121 replies to this topic

#101 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:40 PM

How do you go into your season with Swanton Rodger as your only other big? Scott and Geronimo don't count.

#102 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,362 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:41 PM

The fact that, in a must-have three-pointer situation, your best option is Noah Batchelor, tells you everything you need to know about the state of Maryland basketball.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#103 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,145 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:41 PM

How do you go into your season with Swanton Rodger as your only other big? Scott and Geronimo don't count.

Put all the eggs in the Dickinson basket and weren't any transfers left to throw money at after he decided. At least not any they could convince at later notice.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#104 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:44 PM

Hard fought loss! Get em next time, boys!

#105 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

There's been a few times late in games where they've drawn up a play for Batchelor. Not sure why anyone thinks he can shoot.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#106 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,452 posts

It’s fair if you don’t want to speculate - but any indication as to how this happened? He’s been dreadful. Have you heard anything?

Last year I thought he made a mistake trying to lose weight and play more like a 3...  for me he's always been best when he plays like an undersized 4.   But he was still honorable mention all-conf.

This year, idk?  Further exposed with more being needed from him? 

With the 5th year of eligibility, he's going to be all over the all-time record book in a lot of categories. 
On a good team, you would only ask him to be a solid role player. Minutes would be less, expectations would be less.

But to be in a 5th year, and regress from former production is pretty wild. 
MD certainly needed more from him this year. 

The biggest issues for MD though (imo) are: 

1) The shooting, just can't get past that... 

2) The lack of a more usable big behind Reese

3) Reese not taking a star turn...

4) Not getting a combined 20-25 points a game from DHS and Kaiser. 

1-3 in league play.

16 more games left. 

Going to be a long couple of months.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#107 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,145 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:45 PM

I spent way too many parenting points to be able to follow along with most of this game. Bad investment.
  • You Play to Win the Game and SonicAttack like this

#108 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:47 PM

Always thought Scott was wildly overrated by Maryland fans. He's not good. He had a mirage of a sophomore season.

#109 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 07:51 PM

Put all the eggs in the Dickinson basket and weren't any transfers left to throw money at after he decided. At least not any they could convince at later notice.

The ultimate final troll job for Dickinson. Lull Maryland into thinking they had a chance, wasting all their time and effort, only to end up where he was always going to end up.

Well played.

#110 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,452 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 08:04 PM

Not including Turgeon's 1st year, or 2 years ago when he left mid-year....  the only teams in my Terps fandom that felt this limited was '92-'93 (Freshman year for Rhodes, Hipp, Simpkins, Lucas), and '08-'09 with Dave Neal getting major minutes. 

Lose Young, Scott, Long, Geronimo... 

Can return Reese, DHS, Kaiser, Lamothe, Batchelor, Stephens, Swanton-Rodger, Traore, Pierce... 

Committed: Palmer (G)

So you've got at-least 3 scholarships...  and some of those can return options won't be back. 

Conservatively, should have 4-5 scholarships available. 

We will see what can get done in the portal.

Here were the portal rankings heading into this season: 

https://247sports.co...erteamrankings/

(Seeing St. John's success there with Pitino is annoying.)

#111 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,145 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 08:07 PM

Expectations will be rock bottom, perhaps even lower than entering last season, so they'll have that going for them.

I think that '08-09 team was much better, IMO. I doubt this team gets anywhere near .500 in conference.

#112 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 08:09 PM

That Dave Neal team miraculously made the tournament and won a game. Crazy year. Still had Greivis, Milbourne, Hayes, Bowie, Mosley.

Would be okay with no one from the current team returning except Reese and just build around him through the portal.

#113 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,452 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 08:11 PM

Expectations will be rock bottom, perhaps even lower than entering last season, so they'll have that going for them.

I think that '08-09 team was much better, IMO. I doubt this team gets anywhere near .500 in conference.

That team was definitely better all-around, and more athletic than this one.

#114 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,656 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 January 2024 - 12:21 PM

There is not anyone on this team, that I would be upset to see enter the portal.  That includes Reese who can be a good player but does too many questionable things during a game.  

@mikeghg

#115 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:06 PM

If things don't improve on the recruiting front they'll probably have guys like Batchelor and Swanton-Rodger starting next year. Guys who probably shouldn't even be on D1 rosters.

Then you figure there's not a PG on the roster beyond Young and their only commitment for next year is another 2/3 type.

It's a bad time for Maryland basketball.

#116 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,452 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:26 PM

If things don't improve on the recruiting front they'll probably have guys like Batchelor and Swanton-Rodger starting next year. Guys who probably shouldn't even be on D1 rosters.

That's too much of a hot take. 

There's like 365 D1 basketball teams. 

Batchelor was a 3 star kid, who played at IMG Academy (that's a big deal).   Offers Memphis, Clemson, Florida. 

Swanton-Rodger was on one of the top Canadian AAU teams. Had time on the on the U16 National Team. 
He's not providing enough as a backup big at this level, but I bet he'd get a lot of run with a lot of D1 teams. 

• BSLZackKiesel and Mike B like this

#117 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:33 PM

Maybe too much of a hot take, but those guys aren't serious B10 players. Certainly have no business starting.

I'm sure Willard will fill in the roster with portal guys if the HS recruiting falls flat.

#118 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,452 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:35 PM

Maybe too much of a hot take, but those guys aren't serious B10 players. Certainly have no business starting.

I'm sure Willard will fill in the roster with portal guys if the HS recruiting falls flat.

Yes, no business starting next year.  Agreed there.  

Not sure where I am with them being rotational pieces next year.  
They've got 16 games to show they belong or not.

#119 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,974 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:43 PM

I'm with Mike. There's not really a single player on the roster I'll he upset to see enter the portal.

Reese is probably the most important guy, but he's shown to feast on lesser opponents and disappear against big competition.

#120 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 January 2024 - 02:15 PM

I spent way too many parenting points to be able to follow along with most of this game. Bad investment.

You should be saving those for these Ravens playoff games...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=