• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 12:45 PM

If you had told me before the season the Ravens could lose Andrews and Dobbins for the year, and I'd still think they could win a SB....  I would have been highly skeptical. 

With Thanksgiving next week, feels to me that the SB Champion is going to be one of SF, Philly, KC, or the Ravens. 

Maybe you can squint and see Dallas, Miami.... Buffalo if Allen gets scorching...  Detroit, Seattle, Jacksonville...  but pretty hard for me to picture any of them.

Ravens have a real opportunity in-front of them. 
Would be disappointing to me if they don't get to the AFCC game.

• Mike B likes this

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 01:36 PM

They have the talent and the ability to beat anyone.  But the inability to put away inferior teams leaves a lot of question marks.

Dallas isn't winning anything.  They're great at running up the score against bad teams but fall apart when challenged.

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 01:43 PM

Dobbins was replaceable. We still have Gus and Mitchell has stepped up. When he gets used that is. Andrews is a bit tougher. But I think as long as they split the targets between Koler and Likely and not rely on one to replace Andrews, they'll be ok at TE. Lamar will have to adjust to not having his favorite target. And stop standing in the pocket until the last second. I'm tired of screaming for him to RUN through my tv  :mrgreen:

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 03:18 PM

Dobbins was replaceable. We still have Gus and Mitchell has stepped up. When he gets used that is. Andrews is a bit tougher. But I think as long as they split the targets between Koler and Likely and not rely on one to replace Andrews, they'll be ok at TE. Lamar will have to adjust to not having his favorite target. And stop standing in the pocket until the last second. I'm tired of screaming for him to RUN through my tv :mrgreen:

I actually think Andrews' loss will translate into more looks for Zay as well.

Fortunately they have a long week to figure it out as well as a late bye.

#5 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 03:30 PM

Like I said in the game thread, I think/hope the WRs get the bulk of Andrews' targets. Likely/Kolar shouldn't get anything near the looks Andrews gets, but hopefully they earn some trust over time. But it's time for Bateman to step up, and OBJ to start earning that 15M.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2023 - 03:37 PM

If you had told me before the season the Ravens could lose Andrews and Dobbins for the year, and I'd still think they could win a SB....  I would have been highly skeptical. 

With Thanksgiving next week, feels to me that the SB Champion is going to be one of SF, Philly, KC, or the Ravens. 

Maybe you can squint and see Dallas, Miami.... Buffalo if Allen gets scorching...  Detroit, Seattle, Jacksonville...  but pretty hard for me to picture any of them.

Ravens have a real opportunity in-front of them. 
Would be disappointing to me if they don't get to the AFCC game.

I think the Ravens are evolving nicely on offense.  I think they are going to be able to score pretty consistently going forward and I think the defense is fine.  Injuries are a concern for every team, the Ravens included but if Lamar can stay on the field we are going to be fine.  I think we are starting to see new plays and key players stepping up.  The Ravens are actually running screens.  The Zay Flowers screen was beautiful.  A horrible call took it away, but it worked none the less.  

I think your right about the 3 teams with the best shot, and while upsets happen, I think it may come down to the Ravens and KC.  

I think the defense is good.  Good teams are going to score on them, but that is the NFL,

@mikeghg

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 November 2023 - 03:40 PM

I don't think the Ravens need Likely or Kollar to be Mark Andrews, I think they need to be serviceable, because I think OBJ, Bateman, Flowers and Agholor are stepping up.  Gus and Mitchell are playing well and then there is Lamar.  

@mikeghg

#8 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 04:12 PM

I don't think the Ravens need Likely or Kollar to be Mark Andrews, I think they need to be serviceable, because I think OBJ, Bateman, Flowers and Agholor are stepping up. Gus and Mitchell are playing well and then there is Lamar.

Yeah he's not replaceable. The offense will have to be different moving forward. Atleast we have a few extra days to figure things out but it's definitely gonna take contributions from multiple players to keep the offense producing like it has lately.

Hopefully Andrews makes a full recovery because a fractured fibula and some torn ligaments is pretty serious.

#9 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 17 November 2023 - 04:49 PM

Like I said in the game thread, I think/hope the WRs get the bulk of Andrews' targets. Likely/Kolar shouldn't get anything near the looks Andrews gets, but hopefully they earn some trust over time. But it's time for Bateman to step up, and OBJ to start earning that 15M.

OBJ is finally starting to look like a decent move. Demarcus Robinson wouldn't have taken those slants for 30 yards.

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 05:18 PM

OBJ is finally starting to look like a decent move. Demarcus Robinson wouldn't have taken those slants for 30 yards.

Not for the cost imo. But at least he's finally making some plays. 

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2023 - 05:20 PM

Because week's 1-9 don't count? Cute he has shown up for a couple games, I'll give him that. I still don't like him. 

That said, the upside he is beginning to flash - if he can come through in a SSS in the playoffs, it's a game changer. That's a big IF, and not something you can reasonably expect, but it would negate every bad thing I've said about him.

#12 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 06:42 PM

On the Flowers 68 yard TD that was wiped off the board, notice who was actually outrunning him for a second (granted, not carrying a ball) while running interference in blocking... it was Keaton Mitchell.

They HAVE to get the ball in that guy's hands more during a game.  Whether it's a straight hand-off, pitch, jet sweep, screen, wheel route, whatever.  He needs 12-15 touches and targets a game.  Dude can fly and is obviously difficult for ANYONE to contain or catch in space.

#13 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 17 November 2023 - 07:12 PM

Because week's 1-9 don't count? Cute he has shown up for a couple games, I'll give him that. I still don't like him. 

That said, the upside he is beginning to flash - if he can come through in a SSS in the playoffs, it's a game changer. That's a big IF, and not something you can reasonably expect, but it would negate every bad thing I've said about him.

His 3 games since the snake-eyes in Arizona he's played pretty well.  10 for 212 yards.  He had that nice 40 yard catch and run on a slant last game, and he got open on a similar play this week and ran for 30+.  If he keeps that up for the rest of the year then that's a solid season.  He'll get the chance to with Andrews not taking as much target share.  I'm not expecting a 100 yard game every game from here on out, but he has a good chance ahead of him to earn his contract now that he looks to be 100%.

Someone is going to have to make up the move-the-chains volume receptions that Andrews kind of excelled at before, I'm guessing he and Flowers will both get a chance to do that.

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,670 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 07:39 PM

I was critical of his effort earlier this year. Maybe Andrews being around ups his focus and effort. The positive here is he appears to still have some juice and it appears as though teams still have to respect him. That respect is the most important part whether he ultimately catches 2 for 25 or 8 for 130

#15 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 18 November 2023 - 06:42 PM

The good news is only having 1 game over the next 20 days or so, which allows the offense to practice a good amount without Andrews and try to find some sort of comfort level. Of course Andrews is irreplaceable, nor is there anything positive about him getting hurt.

With that said, Lamar not having Andrews as a fallback option could be a way for the offense to grow. There will be more looks for the WRs and it will also give Likely and Kolar an opportunity to grow.

Lastly, might we elevate preseason legend, Travis Volkolek from the practice squad?
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#16 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 09:54 PM

It's hard for me to see the Andrews injury as anything but seriously damaging to the offense.  If I were asked what people on the offense can the Ravens afford not to lose, it would be Lamar #1, and Andrews #2.  Nobody else comes close.  I never felt Dobbins was a big deal, because they have Edwards and can always fall back on Lamar's legs.  

Only Zay Flowers has more yards receiving than Andrews on the team.  It's 588 to 544 and that's probably only because Andrews didn't play most of Thursday night's game.  The next best receivers are 374, 261, and 215.  The Ravens were one of maybe three teams where the TE was a superstar position.  The others being KC and SF.   There are some other good ones, but none are true game changers the way Kelce, Andrews, and Kittle can be.  What makes Andrews so damn good is he constantly finds the soft spot in any coverage thrown at him.  The only time opposing teams have any success is they have to key their coverage on him.  That can soften the defense up for other receivers.  Now if I am a defensive coordinator, I'm focusing the attention I might have had to spend on Andrews on Zay Flowers.  I won't totally ignore Kolar and Likely, but I'm going to gamble that they can't beat me.

And the red zone offense will suffer as well.  The Ravens have 13 passing TDs.  6 of them went to Andrews.  Nobody else has more than 3.  Andrews just has a nose to get open that is unmatched.  The clutch 3rd and 9, or 3rd and goal from 7, more often than not it was Andrews.  Maybe someone else can step up, but I don't think anyone can replace what Andrews means to the offense.  

• PrimeTime likes this

#17 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 20 November 2023 - 05:56 AM

@cprenegade Everything you said is spot on. However, to look at things from another perspective, how much of Andrews' production stems from him being Lamar's 1st option always?

In other words, in Andrews' absence, since Lamar will be forced to go in other directions, perhaps we will find someone else to be similarly capable of filling the Andrews clutch role.

Or, perhaps Lamar always looks to Andrews not just because of a comfort level but because he's just that good. Either way, we'll find out over the next few weeks.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 09:39 AM

It's hard for me to see the Andrews injury as anything but seriously damaging to the offense.  If I were asked what people on the offense can the Ravens afford not to lose, it would be Lamar #1, and Andrews #2.  Nobody else comes close.  I never felt Dobbins was a big deal, because they have Edwards and can always fall back on Lamar's legs.  

Only Zay Flowers has more yards receiving than Andrews on the team.  It's 588 to 544 and that's probably only because Andrews didn't play most of Thursday night's game.  The next best receivers are 374, 261, and 215.  The Ravens were one of maybe three teams where the TE was a superstar position.  The others being KC and SF.   There are some other good ones, but none are true game changers the way Kelce, Andrews, and Kittle can be.  What makes Andrews so damn good is he constantly finds the soft spot in any coverage thrown at him.  The only time opposing teams have any success is they have to key their coverage on him.  That can soften the defense up for other receivers.  Now if I am a defensive coordinator, I'm focusing the attention I might have had to spend on Andrews on Zay Flowers.  I won't totally ignore Kolar and Likely, but I'm going to gamble that they can't beat me.

And the red zone offense will suffer as well.  The Ravens have 13 passing TDs.  6 of them went to Andrews.  Nobody else has more than 3.  Andrews just has a nose to get open that is unmatched.  The clutch 3rd and 9, or 3rd and goal from 7, more often than not it was Andrews.  Maybe someone else can step up, but I don't think anyone can replace what Andrews means to the offense.  

No doubt. But they can still find a way. The Vikings were 1-4 before Jefferson went down and were 4-1 since (before last night. Fuel on the fire they lose Cousins, and still keep on rolling (close loss last night). 

They need guys to step up, and they need to lean on their most talented guys which is not their next TEs in line. If Lamar is checking down to Likeley 10 times a game they are in trouble. If the target share goes up for Bateman, OBJ, they should be fine. 

If Lamar goes down, kiss everything goodbye. We know Huntley is a big fat loser and the fact they just settle on him to be the #2 after this long is infuriating. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,776 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 November 2023 - 09:54 AM

No doubt. But they can still find a way. The Vikings were 1-4 before Jefferson went down and were 4-1 since (before last night. Fuel on the fire they lose Cousins, and still keep on rolling (close loss last night). 

They need guys to step up, and they need to lean on their most talented guys which is not their next TEs in line. If Lamar is checking down to Likeley 10 times a game they are in trouble. If the target share goes up for Bateman, OBJ, they should be fine. 

If Lamar goes down, kiss everything goodbye. We know Huntley is a big fat loser and the fact they just settle on him to be the #2 after this long is infuriating. 

Are there really any good backup qb's out there?   Seems like half the teams in the league don't even have a legit starting qb let alone a backup.

• Mackus likes this

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 10:45 AM

Are there really any good backup qb's out there?   Seems like half the teams in the league don't even have a legit starting qb let alone a backup.

Not available now, but Brissett, Tannehill, Bridgewater. 2 of those three I believe were available in the

offseason. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=