315 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 04:56 PM

Think he would take a pay cut like Von Miller did .?

Maybe do games played as incentives. Right now unless he come to camp in the best shape of his life he's only a part timer.

I think this is a reasonable request for Stanley but it's going to be a little tough to create incentives that are Not Likely To Be Earned, which is what you need them to be for cap savings.  He played in 13 games and 64% of snaps in 2023.  I think maybe he'd cut his salary in half and only earn if back with incentives if he exceeds those numbers, but also that's a pretty big ask.

I'd ask before outright cutting him.

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 09:03 AM

The Ringer: Is Jayden Daniels Really Worth the Third Overall Pick?

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 04:43 PM

The Ringer: Mock

https://nfldraft.the...0523.1699283038

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 04:44 PM

Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama

BALTIMORE RAVENS

McKinstry’s been falling a bit in this cycle as the draft community becomes enamored with his Alabama teammate, Terrion Arnold—but McKinstry is still a starting cornerback at the NFL level. Baltimore did something last year that few teams can do—field an elite defense without elite cornerbacks—as a rotation of Ronald Darby, Marlon Humphrey, Arthur Maulet, and Rock Ya-Sin kept the position afloat. With Darby, Ya-Sin, and Maulet hitting free agency, the position needs bolstering, and McKinstry can step in as a rookie and handle NFL WR2s opposite surprising star Brandon Stephens.

• SonicAttack likes this

#45 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,484 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 04:58 PM

Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama

BALTIMORE RAVENS

McKinstry’s been falling a bit in this cycle as the draft community becomes enamored with his Alabama teammate, Terrion Arnold—but McKinstry is still a starting cornerback at the NFL level. Baltimore did something last year that few teams can do—field an elite defense without elite cornerbacks—as a rotation of Ronald Darby, Marlon Humphrey, Arthur Maulet, and Rock Ya-Sin kept the position afloat. With Darby, Ya-Sin, and Maulet hitting free agency, the position needs bolstering, and McKinstry can step in as a rookie and handle NFL WR2s opposite surprising star Brandon Stephens.

This would be my A+ scenario. Doubt he actually falls. But if he did, it would rival the fall of Hamilton to 14. McKinstry can ball.

#46 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:57 PM

This would be my A+ scenario. Doubt he actually falls. But if he did, it would rival the fall of Hamilton to 14. McKinstry can ball.

You don't feel like it's necessary to go OL in the first round? I feel like trading Moses forces us into picking OL in round 1 and hoping we can trade up for McKinstry if he falls.

#47 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 08:02 PM

You don't feel like it's necessary to go OL in the first round? I feel like trading Moses forces us into picking OL in round 1 and hoping we can trade up for McKinstry if he falls.

Unless someone drops to them unexpectedly, I do think they'll go OL with their first pick.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:14 AM

CBS Sports: Mock

https://www.cbssport...russell-wilson/

Tyler Guton, OT, Oklahoma

The Ravens immediately replace Morgan Moses, who was traded to the Jets during the first week of free agency.

• SonicAttack likes this

#49 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,484 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:02 AM

Passing in superior talent in favor of a need is what bad teams do. McKinstry is a top 15 player in the draft. Only reason there is talk of him falling is due to a foot injury that may delay his debut.

If your talking similar talent at OL and another position, then sure, take the lineman. Pigeon-holing them into taking a lineman for the sake of taking a lineman just isn't smart.

You still have Stanley, Mekari and Linderbaum. You have Cleveland and Vorhees. No depth, definitely need to address the line for sure ASAP. I agree there. But I'm not passing on a superior talent that drops for the sake of taking a lineman.
  • Mashed Potatoes and makoman like this

#50 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:36 AM

Passing in superior talent in favor of a need is what bad teams do. McKinstry is a top 15 player in the draft. Only reason there is talk of him falling is due to a foot injury that may delay his debut.

If your talking similar talent at OL and another position, then sure, take the lineman. Pigeon-holing them into taking a lineman for the sake of taking a lineman just isn't smart.

You still have Stanley, Mekari and Linderbaum. You have Cleveland and Vorhees. No depth, definitely need to address the line for sure ASAP. I agree there. But I'm not passing on a superior talent that drops for the sake of taking a lineman.

Well, that's one reason I didn't like the Moses trade. With Moses at RT I would have felt comfortable taking someone like McKinstry who fell for dumb reasons.

I feel like we are in a position where we have to draft a lineman round 1, even if it means trading up for one. Granted this is supposed to be an all-time deep draft for an OL, so its quite possible we will end up with more OL talent than we could in other years.

#51 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 12:09 PM

Well, that's one reason I didn't like the Moses trade. With Moses at RT I would have felt comfortable taking someone like McKinstry who fell for dumb reasons.
I feel like we are in a position where we have to draft a lineman round 1, even if it means trading up for one. Granted this is supposed to be an all-time deep draft for an OL, so its quite possible we will end up with more OL talent than we could in other years.

Just like with Stanley, there's no way the Ravens could count on Moses to play a full season at his age, hence the trade. At least Stanley has an All-Pro pedigree and a hefty contract. I get the whole "best player" mentality and it has historically, served this team well but OL is priority number one in my opinion and you take the best one available at 30.

#52 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,484 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 12:14 PM

Just like with Stanley, there's no way the Ravens could count on Moses to play a full season at his age, hence the trade. At least Stanley has an All-Pro pedigree and a hefty contract. I get the whole "best player" mentality and it has historically, served this team well but OL is priority number one in my opinion and you take the best one available at 30.

I want the best player regardless. Outside of QB and TE. Unless Bowers miraculously falls to 30. Which isn't happening.

But ultimately, take the best player. The line needs addressed. But so does the CB room. Right now we have Humphrey, Stephens and a bunch of JAG's. I'd say CB is every bit as big of a need as OL.

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 12:16 PM

Do we have to have this conversation ever year :)

They'll take the top guy on their board. Their board is based on both talent and need. They'll trade back if the offer is good, they don't love the guys available, and/or they think they can still get a similar player further back.
  • Biggsy likes this

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 12:27 PM

Do we have to have this conversation ever year :)

They'll take the top guy on their board. Their board is based on both talent and need. They'll trade back if the offer is good, they don't love the guys available, and/or they think they can still get a similar player further back.

Exactly. No need to overemphasis OL early. Let it come to you
  • Biggsy likes this

#55 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 12:49 PM

Again, OL is their top priority.  EDC and Harbaugh have pretty much said that.  If an OL is there at 30 and it's a player they've placed high on the pecking order, they'll take him.  Even if a CB is there that they like, I still say they go OL.  Of course, there's no way of knowing who EDC likes in free agency or a potential trade at this point.  It's only March. 

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 01:18 PM

Again, OL is their top priority. EDC and Harbaugh have pretty much said that. If an OL is there at 30 and it's a player they've placed high on the pecking order, they'll take him. Even if a CB is there that they like, I still say they go OL. Of course, there's no way of knowing who EDC likes in free agency or a potential trade at this point. It's only March.

They won't take an OL from lower on their board than a higher ranked CB. I think their board will be weighted to favor OL though, so they may take an OL that most teams rate lower than an available CB.

#57 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 01:42 PM

They won't take an OL from lower on their board than a higher ranked CB. I think their board will be weighted to favor OL though, so they may take an OL that most teams rate lower than an available CB.

Unless someone they really like falls down the board at the CB position, I think they'll go with an OL if all things are equal at the time of the pick.  I basically agree with what you said. 

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 02:09 PM

OL is also supposed to be deep this year. Interior OL arent that valuable relative to say CB or other skill positions. I could see them take an OT late in the first. Dont think they will take a G late in the first. It would take one falling pretty far IMO

#59 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 02:10 PM

Am I crazy for thinking this is a draft where I think the Ravens should be looking to trade up? It is both one of the deepest OL drafts in recent memory, and a draft where another high value position (WR) has a ton of first round depth, while at least 4 first round picks will be devoted to QB. The 7th best OL in this draft would probably have had a good chance of being a top-15 pick in many other draft years, and he is likely to be available in the early to mid 20s this year.

There are an uncountably large number of permutations for the draft, and there are certainly situations where I wouldn't blame the Ravens for not drafting an OL round 1 (or even trading back.) But getting an OL has to be top priority.

BPA has always been about aligning pick value with need, and prioritizing pick value if you have to choose. That's why trading back has always been a big part of the Ravens draft strategy. I don't think that it has ever been (nor should it be) about always choosing pick value and completely ignoring need. The Ravens have traded up sparingly but it has happened, so its not like there isnt precedent for this.

#60 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 03:34 PM

Am I crazy for thinking this is a draft where I think the Ravens should be looking to trade up? It is both one of the deepest OL drafts in recent memory, and a draft where another high value position (WR) has a ton of first round depth, while at least 4 first round picks will be devoted to QB. The 7th best OL in this draft would probably have had a good chance of being a top-15 pick in many other draft years, and he is likely to be available in the early to mid 20s this year.

There are an uncountably large number of permutations for the draft, and there are certainly situations where I wouldn't blame the Ravens for not drafting an OL round 1 (or even trading back.) But getting an OL has to be top priority.

BPA has always been about aligning pick value with need, and prioritizing pick value if you have to choose. That's why trading back has always been a big part of the Ravens draft strategy. I don't think that it has ever been (nor should it be) about always choosing pick value and completely ignoring need. The Ravens have traded up sparingly but it has happened, so its not like there isnt precedent for this.

I could be wrong but I don't see them moving up the ladder.  If they were being seduced by one player, maybe, but I haven't seen any indication that's on the table.  If Tyler Guyton is still there at 30, I don't know how they can pass on him.  The guy is a top shelf pass blocker and that value can't be underestimated.  One guy who's lurking in the shadows almost unnoticed is Andrew Vorhees.  From all indications, he's fully healed from his knee surgery and will be ready to go once camp commences.  The guy was a first team All-American before getting hurt at the combine.  He's someone to keep an eye on for sure. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=