#3 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:22 AM

Shout it from the rooftops, 2019 can't hurt us anymore!!

Seriously, historical occurrences are fodder for discussion but 2019 has little bearing on what happens over the next week and change. The only take away from it in my eyes is that Lamar learned from that experience 4 years ago and won't allow things to repeat.

With that said, Lamar didn't drop 6-7 passes, Lamar didn't allow Derrick Henry to run wild and Lamar didn't decide to abandon the rushing attack, which was the clear strength of the team. And the fact that so many in the media want to hang the 2019 playoff loss on Jackson is just silly and quite frankly, lazy.

Lastly, for everyone around town and in the media, after seeing some key players get hurt in week 18 action, do they still think it would've been a good idea for Lamar to play at all last week? As if 25 or snaps in a meaningless game, in horrible weather would have any bearing on what happens on 1/20 or 1/21....
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,307 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:26 AM

Of course things are different. 2019 has nothing to do with 2023. That said, they could still play a poor game and lose. Gotta go perform 3 more times and what Im certain of is they will be pushed at times in these playoffs. Its not gonna be a cakewalk. How do they respond to in game adversity is the million dollar question.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#5 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:51 AM

Of course things are different. 2019 has nothing to do with 2023. That said, they could still play a poor game and lose. Gotta go perform 3 more times and what Im certain of is they will be pushed at times in these playoffs. Its not gonna be a cakewalk. How do they respond to in game adversity is the million dollar question.

I sincerely believe that, in 2019, there was a feeling that they were just gonna steamroll and a lot of the guys took it for granted. Having that negative experience, getting those scars, made the guys that are still here better, tougher and more aware of how fleeting these opportunities are.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,619 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 12:28 PM

I think if they win next week, they win the SB. I don't know how many players here today were here in 2019, can't be many. I know Lamar was. So who knows how much that is even on their minds. But if they can get past that first obstacle and get back that swagger they had the second half of the season I believe they'll go all the way.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 01:42 PM

I think if they win next week, they win the SB. I don't know how many players here today were here in 2019, can't be many. I know Lamar was. So who knows how much that is even on their minds. But if they can get past that first obstacle and get back that swagger they had the second half of the season I believe they'll go all the way.

I believe there are nine players left from that 2019 team.

#8 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 01:44 PM

I'm counting Lamar, Tucker, Edwards, Hill, Stanley, Mekari, Pierce, Ricard, Humphrey. Plus Andrews.

#9 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 01:53 PM

I think the key is how the Ravens react/adjust if they get behind early like they did against Tennessee.  That's where I'm hoping this version is unlike 2019, although it's still Harbaugh coaching them.  I'm fairly confident they are.  Lamar is 4 years older and has done well over the 2nd half of this season having more control of how the offense is being run.  He's a young veteran now and having Agent 0 on defense helps a great deal too.  With seasoned leadership, a more flexible OC and an awareness of how quickly things can go and stay south, I do think this is a different team. 

#10 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 11 January 2024 - 02:23 PM

I think the key is how the Ravens react/adjust if they get behind early like they did against Tennessee.  That's where I'm hoping this version is unlike 2019, although it's still Harbaugh coaching them.  I'm fairly confident they are.  Lamar is 4 years older and has done well over the 2nd half of this season having more control of how the offense is being run.  He's a young veteran now and having Agent 0 on defense helps a great deal too.  With seasoned leadership, a more flexible OC and an awareness of how quickly things can go and stay south, I do think this is a different team. 

It's crazy to think that Lamar legitimately dropped back to pass at least 70 times in that game. (59 passes, plus 4 sacks and of Lamar's 20 runs, I'd bet at least 7 were scrambles) Especially when you consider that it wasn't more than a 2 score game until the 4:16 mark of the 3rd quarter. It's mind boggling to look back at that game and how it unfolded.

@primetime667083

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,619 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 03:44 PM

I think the key is how the Ravens react/adjust if they get behind early like they did against Tennessee. That's where I'm hoping this version is unlike 2019, although it's still Harbaugh coaching them. I'm fairly confident they are. Lamar is 4 years older and has done well over the 2nd half of this season having more control of how the offense is being run. He's a young veteran now and having Agent 0 on defense helps a great deal too. With seasoned leadership, a more flexible OC and an awareness of how quickly things can go and stay south, I do think this is a different team.

Been thinking about this too. The coaching panicked early against Tennessee. Can’t get down by more than a score next week or I think they’ll panic again.

I told my wife I’d prefer a dominant playoff run much like we’ve been winning the last month or so. I am not going to be handling close games that well.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 04:35 PM

I feel like in both their SB teams, the divisional game was the hardest one. Beating the Titans and beating the Broncos. The follow ups at Oakland and at New England (even with Brady) seemed like easier matchups. They were one of the only teams that ever really tested the Patriots on the regular in their place (cheating bastards). 

@BSLMikeRandall

#13 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 11 January 2024 - 07:18 PM

It's crazy to think that Lamar legitimately dropped back to pass at least 70 times in that game. (59 passes, plus 4 sacks and of Lamar's 20 runs, I'd bet at least 7 were scrambles) Especially when you consider that it wasn't more than a 2 score game until the 4:16 mark of the 3rd quarter. It's mind boggling to look back at that game and how it unfolded.

Good memory! Pff and pro football reference say 8 scrambles and 4 sacks so 71 dropbacks.

#14 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 January 2024 - 07:45 PM

It's the playoffs. It's never easy. The regular season simply showed what the team is capable of, this is still a one game knockout - 3 to the title tournament. I'm not worried about their ability to respond to adversity. They already have. Injuries, turnovers, and early season losses they've clearly learned from.

That said it can all come down to one game and if this group doesn't at least make it to the Super Bowl they will have to answer as "chokers" once again.

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 04:11 PM

BSL: Ravens Fans, This Isn't 2019

https://baltimorespo...this-isnt-2019/

Yup Roman is gone and good riddance. 

#16 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 06:18 PM

One of then is the best player on the team, and a current front runner for MVP. Lamar remembers 2019. You can see it in every interview after a big win. He's not dancing and joking and laughing like he was on 2019.

Hopefully the wounds from the Titans and Bills meltdowns have toughened Lamar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=