#21 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,777 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 November 2023 - 11:08 AM

Not available now, but Brissett, Tannehill, Bridgewater. 2 of those three I believe were available in the

offseason. 

All failed starters, that are reduced to backup roles.

#22 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 11:10 AM

If Lamar was out for 3 or 4 games Huntley is capable of winning 1 or 2 with a lot of help from the defense. That's basically what happened last year. That's pretty much what I want from the backup, keep the team afloat and the season alive until Lamar gets back. I prefer not to use much cap on a guy that you hope never sees the field. If Lamar goes down for good the year is down the tubes regardless if we have Huntley or whoever might be the 35th best QB in the league. The Chiefs and Eagles usually know what they're doing and I don't think anyone expects Blaine Gabbert and Marcus Mariota to win anything.

#23 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 November 2023 - 11:11 AM

Are you telling me that pro bowler Tyler Huntley isn't good?!?

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 11:20 AM

Not available now, but Brissett, Tannehill, Bridgewater. 2 of those three I believe were available in the

offseason. 

Bridgewater is actually cheap and was available.

Brissett is making $8.5M this year.  Tannehill wasn't available, and even if he were traded, he's got a $27M salary.

Snoop is making $2.6M.  I wouldn't resign him for more than that, or even bring him back for the same, but that's not a whole lot more than minimum salary.  I'd probably save the money and find the next UFA or late round pick who can do the job.  But there really aren't any good options for backup QB.  Even the ones that cost you a lot of money aren't good, if they were, they'd have starters jobs.  If Lamar goes out for an extended period, you're done.  You just need someone who can hand off the ball and not outright lose you the game if he's gonna miss a game or three, hope to stay afloat until Lamar is back.    I wouldn't be any more confident to have Brissett or Bridgewater backing up Lamar instead of Huntley for any amount of time.  They're all the same level of barely any hope.  So might as well go for the cheap one who's familiar with the offense.

• DuffMan likes this

#25 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 11:29 AM

All failed starters, that are reduced to backup roles.

The comment was about back ups. 

#26 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 11:33 AM

Bridgewater is actually cheap and was available.

Brissett is making $8.5M this year.  Tannehill wasn't available, and even if he were traded, he's got a $27M salary.

Snoop is making $2.6M.  I wouldn't resign him for more than that, or even bring him back for the same, but that's not a whole lot more than minimum salary.  I'd probably save the money and find the next UFA or late round pick who can do the job.  But there really aren't any good options for backup QB.  Even the ones that cost you a lot of money aren't good, if they were, they'd have starters jobs.  If Lamar goes out for an extended period, you're done.  You just need someone who can hand off the ball and not outright lose you the game if he's gonna miss a game or three, hope to stay afloat until Lamar is back.    I wouldn't be any more confident to have Brissett or Bridgewater backing up Lamar instead of Huntley for any amount of time.  They're all the same level of barely any hope.  So might as well go for the cheap one who's familiar with the offense.

We can agree to disagree. Huintley is 0-2. Hopefully we won't have to see his third opportunity. I would take Bridgewater over him any day of the week. 

#27 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 01:25 PM

Are you telling me that pro bowler Tyler Huntley isn't good?!?

Huntley isn't very good, but horrible coaching decisions probably cost a couple wins last season.

• bmore_ken likes this

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 01:34 PM

I think Huntley is a solid backup. Understanding that all backups are limited
  • Mike B likes this

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 November 2023 - 01:52 PM

I think Huntley is a solid backup. Understanding that all backups are limited

I agree.  In a league where a third of the starters probably  should be back ups, Huntley is slotted where he should be. I watched Cleveland and PB yesterday and both Pickett and Thompson-Robinson are bad.  Hell the Jets, are benching Wilson  for some guy named Tim Boyle.

@mikeghg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=