#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2023 - 09:21 PM

This team is kinda pathetic. Glad I didn’t go tonight, I almost did.

#42 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 10:33 PM

I know there's been some talk in the past about the Under Armor basketball and how it has a bit of a different feel.  I've dismissed it in the past but it is just amazing how it seems like everyone that arrives here can't shoot.

Harris-Smith is 1-18 from 3 so far.

Kaiser is 3-23.

These were highly-rated guys that supposedly could play.  I heard local guys talk about Harris-Smith being a potential 1-and-done guy.

As a team they're shooting 21% from 3.  Just atrocious.

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 10:39 PM

Yeah hype is so evil. People love to spew it and buy into it.

#44 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 07:42 AM

Terps played much better this game, offense actually looked like an offense.  DHS is not a good defender and can be lackadaisical, he also has no jump shot.  Kaiser looks like me shooting - no bueno, but he does play well defensively, so there's that.  Geronimo, Young and Scott all played very well.  

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 08:21 AM

The perimeter shooting is ridiculous. Currently 359th in the country in 3-pt percentage.

#46 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,732 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 09:06 AM

Terps played much better this game, offense actually looked like an offense. DHS is not a good defender and can be lackadaisical, he also has no jump shot. Kaiser looks like me shooting - no bueno, but he does play well defensively, so there's that. Geronimo, Young and Scott all played very well.

Eh. I'm not going to give them much credit for an unspectacular home win against South Alabama.

I'm not going to say the offense looked like am offense when they put up 31 3PT attempts and made 5 for 16.1%

This team is gonna be BAD BAD when Young, Scott, and Reese aren't on their game.

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 09:16 AM

When did 4-star change to mean fringe top-100 recruit? Used to be 5-star was a top-10 or so level recruit, 4-star was the next 20-50 guys depending on the class, and 3-star the next 100+ guys.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,225 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 10:27 AM

Kaiser per 247

4 star, 75th Nationally, 92 grade

Adam Finkelstein, 247 Scouting Director 7/22:

Kaiser is a big-bodied wing who incorporates both skill and physicality into his attack. A former football player, he’s built with a broad upper-body and high-motor. His rate of improvement in recent years has been extremely high, particularly with his skill-set. He’s made himself into a good shooter with a high-arching ball and compact release that doesn’t require much separation from his defender. He makes threes, pull-ups, and will even take smaller defenders into the mid-post area at times. Kaiser will curl screens to get to his spots, seems to have a good concept of floor-spacing, and maximizes the deep corners as a spot-up shooter. He doesn’t have ideal footspeed and is rarely going to blow right by a set defender off the dribble, so he can sometimes settle for tough, contested shots when looking to create his own offense. Defensively, he’s going to have an easier time switching up the line-up, because of his ability to body up with bigger forwards, than down, where lateral quickness could be an issue. Overall, he plays very hard, has untapped upside as he continues maximize his footspeed and develop his game at such a rapid rate.

Harris-Smith

4 star, 27th Nationally, 95 grade

Finkelstein 7/22:

Harris-Smith doesn’t have the prettiest or most skilled offensive game, but his will to win is what separates him. He plays incredibly hard, impacts the game in numerous ways, and projects as someone who won’t need to score many points to change the game at the next level. A 6-foot-5 lefty, he is long, strong, and rugged with an unmatched motor. He’s an elite rebounder for his size. He moves his feet well enough laterally, is physical banging in the post, ultra-competitive defensively, and consequently very versatile. He’s a willing ball-mover in the half-court and deceptively good passer. He loves to take the ball off the defensive glass to start the break himself and is heading straight for the opposite rim at full speed until someone stops him. He draws a ton of contact and gets to the free-throw line as a result. He is not a natural shooter, leaning back into his release and shooting a harder ball, but managed to shoot over 40% from behind the arc in EYBL play. He also needs to develop his right hand, as he is very left hand dominant offensively. Overall, what his game may lack in aesthetics or style, he more than compensates for with force, versatility, and sheer effort.

Lamothe
247: 3 star,137 Nationally, 88 grade

Rivals: 4 star, 91st Nationally

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,634 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 November 2023 - 10:56 AM

I think we will see Kaiser and Harris-Smith develop..    They have played 6 games, so let's not give up on them yet.  Kaiser is clearly pressing on every shot.  What stood out to me is he passed up on a few open looks yesterday.  That is playing scared,  I think when a few go down, and they will, we will see a much different player.  As for Harris-Smith, I think he is playing very hard and I think his defense is decent, but he is gambling a little too much.

As for Lamothe, I would like to see him get some run.  He was a good 3 pt. shooter in HS and the Terps need a sniper.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#50 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,732 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 11:22 AM

I always felt like guys who are top 25ish should be immediate significant contributors.

Anything 50-100 are wild cards.

Anything outside the top 100 are unlikely to give much the first year or two.

Melo was around 29ish and obviously a key part from day one. Wiley was 62 and Nickens was 95. Surprisingly Cekovsky was 37. Didn't remember him being as highly regarded.

Cowan was only 83. Huerter 85. Fernando 71. Morsell 105. Jalen Smith 15. Wiggins 47.
Ayala 71. Reese 48. Ike Cornish 91.

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,634 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 November 2023 - 12:26 PM

There were some good things last night.  GeronimoScott and Reese really worked the inside game well, both offensively and defensively,  Geronimo looks like he is getting comfortable.  Geronimo is strong, athletic and the wing span to guard taller players,  Reese has gotten stronger and is tough inside.  Scott played like the veteran he is.  The Terps were struggling early and Scott and Young took over and got the ship righted.

I think the kids will get better as the season goes on, but the Terps need to be a lot better from the outside to be good.  I think the loss of  Chance Stephens hurt more than we thought.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=