#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 11:56 AM

Caps have 3 pp goals in 18 games, oof.

But didn't they go like 10 games without allowing one either? 

@BSLMikeRandall

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 November 2023 - 12:02 PM

But didn't they go like 10 games without allowing one either? 

I think they are no. 1 in Penalty Kill and dead last in PP in the league. It's really weird, especially since defense is where we are weak, but I think the issue is that our forwards are horrible at defense more than our defensemen and people are getting slow.

• Mike in STL likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#24 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 December 2023 - 09:22 AM

https://russianmachi...TflGgRIHexVGxis

Here's a great write up on where things stand so far, spoiler not good. 

#25 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 02:46 PM

Sounds like there's a chance of the Caps and Wizards moving to Arlington, VA in a few years.

Monumental Sports could move Capitals, Wizards to new Virginia complex - The Washington Post

#26 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 06:16 AM

Lame

#27 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 07:19 PM

Sounds like it's a done deal, and the announcement is coming tomorrow morning.

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 December 2023 - 07:20 PM

Leonsis wands OUT of cap 1 arena

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 09:51 AM

Leonsis wands OUT of cap 1 arena

He can't stand those "common folk" making noise outside his office window.

Literally what he complained about when he complained about wanting to move to VA.

Makes things look more likely for new RFK stadium though. DC can't afford to let everyone leave.

@JeremyMStrain

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 December 2023 - 09:59 AM

He can't stand those "common folk" making noise outside his office window.

Literally what he complained about when he complained about wanting to move to VA.

Makes things look more likely for new RFK stadium though. DC can't afford to let everyone leave.

Why not?

It's not like they're moving far away (it's 6 miles away from Cap 1) so I wouldn't think this would be all that politically damaging and there's still the Nats and the soccer stadium. Plus football is the least impactful major sport to the municipality that hosts it.

#31 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:19 AM

Why not?

It's not like they're moving far away (it's 6 miles away from Cap 1) so I wouldn't think this would be all that politically damaging and there's still the Nats and the soccer stadium. Plus football is the least impactful major sport to the municipality that hosts it.

Tax breaks, and other hidden benefits cities get for having large venues and teams like this. It's not a coincidence VA is pushing to sneak in even if it's only a few miles away from the current location, it's all about it being in their "state". They have a lot of concern what they are going to do with that area now as well. Places that moved in there because of the proximity to the constant use arena will pull out. Will be interesting to see what they do with it overall.

Navy Yard already gets some grief because it's like they never quite went all the way with the project if I recall complaints. Money or whatever the issues were there was more development that was supposed to happen and didn't. (Details came out either in the Nats potential sale or the MASN dispute, I forget which) and even putting the cool soccer stadium there, it's not enough to leverage the area to high end, especially with the Metro difficulties. I see people turn down tickets to both all the time because it's a pain to get down there and out again...now wait til this new place gets done on one of the major routes in and out...traffic is going to be a disaster when the 3 seasons overlap March-June.

I think DC needs the area redone, or I should say finished redone, because they reworked a chunk of the surrounding area a while back, and a domed stadium that can hold concerts and events year round, would create a pretty good crux for development with good Metro Access (works better for Football Schedule, less late night games).

Just think it'll be bad for the city not knowing specifics but knowing there are things tied to having places like FBI, Pro Sports teams etc. in your state, and having reportedly lost out on FBI, and now Wiz/Caps, that's a blow for DC.

@JeremyMStrain

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:27 AM

I agree that losing the Wiz/Caps is a blow (is it worth it to spend what it takes to keep them is a different matter), but I don't think that should mean that they should feel an urgency to build a football stadium. A booked arena has a lot more value to a city than a football stadium.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:44 AM

Just spent the weekend in DC including going to the Georgetown/Syracuse game at Cap1. What a bummer this is. I love that part of the city. And the traffic the arena brings to it is part of what made it so vibrant. The arena is only 26 years old and IMO in great shape.
  • mweb08 likes this

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:49 AM

Just spent the weekend in DC including going to the Georgetown/Syracuse game at Cap1. What a bummer this is. I love that part of the city. And the traffic the arena brings to it is part of what made it so vibrant. The arena is only 26 years old and IMO in great shape.

It's definitely a bummer. I hate how much money we are collectively paying to build and upgrade sports facilities that are already good.

#35 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:50 AM

By today's billionaire standards, 26 years old is ancient.  Eventually owners will start demanding new arenas/stadiums every 10 years.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#36 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 01:58 PM

I think the Cap Centre also lasted about 25 years, so I guess that's the lifespan.  And apparently Leonsis has been complaining for years that it's completely unfair for him to actually have to pay the mortgage on a building he owns.

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 02:44 PM

I went to the first game in DC at the new arena. That was back in 97 but it's crazy that they're leaving already.

30 years does seem to be the life expectancy for stadiums and arenas.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 04:30 PM

I went to the first game in DC at the new arena. That was back in 97 but it's crazy that they're leaving already.

30 years does seem to be the life expectancy for stadiums and arenas.

That number should be going up for more recent stadiums/arenas. It was more understandable for a lot of the older stadiums that lacked certain key elements and design features and/or were just the crap cookie cutter stadiums. Like Ricker said though, Cap 1 still holds up.

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 December 2023 - 05:43 PM

Seems like the trend now with stadiums/arenas is to have more open "social" spaces instead of standard seating (like what the Ravens just unveiled). That and bigger, more elaborate video boards. Figure that's the sort of thing a renovation to a place like Cap One Ctr could cover, but it sounds like Leonsis is getting all kinds of money other development opportunities from VA (eat your heart out, John Angelos) to just build a new one there.

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 10:35 AM

That number should be going up for more recent stadiums/arenas. It was more understandable for a lot of the older stadiums that lacked certain key elements and design features and/or were just the crap cookie cutter stadiums. Like Ricker said though, Cap 1 still holds up.

Yeah, it was almost amusing to me that Ted only complained about the surroundings, neighborhood and locals when he had anything bad to say. Overall it's still in really good shape, the design still works well. The only thing I could argue design wise is the combined NBA/NHL places lead to really poor ice conditions, and ours are one of the worst in the league, but building another combo place probably isn't going to do much about that unless there's some new technology to keep the ice colder I don't know about.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=