a stipulation in his contract that he would succeed Belichick.

If the Ravens want to keep Macdonald, they should go ahead and add that.
Guess DeCosta had that as well with the GM position.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:32 PM

I’m not on board for having a succession plan at HC. How often does that work out? Furthermore, review the track record of DC hires as HC’s over the past 5-10 years. Spoiler alert: it’s not pretty. It’s an offensive game. You don’t want a revolving door at OC. Ask Joe how that worked out. I’d look at an offensive guy as our next coach. I understand the goal in mind here is doing what it takes to retain them as coordinators, but I think that approach is a mistake. Mayo is set up for failure in NE. IMO, they did this to get the “guy after Belichick” thing out of the way while drafting a new QB, etc.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:39 PM

An example: DeMeco. Did a great job this year. Slowik will undoubtedly get a HC gig this year. LAC, ATL, CAR, etc. Wouldn’t it undoubtedly be better for Houston and Stroud long term if Slowik were the guy? How will Goff adapt without Ben Johnson at OC next year?

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,269 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:42 PM

I’m not on board for having a succession plan at HC. How often does that work out? Furthermore, review the track record of DC hires as HC’s over the past 5-10 years. Spoiler alert: it’s not pretty. It’s an offensive game. You don’t want a revolving door at OC. Ask Joe how that worked out. I’d look at an offensive guy as our next coach. I understand the goal in mind here is doing what it takes to retain them as coordinators, but I think that approach is a mistake. Mayo is set up for failure in NE. IMO, they did this to get the “guy after Belichick” thing out of the way while drafting a new QB, etc.

As I've said a lot of times before....  being a good tactical coach, doesn't mean you would be an effective overall leader. 

So Macdonald or Monken being good tacticians defensively and offensively wouldn't be part of my decision making process. 

Are they seen as leaders?

How well do they communicate with Ownership, the FO, Media, and most importantly Players?

Regards to these two in-particular...   I'm just tired of the revolving door at both Coordinator positions.
Harbaugh could have another 5 years, or he could retire with another Super Bowl win.  I have no idea.
I think it would be a shame to lose Macdonald (if they internally believe in his ability to lead), and Harbaugh isn't long for the position.

Obviously other teams are interested in these guys because they are Coordinators and the Ravens have had a lot of success.
Everyone gets that.
I think there is more to evaluate. 
The Ravens should know them better than anyone.
Monken getting HC interviews surprise me.

For me, if you believe Macdonald is the guy to lead, then him being a defensive coach means nothing to me. 
Having a 'defensive' or 'offensive' coach means nothing to me. 

Give me a leader.  

Someone that has a growth mindset.

Someone that is comfortable surrounding themselves with the best / most innovative minds. 

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:45 PM

Carlolina's  owner might actually be worse than Johnny Boy.  I don't want to see either of them end up there.

#6 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:49 PM

I admittedly don't pay attention to other teams in the same way I pay attention to the Ravens. How often is the HC successful as the offensive play caller? Like yeah, Reid, Shananhan, McVeigh, Mike McDaniel...you get one of those guys and you're good to go, but it's hard to say who's going to be one of those guys, and maybe hard to get them. Josh McDaniels, Nathaniel Hackett, Adam Gase, Arthur Smith, Brian Daboll, Frank Reich...all OCs too.

I don't really know how I feel about it. I think it's probably hard to find a good HC period, regardless of OC or DC or ST.

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:49 PM

Harbaugh isnt going to retire anytime soon. Its in his blood. Hes got at least 10 years left. Obviously assuming health.

MacDonald is gonna get a job soon enough. Hes very highly thought of. It is what it is. The price you pay for being successful as a franchise. Monken isnt someone to worry about losing. If he goes he goes but I dont think he's leaving this cycle.

#8 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 January 2024 - 02:15 PM

If brother Jim doesn't get an NFL job, Jesse Minter could be an OC candidate. Another Baltimore to Michigan to Baltimore move.

#9 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 03:45 PM

Both interviewed with Carolina. 

https://www.baltimor...xy70-jyWS6S3Lf4

Jerod Mayo had a stipulation in his contract that he would succeed Belichick.

If the Ravens want to keep Macdonald, they should go ahead and add that.
Guess DeCosta had that as well with the GM position.

The Ravens have had much better luck with defensive coordinators than offensive. They always seem to have in-house candidates for defense (such as Macdonald) but have often gone outside the organization for offense.

If Harbaugh were ready to step down, then maybe such a clause would be warranted. But as already noted here, he isn't showing any signs of reaching that point. How long would Macdonald be willing to wait?

#10 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 07:25 PM

If brother Jim doesn't get an NFL job, Jesse Minter could be an OC candidate. Another Baltimore to Michigan to Baltimore move.

The name I’ve read in a couple of places is D’Anton Lynn, who is now at USC.  He is the son of Anthony Lynn and was a Ravens DBC.  Supposedly, USC has a plan in place in the even they lose Lynn to Baltimore.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 04:10 PM

Agree 100%. and not just because of DC hire rate results. DeCosta is a different situation because he worked under Oz quite a few years. McDonald basically just got here. 

#12 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 05:31 PM

Agree 100%. and not just because of DC hire rate results. DeCosta is a different situation because he worked under Oz quite a few years. McDonald basically just got here. 

Other than 2021 when he went to Michigan, he's been with the Ravens since 2014. I would think they have an idea if he's HC material by now. The bigger question is whether Harbs is thinking of leaving any time soon.

• Mackus likes this

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 06:22 PM

Other than 2021 when he went to Michigan, he's been with the Ravens since 2014. I would think they have an idea if he's HC material by now. The bigger question is whether Harbs is thinking of leaving any time soon.

This is his first NFL coordinator position as far as I know, I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong on that. You can be with an organization for 10 or 15 years. But if you haven't had decision making authority, I'd be hesitant to annoint him the next boss. Strictly my opinion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=