#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,352 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 January 2024 - 12:09 PM

After picking up their third conference loss of the year against Minnesota over the weekend, Maryland returns home to face off against Michigan on Thursday night. The Wolverines have also struggled so far this season, currently holding a 6-9 (1-3) record. They've lost seven of their last nine games, and are in the midst of a four-game losing streak. Their lone conference win came on the road against Iowa in early December. Juwan Howard's team particularly struggles defensively, ranking as the worst defensive team in the conference by far according to KenPom.

They're led by sophomore point guard Dug McDaniel, a D.C. native, who averages 18 points and 5 assists per game. Olivier Nkamhoua, their senior Finnish power forward, averages 17 points and 8 rebounds per game while shooting 56% from the field, including 40% from beyond the arc.

Since joining the Big Ten, Maryland is just 5-10 against Michigan and have won only one of their last six meetings.

KenPom Rankings

• Maryland: #81 (#168 AdjO, #30 AdjD; #297 AdjT)
  • Michigan: #71 (#33 AdjO, #156 AdjD; #214 AdjT)

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 January 2024 - 12:16 PM

I think one of these teams is going 5-15 in conference or worse.

I am afraid, I know which one it is going to be.

@mikeghg

#3 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 12:22 PM

Wow, pretty crazy how the AdjD and AdjO stats are the reverse of one another.

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,599 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 January 2024 - 01:39 PM

I’m gonna go. Tix are like $10

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,740 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 02:34 PM

I’m gonna go. Tix are like $10

That's still too much.
  • mdrunning likes this

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,352 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 January 2024 - 02:38 PM

Willard says that Jahari Long will officially be questionable for this game. He missed the team's last game with a lower body injury.

@BSLZackKiesel

#7 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,740 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 03:23 PM

That's a tough loss. Long isn't good, but he's literally their only guard on the bench. Can anyone else even kinda run the offense if Young needs a breather? I guess DHS is de facto.

#8 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,352 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 January 2024 - 03:36 PM

That's a tough loss. Long isn't good, but he's literally their only guard on the bench. Can anyone else even kinda run the offense if Young needs a breather? I guess DHS is de facto.

Lamothe served as the backup PG against Minnesota.
@BSLZackKiesel

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 January 2024 - 03:54 PM

He needs to look for his shot.  He was only looking to pass.  

Looking at the guard situation, it becomes clear Ian Martinez was a big loss in the portal.  Not to mention Hart.

@mikeghg

#10 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,740 posts

Posted 10 January 2024 - 11:09 PM

Didn't even realize he played against Minnesota.

13 minutes, didn't take a single shot, 2 boards, no assists, 2 turnovers. Very forgettable performance.

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,352 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:18 AM

Maryland enters this game as 5.5-point favorites. ESPN gives them a 63.2% chance to win.
@BSLZackKiesel

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:46 AM

Maryland enters this game as 5.5-point favorites. ESPN gives them a 63.2% chance to win.

I give them lower than a 63.2 % chance but I am hopeful.

• Mackus likes this
@mikeghg

#13 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 09:51 AM

That's still too much.

Ha! Went last January or February for the first time at the "new" place. It was a weekend game vs Northwestern. Left with the "I will never go to a Maryland sports event again" attitude.  :)  We were sitting at some light to turn on to campus exactly 70 minutes before tip-off.  Still missed most of the first half by the time we found an available garage somewhere outside of Richmond I think...

Getting in was a complete nightmare. Parking was a complete nightmare. Everything about getting TO the game was beyond infuriating. Gridlock traffic, terrible signage and terrible event staff, just terrible all around.  I can't even imagine trying to do the same on a weeknight, when rush hour traffic is WAY heavier than what we encountered on a Sunday.

I remember going to one game at Cole when I was a teenager with my dad.  It was a senior night, maybe vs FSU?  Anyway, I remember that being WAY less of a hassle than it was last year.  

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,881 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:03 AM

There are some pretty easy tricks to avoid the really clustered areas, and if you don't mind a 10 minute walk you can park for free and have a head start past the traffic leaving from Paint Branch Dr and the closer garages.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,352 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:11 AM

There are some pretty easy trucks to avoid the really clustered areas, and if you don't mind a 10 minute walk you can park for free and have a head start past the traffic leaving from Paint Branch Dr and the closer garages.

Yeah, in all my years going to games while commuting to campus I never had any issues with traffic. Just park in Lot 1 for free and walk to the arena, you'll zip right out onto 193 with no problems whatsoever.

@BSLZackKiesel

#16 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, in all my years going to games while commuting to campus I never had any issues with traffic. Just park in Lot 1 for free and walk to the arena, you'll zip right out onto 193 with no problems whatsoever.

If I ever recover and decide to go back, I'll be sure to ask for tips here first!  :)

#17 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 05:01 PM

Maryland should win and cover, especially with UM not having their PG. If UMD doesn't win this game, yeah.....

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,352 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 January 2024 - 05:48 PM

Willard says that Jahari Long will officially be questionable for this game. He missed the team's last game with a lower body injury.

Long is officially out for this game, so expect Lamothe to serve as the backup point guard again tonight.

Michigan will be without starting point guard Dug McDaniel, who is beginning a bizarre six-game suspension that only applies to road games. They'll also be missing senior forward Tray Jackson, who's averaging 17 minutes per game off the bench.

@BSLZackKiesel

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,740 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 05:54 PM

How'd Michigan fall from Elite 8's and Sweet 16's to this so fast?

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,881 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 05:59 PM

How'd Michigan fall from Elite 8's and Sweet 16's to this so fast?

UCLA did the same thing this year. With so many transfers, it's easier to bottom out now I guess.
  • Mike B likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=