315 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,131 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 05:50 PM

Would you guys entertain a trade for Madubuike? PFF thinks he's worth a low-mid 3rd rounder. We could use the draft picks considering we're losing a good chunk of our roster to FA, and it eliminates our cap problems for the coming year.

Not for a late third, that's a terrible valuation for the reasons makoman said. I'd have to get a top-40 or so pick or else would keep him.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#22 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 05 March 2024 - 05:55 PM

Not for a late third, that's a terrible valuation for the reasons makoman said. I'd have to get a top-40 or so pick or else would keep him.

I thought low 3rd wasn't a great valuation either, but the rule of thumb is that getting a pick a year late reduces the value by 1 round, so it would be the same value as a 4th rounder this year. A mid 3rd rounder would be better value than the comp pick.

I thought we should be able to get a 2nd for him, considering we gave up a 2nd for Roquan on an expiring deal.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,131 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 06:02 PM

I thought low 3rd wasn't a great valuation either, but the rule of thumb is that getting a pick a year late reduces the value by 1 round, so it would be the same value as a 4th rounder this year. A mid 3rd rounder would be better value than the comp pick.

I thought we should be able to get a 2nd for him, considering we gave up a 2nd for Roquan on an expiring deal.

No arguing the straight comparison of picks, but Madubuike for a year and then a comp-3 in '26 is better than a late 3rd (or any 3rd for that matter) in '24.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#24 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 07:58 PM

I think whats getting lost in the whole trade value talk here, is that full season with a premier interior pass rusher. Give me a 3rd next and a full season with a top interior rusher, vs a single late third this season.

DT's with the ability to consistently get to the QB are rare. We have one. I'd like to keep it that way.

#25 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 09:36 PM

I think whats getting lost in the whole trade value talk here, is that full season with a premier interior pass rusher. Give me a 3rd next and a full season with a top interior rusher, vs a single late third this season.

DT's with the ability to consistently get to the QB are rare. We have one. I'd like to keep it that way.

Well, it's a full season with a pass rushing DT and a largely immovable 22 million cap hit and a comp pick (or extension), vs an extra pick or two this year.  I'd probably trade him for a low-2nd, just for the cap flexibility and because I'm not 100% sold he can repeat his pressure rates.

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,551 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 March 2024 - 08:47 AM

Keon Coleman would be a really bad pick. Has bust written all over him IMO.

Trey Benson has the look of a guy who could be a bell cow type back, I think. Not a huge fan, but he’s a work horse and with the right team could be great.

#27 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 01:35 PM

Trey Benson has the look of a guy who could be a bell cow type back, I think. Not a huge fan, but he’s a work horse and with the right team could be great.

There's a few successful receivers that ran a 4.6 or worse at the combine, but I really don't like his athleticism profile.  He ran a god awful 40, he had a solid 0-10 split but then his 10-20 was one of the worst ever.  He might become Cooper Kupp or Mike Evans but I really don't think you want to bank on that.  Kupp at least ran the agility drills and looked good doing it.  Coleman skipped them.  Coleman looked good doing the route drills at the combine, but I just don't know how much you want to bank on that in real games with defenders on his butt.

I'm leaning toward bust as well.  But I think that he has like a 10-20% of being Evans or Kupp, and some teams might buy based on that.  Maybe if he hangs around in the 3rd round you pick him up and see if he's got something to show.

He also came in 2 inches shorter than his listed height, at 6'2" so he's not a great candidate to convert to TE.

#28 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,671 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 March 2024 - 01:39 PM

You’ve got this entirely backwards. Bensons YPC were way down last year. I’m surrounded by Nole fans in my life

@fuzydunlop

#29 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 04:57 PM

One guy who I think is going to be a beast is running back Isaac Guerendo out of Louisville.  At 223 lbs., he ran a 4.33/40 and a lot of scouts think he's the real sleeper at that position.  A freight train who didn't have a whole lot of carries in college.  Hard to tell where he'd wind up but somewhere in the 2nd round is my guess. 

#30 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, I personally like Coleman, but agree he's not worth a first rounder. Felt like he was a great combine away from springboarding into the top 20. But he did the opposite. Bad combine just dropped him out if the first IMO. I still think his short area quickness, size, hands and contested catch ability plays at the NFL level. But there are about 30 other people I'd rather take at 30 at this point.

I like a lot of the RB's. I don't think any are special, but a lot are going to be very productive, and a couple have a chance to be great. Corum is the obvious. Decent athleticism, amazing strength, great vision. Gives a lot of the same vibes JK gave out when he came out. Feel like they're very similar players.

McKinstry would be my dream selection at 30, really hoping the injury scares a lot of teams ahead of the Ravens.

#31 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 12:03 PM

Another hare brained idea: would you trade Stanley for mid 2nd round value? We could offer our 2nd rounder to get 2 firsts as well, similar to Orlando Brown's trade.

This draft is so deep in OL and WR that stacking picks early this draft seems like a viable move.

#32 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,937 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 12:06 PM

I'd trade Stanley and his contract for a 7th round. You ain't getting a 2nd or 1st for Stanley.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#33 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 12:09 PM

I'd trade Stanley and his contract for a 7th round. You ain't getting a 2nd or 1st for Stanley.

Stanley's cap is pretty reasonable to the team trading for him. We eat the dead money so the new team only is on the hook for 15 and 20 million in 2024 and 2025, and then only if they decide to keep him for that entire time.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 12:50 PM

Agree that nobody is offering a 1st or 2nd for him.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,131 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 12:57 PM

We're considering cutting Stanley for no return and the same cap implications, so of course you'd have to trade him for that type of capital.  I'm with the others who don't think he has nearly that much trade value.

#36 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 01:25 PM

Brown was going to cost the Chiefs either 1/3.3M, 2/20M, or a long term deal. He was unknown at LT, but clearly a good RT so they knew he'd at least be well worth the 1/3.3 value. Stanley at 1/15 or 2/35 is much riskier, and I think it's pretty questionable that he'd be worth 1/15.

Put another way, I think it's unlikely anyone would pay him 1/15 if he was a FA today, so no one is going to also pay a 2nd for the privilege. 

#37 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 02:22 PM

Brown was going to cost the Chiefs either 1/3.3M, 2/20M, or a long term deal. He was unknown at LT, but clearly a good RT so they knew he'd at least be well worth the 1/3.3 value. Stanley at 1/15 or 2/35 is much riskier, and I think it's pretty questionable that he'd be worth 1/15.

Put another way, I think it's unlikely anyone would pay him 1/15 if he was a FA today, so no one is going to also pay a 2nd for the privilege. 

The 49ers traded low-3rd round value for a 32 year old Trent WIlliams with 12.5m and 1 year left on his deal, after he missed/held out the entire year due to his cancer diagnosis.  That dollar amount is still a higher percentage of cap than 15 in 2024.  That would have to be the floor for Stanley's trade value IMO.  I think low-2nd round value is a possibility, with high-3rd round value probably being more likely.

Brown was traded for high-2nd round value when you factor in all the picks that got swapped, so Stanley, even in the most optimistic scenario, would still be lower than Brown's trade value.  I think Stanley has more trade value than Williams did considering Washington had no leverage because of Williams' anger at the team over his cancer diagnosis.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,131 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 02:27 PM

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if we could get a 3rd for Stanley. I'm leaning towards keeping him and not releasing, but I'd absolutely make that trade if it's available even though all the dead money would hit in '24.
  • makoman likes this

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 03:20 PM

McShay was on the Rusillo podcast saying the Bears would get a 3rd for Fields. 

Hard for me believing the Ravens would get more for Stanley.

When Williams was traded, he was still perceived to be one of the best (and he's continued to be excellent). 

I think there would be some % chance of Stanley again being very good (as he is just turning 30), but the odds feel greater that he's closer to done than ever finding excellence again. 

Missed all of that time in '20 and '21... then missed another 10 games over '22, and '23. 

I wouldn't give him away for a 3rd, because he was still good / useful for the most part when on the field (though he was obviously physically compromised)... and it's hard to find that.  Him being around for 12 games next year at a average to slightly above average starter level would be hard to replace when trying to compete.

• makoman likes this

#40 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 04:07 PM

Think he would take a pay cut like Von Miller did .?

Maybe do games played as incentives. Right now unless he come to camp in the best shape of his life he's only a part timer.

• Mackus likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=