• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 06:00 PM

Not even mad anymore. Just disappointed. I just expect to be disappointed.

#3 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:31 PM

My takeaway is that all of the accolades being heaped on this team were a bit premature.  

They are a good team, they will be in the playoff mix.  

They are not the best team in the NFL by a longshot over everyone else as some were saying.

They are not an unstoppable offense.  They are not a historic defense like the 2000 Ravens.

They were the benefactor of a schedule that fed them some pretty mediocre QBs to match up against.  

Lamar Jackson can be neutralized if you have a good defense and you play him the right way.  When you bring pressure, you better have containment.  If you can force him out of the pocket and you take away his running lanes you will force him to throw on the run where he is less accurate.  Just make sure you have containment or he will beat you for big yardage with his legs.  Watch the Cleveland tape and see how it is done.  Watch the Detroit tape and see what not to do.  

#4 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 05:02 AM

My takeaway is that all of the accolades being heaped on this team were a bit premature.

They are a good team, they will be in the playoff mix.

They are not the best team in the NFL by a longshot over everyone else as some were saying.
They are not an unstoppable offense. They are not a historic defense like the 2000 Ravens.

They were the benefactor of a schedule that fed them some pretty mediocre QBs to match up against.

Lamar Jackson can be neutralized if you have a good defense and you play him the right way. When you bring pressure, you better have containment. If you can force him out of the pocket and you take away his running lanes you will force him to throw on the run where he is less accurate. Just make sure you have containment or he will beat you for big yardage with his legs. Watch the Cleveland tape and see how it is done. Watch the Detroit tape and see what not to do.

You just have to take out 3 of his starting lineman, and have one of the best pass rushers of the generation, on top of a top 3 overall defense ?
  • PrimeTime likes this

#5 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 06:10 AM

How to beat the Ravens: keep it fairly close going into the fourth quarter and they'll take care of the rest.

• Mike in STL likes this

#6 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 06:30 AM

When they had the ball on O the scoring drives were quick. Then the D couldn't get off the field on long Cleve drives. The middle of the field was open for them all game. Plus Watson would be surrounded but somehow be able to get away.

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 07:13 AM

As soon as you start to feel confident in this team, start believing the hype, they pull the friggin rug out from under you.

Every. Damn. Time.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,432 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 08:04 AM

They are one of the better reg season teams in the league. Nothing is changing that short of a Lamar injury. Good luck putting together 4 good, clean games in a row in the playoffs though. Lamar makes too many mistakes despite his ability to be brilliant. Thats the part thats infuriating. Just take care of the damn ball. He cant do it though. Hes allergic to ball security

#9 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 08:08 AM

How to beat the Ravens: keep it fairly close going into the fourth quarter and they'll take care of the rest.

14 points isn’t even fairly close.
@BSLMikeRandall

#10 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 08:12 AM

14 points isn’t even fairly close.

For the Ravens it is.  Blowout wins or late game collapses.

#11 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 09:04 AM

They are one of the better reg season teams in the league. Nothing is changing that short of a Lamar injury. Good luck putting together 4 good, clean games in a row in the playoffs though. Lamar makes too many mistakes despite his ability to be brilliant. Thats the part thats infuriating. Just take care of the damn ball. He cant do it though. Hes allergic to ball security

I don't think this is an inherent Lamar problem. Even with yesterday the int rate is still very low, 10th in the league and you really wouldn't want many of the guys ahead of him. The fumbles are obviously obnoxious and need to be fixed, one per game. But from 2019-2022 he had 30 in 54 games (0.55/g), which would be far more acceptable for someone who has the ball so much (2018 was also quite bad, but was cleaned up). For comparison Allen has 55 in 86 games (0.64/g) and Hurts has 22 in his past 39 games (0.56/g). Looking at others, Burrow has 22 in 51 games (0.43/g), Mahomes has 34 in 89 games (0.38/g), Tua 24 in 45 games (0.53/g), Herbert 19 in 58 (0.33/g), Lawrence 28 in 43 games (0.65/game), Prescott 53 in 106 (0.5/g).

Everyone will have strip sacks. Fix the read option exchange issues, and stop being so nonchalant with the ball once you become a runner. Get back to 2019-22 levels and you're in an acceptable area.

• Mackus likes this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,066 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 09:32 AM

Agree with makoman. Only issue with Lamar and turnovers are the aborted handoffs. Have to fix that. I'm not concerned about him being loose with the ball as a runner or throwing an inordinate number of picks. He's not elite in terms of avoiding those, but I don't think it's a serious problem or fatal flaw.

I would love to try and clean up the ones that are bafflingly stupid. I don't mind taking some chances, but can't just toss it in the air, in play, for no reason. The end zone pick that was overturned and the late 2nd quarter pick were both awful. He rarely did that early in his career, but going back to NYG game last year it feels like it's becoming more frequent. Overall still fine, but those ones are low hanging fruit that can easily be fixed.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,432 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 10:58 AM

It goes beyond just fumbles and Ints. Hes a poor game manager when gameflow call for game management. On two different drives just yesterday he went backwards and ultimately took sacks while in FG range. He often hikes the ball with too much time on the clock when the team should be using clock. How many times does this team snatch victory from likely defeat? But they love to snatch defeat from likely victory. This isnt solely on Lamar obviously but he plays a big part. This core of coaches and players dont have a clue how to finish games.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 November 2023 - 01:02 PM

Agree with makoman. Only issue with Lamar and turnovers are the aborted handoffs. Have to fix that. I'm not concerned about him being loose with the ball as a runner or throwing an inordinate number of picks. He's not elite in terms of avoiding those, but I don't think it's a serious problem or fatal flaw.

I would love to try and clean up the ones that are bafflingly stupid. I don't mind taking some chances, but can't just toss it in the air, in play, for no reason. The end zone pick that was overturned and the late 2nd quarter pick were both awful. He rarely did that early in his career, but going back to NYG game last year it feels like it's becoming more frequent. Overall still fine, but those ones are low hanging fruit that can easily be fixed.

Oh, is that all?

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,632 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 November 2023 - 01:26 PM

Part of me thinks that I should be enraged.

Part of me thinks that we might be the most spoiled fan base in sports.

Did you guys watch the Jets Raiders last night?

(shrug)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 November 2023 - 01:34 PM

(shrug)

Good point.

I just want to win. I guess that is a form of spoiled, I don't know. Perspective certainly doesn't hurt. There are a ton of teams around the league in significantly worse shape than us both in the here and now, and looking forward.

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 01:35 PM

Oh, is that all?

Pretty much. Strip sacks aren't really his fault and I don't recall him fumbling a lot in the open field. 

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 01:39 PM

I'm curious to know why Mitchell only got three runs. 

#19 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 01:51 PM

(shrug)

As fans, we paid our dues with inept offenses in the post-SB Billick era. ;)

We might be spoiled, but it's still the same story year after year and same stupid responses from Harbaugh.

#20 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 01:56 PM

(shrug)

Is a 2-5 playoff record over 10 years all that spoiled? Only making it half the time, with little success. Sure the Raiders and Jets are dumpster fires, and so are some other teams. The Panthers are 3-4 in that time. The Jags are 3-2. Texans 2-4. Colts are 4-4. Titans 3-4. Falcons 3-2. Vikings 2-4. Chargers are 2-3. Are Panthers fans spoiled? How long are we spoiled from winning a SB? Can a head coach coast off that forever? Is "at least we aren't the Lions" good enough to stay satisfied?

I will say that these meltdowns are starting to not bother me. It was kind of a shrug and meh afternoon, but these kinds of days are getting pretty normalized and the coaches aren't accountable to anything so I move on and do something else. It's disappointing, it's more fun being super engaged.
  • You Play to Win the Game and bmore_ken like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=