5 replies to this topic

#1 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 12:17 PM

This article was actually written last year on this date, but still, fun trip down memory lane...

https://www.espn.com...s-were-answered

Moore always got roasted for not being deeper on the throw, but Jones basically unintentional stutter-and-go because he started to shut his route down for some reason... helped create that angle.  Always felt that the "fluke" angle to that was played a little too much to downplay what Joe did in that moment, because it was more than just Moore not staying deep enough.  It was the way / pacing with which Jones ran that basic route, coupled with Joe being able to throw a ball much farther in that cold and wind that anyone on the Broncos probably thought possible.  In that scenario, in that field position, a DB isn't expecting the guy running a go route to basically take his foot off the gas only to punch it again.  And Denver had good pass rush on the ends, so you probably don't want to be relying on Joe having an extra second or two in the pocket.  :) 

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 January 2024 - 12:22 PM

One of the greatest throws I ever saw.  Joe was certainly elite on that heave.

• DuffMan and Ravens2006 like this
@mikeghg

#3 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 01:29 PM

I was over a friend's house watching that playoff, and I was getting really annoyed at how he'd keep DVRing the damn game for bathroom breaks, food runs, etc. He had his laptop sitting on an end table, so I just followed the live feed from that. I already knew about the Hail Mary before it ever came up on the television. I didn't say anything when that play came up, but I was thinking to myself, "You're going to like this one." 

While we're on the subject of nostalgia, today is also a not-so-great anniversary in the annals of Baltimore football.

January 12, 1969

• Mike B and Ravens2006 like this

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,619 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 02:44 PM

At some point when we were down in the 4th quarter my friends and I said  if we won that game that we'd jump in the golf course pond behind his house. Well we won the game and then we jumped into the pond. It wasn't as cold as I thought it would be.

• Mike B and Ravens2006 like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 04:48 PM

One of the greatest throws I ever saw.  Joe was certainly elite on that heave.

Actually, the ball was under thrown and that's why it was so bewildering that the Broncos corner and safety not only seem to lose track of the ball but kind got twisted around when they finally did locate it. If Joe had led Jones in stride, it wouldn't have even been close. It was almost like Jones was fielding a punt. Even today, I still can't believe it happened.

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 04:48 PM

At some point when we were down in the 4th quarter my friends and I said  if we won that game that we'd jump in the golf course pond behind his house. Well we won the game and then we jumped into the pond. It wasn't as cold as I thought it would be.

Certainly not as cold as it was in Denver that night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=