GREAT MILLS (5-4) @ LONG REACH (6-3) Friday 6:00

• SonicAttack likes this

#2 Tomgruneberg

Tomgruneberg
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 07:18 PM

Playoffs week 1

Picking winners this year has been about as easy as guessing the arrival time of a Zum bus.  Nobody really knows, but here I go attempting to pick the playoff games.  Mount Hebron gets a bye, 2 games are on Thursday night, and 7 HOCO teams get a home game.  By next week we could have as few as 4 teams remaining or as many as 9 left, which means at least 3 seasons are ending this week.  

2A WEST

HAMMOND (0-9) @ GLENELG (6-3) Friday 6:00. Hammonds season mercifully comes to an end.  The Golden Bears have scored 3 times this season and given up a lot of points.  My only question is to the Howard county schedulers:  How in the world do Hammond and Centennial not play each other?  These are historically the worst programs in the county.  They need to play each other EVERY YEAR so at least 1 of them gets a win.  Glenelg by 3 scores

CENTENNIAL (0-9) @ WILDE LAKE (4-5) Friday 6:00. Centennial is slightly better than Hammond on paper (they’ve scored 5 times) but it’s time for their season to end.  Wilde Lake beat them 26-0 earlier this season.  I suspect this one will be worse.  I’m sure the Eagles players are just ready to cheer for the basketball team.  Lake by 3 scores

3 A EAST

MOUNT HEBRON.  (7-2) (BYE). Hebron gets a bye this week as the top seed.  Is it a “well deserved” rest.  No.  They’ve lost their last 2 and if I’m a part of that team I’d be dying to play somebody this week to get that sour taste of rotten gator out of my mouth.  

LANSDOWNE (1-8) @ ATHOLTON (6-3) Friday 6:00. Atholton put up 33 points on River Hill last week.  Lansdowne of Baltimore county is a 1-8 squad in a very weak county overall.  (yes I know they have their powerhouses)(but Lansdowne didn’t play any of them!) Atholton running clock here.  

OAKLAND MILLS (3-6) @ RIVER HILL (5-4) Friday 6:00. Intriguing matchup.  OM is on a 3 game win streak after losing their first 6.  A QB change may have been the catalyst.  RH just gave up 33 to Atholton last week.  These squads scrimmaged early in the season, with RH having a pretty clear advantage there, but a lot of things change in 10 weeks or so.  I still think RH comes away with the victory, but it will be closer than the records indicate it should be.  RH by 1 score.  

MARRIOTTS RIDGE (4-5) @ OXON HILL (4-5) Friday 7:00. This ain’t Woodford drive any more fellas.  The Mustangs take that long drive down to Prince George’s county to take on the Clippers of Oxon Hill.  Neither team is particularly impressive, with both sporting 4-5 records.  I’m going with the home team on this one.  OH by 1 score.  

4A/3A EAST

SEVERNA PARK (2-7) @ RESERVOIR.(7-2) Thursday 6:00. Unfortunately for Severna Park, this is not a lacrosse game.  Maybe they’d have a chance if it was, but we’re playing football here.  No sticks bros.  1/2 of our County Champs shouldn’t have too tough of a time with an Anne Arundel doormat.  Resi by 2 scores.  

LEONARDTOWN (4-5) @ HOWARD (6-3) Thursday 6:00. Another interesting matchup here.  I’m gonna check this one out Thursday night.  Leonardtown will have about an hour and 40 minute drive from St. Mary’s county before they play the Lions.  Howard has been somewhat inconsistent this season, but they do have a significant victory over eventual county champion Mount Hebron.  I look for Howard to roll by 2 scores.  

GREAT MILLS (5-4) @ LONG REACH (6-3) Friday 6:00.   On paper, these 2 squads are fairly evenly matched.  Both have been somewhat inconsistent this season.  Great Mills is another St. Mary’s county team that will have a loooong drive up to HOCO.  I think the Lightning will send them home with an L.  Long Reach by 1 score. 

• SonicAttack likes this

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:32 PM

Eagles by 139

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 Tomgruneberg

Tomgruneberg
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 November 2023 - 03:28 PM

Playoffs week 1 postmortem.  

5-3 in the first week of playoffs picks.  

Not a great first week for Howard County in the state playoffs as 2 Saint Mary’s county teams rolled up to HOCO and eliminated 2 squads.  6 of 12 teams were eliminated in the first round and 6 remain.  

I watched Howard get dismantled by a Leonardtown team that came into the game sporting a 4-5 regular season record.  Howard could not slow down Ltowns wing T run game, and an early exit by D Moore limited the Lions offensive production.  

Long Reach loses to a Great Mills team that hadn’t won a playoff game SINCE 1989.  Not a great showing from our 4A/3A teams and I don’t see Resi beating Leonardtown either.

On a better note for Howard County, Reservoir dispatched the Severna Park lax bros 49-12.  

Moving to the 3A, everything went as I had predicted with the exception of the red hot scorpions of Oakland Mills upsetting the River Hill Hawks.  The game was 8-6 going into the 4th quarter and then OM just pulled away to end up winning 29-6.  Atholton will get another shot at OM who beat them several weeks ago to start their win streak.  

Marriotts Ridge went on the road to PG county and came home with an 18-0 loss.  

Atholton rolled over a 1-8 Lansdowne and Mount Hebron had a bye.  

No surprises in the 2A as Glenelg and Wilde Lake beat up on our 2 bottom feeders.

Howard County teams remaining in the playoffs:

Mount Hebron

Reservoir

Oakland Mills

Atholton

Wilde Lake

Glenelg

Eliminated

Howard

Long Reach

River Hill

Marriotts Ridge

Centennial 

Hammond

• SonicAttack likes this

#5 Tomgruneberg

Tomgruneberg
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 November 2023 - 05:50 PM

WEEK 2 PLAYOFFS

Week 2 of the Maryland state playoffs is here.  6 Howard County teams remain.  As many as 4 will play next week or as few as 2 could be left.  The “re-seed” happens next week, so we are guaranteed some interesting matchups with the survivors.  

WILDE LAKE 5-5) @ GLENELG (7-3)-*Thursday night*.  This will be a good matchup,  but I’m going with Glenelg.  They have won their last 2 since losing to RH in front of a huge crowd a few weeks ago.  Wilde Lake limped into the postseason on a 2 game losing streak before beating centennial in the first round of the playoffs.  The Glads will need to successfully run the ball to win the game.  WL sports a good running game of their own, but I see Big Reds D stepping up here.  Glenelg by 1 score.  

OXON HILL (5-5) @ MOUNT HEBRON (7-2). Oxon Hill had a nice little playoff win at home vs. Marriotts Ridge last week, but it’s time for Mount Hebron to show that killer instinct and end their season.  Hebron should have plenty of pent up aggression after losing their final 2 regular season games, and then having a bye week to stew about it.  I don’t know much about Oxon Hill,  but I know they will have a long drive up to the lovely town of Ellicott City to face the hoco champs.  Hebron should ground and pound this team to win by 2 scores.  

LEONARDTOWN (5-5) @ RESERVOIR (8-2).  I witnessed Leonardtown run all over a pretty good Howard team last week.  Granted, Howard’s best offensive threat left after the first defensive series, but still.  Leonardtown runs a potent under center wing T with a pounder at superback and some quickness on the wings with a few maulers up front.  They can throw the play action when they need to, but that’s clearly not their preferred method of matriculating the ball down the field.  Their solid defense is led by # 7 who comes from his safety position like a missile to lay the wood on running backs.  Mr. Alvarado is a good back, but I don’t see him doing much against this defense.  Leonardtown by a score.  

OAKLAND MILLS (4-6) @ ATHOLTON (7-3). Oakland Mills is Carolina Reaper hot right now, and I’m on the bandwagon after watching them pull away from RH in the 4th quarter last week.  The quarterback change has paid big dividends.  Atholton is not nearly the team they were the last 2 seasons, but they have improved since I saw them lay an egg week 1 at Glenelg.  Scorps by a score in a close one. 

• SonicAttack likes this

#6 Tomgruneberg

Tomgruneberg
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 01:46 PM

PLAYOFFS week 2 POSTMORTEM 

Well, I was 3-1 on the week-not bad.  8-4 in the 2 weeks of the playoffs.  

The game I got wrong was the Thursday nighter.  Wilde Lake put on a nice performance on the ground and in the air to eliminate Glenelg 28-20.  This one was never really that close as WL was winning 28-7 into the 4th quarter and gave up some scores late.  Lake show goes on the road to Stephen Decatur next week. 

Mount Hebron knocks off PG county foe Oxon Hill 49-37.  Was this a basketball game?  Was any defense played?  No matter -Hebron advances and has the only home game in Howard County next week when Baltimore City College (aka City) makes the trip to Ellicott City.

Reservoir gets shut out and eliminated by Saint Mary’s finest-Leonardtown 21-0.  It actually should have been worse if LTOWN doesn’t botch a golden opportunity to score just before half.  No matter though, the old school wing t churned up the gators and a stingy, hard hitting defense kept them out of the end zone. Hmmmm-sounds familiar.  Anyway, I’m kind of invested in LTOWN now after watching them beat 2 hoco teams in 2 weeks.  Best of luck to them next week as they travel to top seed Perry Hall to take on the Gators.  Side note-I believe only 2 schools in MD use the mascot and L town plays them both in consecutive weeks.  

And finally…the amazing Cinderella Scorpions of Oakland Mills notch another playoff victory.  This time they knock off Atholton 12-8.  Just a reminder-this team started the season LOSING 6 STRAIGHT.  But they won their last 3 regular season games and now have won 2 playoff games-I’ve never seen anything like it.  I’m not going to talk about what’s next for the scorps-let’s just enjoy this win for now. 

• SonicAttack likes this

#7 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 11:47 AM

PLAYOFFS week 2 POSTMORTEM

Well, I was 3-1 on the week-not bad. 8-4 in the 2 weeks of the playoffs.

The game I got wrong was the Thursday nighter. Wilde Lake put on a nice performance on the ground and in the air to eliminate Glenelg 28-20. This one was never really that close as WL was winning 28-7 into the 4th quarter and gave up some scores late. Lake show goes on the road to Stephen Decatur next week.

Mount Hebron knocks off PG county foe Oxon Hill 49-37. Was this a basketball game? Was any defense played? No matter -Hebron advances and has the only home game in Howard County next week when Baltimore City College (aka City) makes the trip to Ellicott City.

Reservoir gets shut out and eliminated by Saint Mary’s finest-Leonardtown 21-0. It actually should have been worse if LTOWN doesn’t botch a golden opportunity to score just before half. No matter though, the old school wing t churned up the gators and a stingy, hard hitting defense kept them out of the end zone. Hmmmm-sounds familiar. Anyway, I’m kind of invested in LTOWN now after watching them beat 2 hoco teams in 2 weeks. Best of luck to them next week as they travel to top seed Perry Hall to take on the Gators. Side note-I believe only 2 schools in MD use the mascot and L town plays them both in consecutive weeks.

And finally…the amazing Cinderella Scorpions of Oakland Mills notch another playoff victory. This time they knock off Atholton 12-8. Just a reminder-this team started the season LOSING 6 STRAIGHT. But they won their last 3 regular season games and now have won 2 playoff games-I’ve never seen anything like it. I’m not going to talk about what’s next for the scorps-let’s just enjoy this win for now.

What's your take on Mt Hebron City? It'll be ground and pound vs. the air raid. HoCo football looks a little down to me and I expect City to be a handful for Mt. Hebron. This might be a very high scoring game.
  • Tomgruneberg likes this

#8 Tomgruneberg

Tomgruneberg
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 07:57 PM

WEEK 3 HOWARD COUNTY PLAYOFFS 

3 Howard County teams remain.  Will any survive?  Only 1 game within the county and it’s Hebron on Saturday.  Yes the Vikings are playing a high level playoff game on Saturday afternoon BECAUSE THERE IS A PLAY FRIDAY NIGHT.  Can we not have 2 events at a school at the same time?  We’ve done it plenty of times at RH.  Unbelievable-now I can’t go to the game because I’m going to MD/Michigan.  

OAKLAND MILLS (5-6)  @ OAKDALE (11-0). Well, all good things must come to an end, and unfortunately for the scorps that’s what is going to happen to their season.  Oakdale is undefeated.  This isn’t like going undefeated in Baltimore County.  Frederick County is the Big 10 of high school football in Maryland.  7 of their 10 teams are still in the playoffs, and Oakdale has beaten all of them.  They’ve beaten last years state champ Milford Mill.  They have scored 40 or more points in their last 7 games.  Oh, did I mention they have 3 D1 commits including one to Michigan?  OM, it was fun watching you win 5 straight at the end of the year, but it’s time to hang it up.  Oakdale running clock.  

BALTIMORE CITY COLLEGE (7-4) @ MOUNT HEBRON (8-2).  I’m going with the Vikings here, but it’s not gonna be easy for them.  They will need to grind out the clock and ground and pound this city team into a pulp to have a chance to win.  City will bring an impressive passing attack from junior Qb Nicholas Cyrus.  I’m not sure if they have much of a run game.  Hebron will probably go with a 2 high look and man up underneath.  If they can pressure with 4 that’s the sweet spot.  I don’t see city being able to slow down the Hebron run game.  Vikings in a close one.  

WILDE LAKE (6-5) @ STEPHEN DECATUR (11-0). Wilde lake is another team that has had a nice post season run.  And as much I’d like to be a HOCO homer, I just don’t see them beating this undefeated Decatur team.  Sure you can say the shore teams don’t play as strong a schedule, sure you can say river hill running clocked Decatur in 2010 when Coach Van decided to have his second child (Stephanie Decatur), but this team seems different.  They have an SEC commit lined up at QB.  (Brycen Coleman). He’s committed as a WR,  but his hudl doesn’t lie-the kids legit.  They haven’t scored under 30 points all season.  I know WL is scrappy like their HC, and I know I sure like watching #26 run the rock, but I’m going with Decatur by one score. 

• 85Knight likes this

#9 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 11:04 AM

WEEK 3 HOWARD COUNTY PLAYOFFS

3 Howard County teams remain. Will any survive? Only 1 game within the county and it’s Hebron on Saturday. Yes the Vikings are playing a high level playoff game on Saturday afternoon BECAUSE THERE IS A PLAY FRIDAY NIGHT. Can we not have 2 events at a school at the same time? We’ve done it plenty of times at RH. Unbelievable-now I can’t go to the game because I’m going to MD/Michigan.

OAKLAND MILLS (5-6) @ OAKDALE (11-0). Well, all good things must come to an end, and unfortunately for the scorps that’s what is going to happen to their season. Oakdale is undefeated. This isn’t like going undefeated in Baltimore County. Frederick County is the Big 10 of high school football in Maryland. 7 of their 10 teams are still in the playoffs, and Oakdale has beaten all of them. They’ve beaten last years state champ Milford Mill. They have scored 40 or more points in their last 7 games. Oh, did I mention they have 3 D1 commits including one to Michigan? OM, it was fun watching you win 5 straight at the end of the year, but it’s time to hang it up. Oakdale running clock.

BALTIMORE CITY COLLEGE (7-4) @ MOUNT HEBRON (8-2). I’m going with the Vikings here, but it’s not gonna be easy for them. They will need to grind out the clock and ground and pound this city team into a pulp to have a chance to win. City will bring an impressive passing attack from junior Qb Nicholas Cyrus. I’m not sure if they have much of a run game. Hebron will probably go with a 2 high look and man up underneath. If they can pressure with 4 that’s the sweet spot. I don’t see city being able to slow down the Hebron run game. Vikings in a close one.

WILDE LAKE (6-5) @ STEPHEN DECATUR (11-0). Wilde lake is another team that has had a nice post season run. And as much I’d like to be a HOCO homer, I just don’t see them beating this undefeated Decatur team. Sure you can say the shore teams don’t play as strong a schedule, sure you can say river hill running clocked Decatur in 2010 when Coach Van decided to have his second child (Stephanie Decatur), but this team seems different. They have an SEC commit lined up at QB. (Brycen Coleman). He’s committed as a WR, but his hudl doesn’t lie-the kids legit. They haven’t scored under 30 points all season. I know WL is scrappy like their HC, and I know I sure like watching #26 run the rock, but I’m going with Decatur by one score.

I think Mt. Hebron will have to score in the high 30's to keep up with City. If they can do that on the ground more power to them. I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

#10 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 05:04 PM

42-7 City. I didn't think Mt. Hebron could keep up with City's offense and that's how it played out. Too much speed for Hebron. This was a mismatch.
  • Tomgruneberg likes this

#11 Tomgruneberg

Tomgruneberg
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 07:21 PM

Playoff week 3 postmortem.  

I ended up 10-5 for the playoffs.  I did even worse here than the regular season! 

I really don’t have much to say.  Our 3 remaining teams all got smoked in this round.  I thought Mt Hebron would be able to keep City off the field with a ground attack but it appears they could not.  Sorry, I couldn’t make it to the game, since I went to see UMD nearly knock off the wolverines.  I hope Michigan wins it all so I can say I saw them live.  City rolls 42-7.  Oakdale destroys Oakland mills as expected 56-6.  Oakdale really should win it all-wow, what a bold prediction.  Stephen Decatur smashes Wilde Lake 52-7.  Most likely, the best Decatur team in history.  

Howard County football is over for 2023, time for coaches and players to start getting ready for 2024.  The All-County team has been voted on by the coaches, and should be in the news soon.  Enjoy the holidays everyone.  It’s been great talking smack for the entire season.

• SonicAttack likes this

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 November 2023 - 07:45 PM

Eagles by 82
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note