#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 October 2023 - 05:15 PM

No juice for this years team? I read they’re the second oldest team in the league.

Pretty much waiting for 8 to break Gretzky and then blow it up properly?

https://russianmachi...after-14-years/

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 October 2023 - 05:15 PM

Pens walloped them game 1. Game 2 tonight against Calgary downtown

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 05:45 AM

Didn't get to see the first game (F ESPN+), but last night was a good bounceback after down 2-0.

At this point I'm hoping for a wildcard spot.

#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 October 2023 - 08:49 AM

No juice for this years team? I read they’re the second oldest team in the league.

Should have never let Trotz go. 

Hockey is the ultimate, "just get to the playoffs" sport. Everyone has a chance. Plus the playoffs are like 6 weeks long.

New coaching staff could make things interesting. They basically hired the equivalent of a sexy offensive coordinator in the NFL to be their head coach.

@BSLMikeRandall

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 October 2023 - 02:00 PM

You kinda hit it on the head. 2nd oldest team in the league, and were the oldest before they added McMichael.

They have a little bit of talent in the minors. Missed their window to trade off some older-underperforming players and mix in some youth when Lavi was being a moron. Nick had years shaved off his career with that hip injury.

Defense is a problem. Carlson is getting old, and they are very offense heavy. Need a balance of DEFENSE first players and offense, can't go with 5 offensive guys and then are shocked when we give up a ton of shots and goals. GK are both solid players, but begs the question of if you need BOTH of them. This is a thing across the NHL though, is it better to have a 1A and 1B where it's hard for them to get in a groove and get going cause they are kinda constantly battling for playing time, OR is it better to have a workhorse and a backup for a change of pace/15g per year kinda guy? I'm not even sure how I feel about it. For years the latter worked everywhere. But injuries suck, and your GK getting hurt can tank your season fast.

They still have a good shot at the playoffs, and like you said, it's anyone's game there...especially a veteran team with a good GK. BUT that's a long grind to get there, and can these older guys get there healthy?

@JeremyMStrain

#6 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 05:57 AM

Last night showed they have a long way to go on defense.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2023 - 07:32 AM

We’re really bad.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2023 - 08:01 AM

Ovi failed to record a SOG in back to back games for the first time in his career.

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 10:30 AM

We’re really bad.

Yeah. It's not good. I've been following but haven't been watching, kids sports and all, so I don't know if it's a system thing like with Lavi, or just not good defensive player thing.

We talked about it some last year, it doesn't help that our offense isn't helping the D, they are not good defensive players, and he's using his 3rd line, or what most teams put together as a checking line, the one that plays defense and shuts down the other team's top lines, as a 3rd offensive line instead.

Add that to poor defensive players and you've got a problem. They should find a team looking for some offense on D, and trade them for a solid defensive guy. I'd be looking for a top flight defensive guy too. These guys are the top in the league, but probably not going anywhere. The 5th spot tends to change year to year, but the other 4 have been top 5 for at least 3 years running.

1) Patrice Bergeron 2) Elias Pettersson 3) Nico Hischier 4) Mitch Marner 5) Anže Kopitar

@JeremyMStrain

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 11:30 AM

Yeah. It's not good. I've been following but haven't been watching, kids sports and all, so I don't know if it's a system thing like with Lavi, or just not good defensive player thing.

We talked about it some last year, it doesn't help that our offense isn't helping the D, they are not good defensive players, and he's using his 3rd line, or what most teams put together as a checking line, the one that plays defense and shuts down the other team's top lines, as a 3rd offensive line instead.

Add that to poor defensive players and you've got a problem. They should find a team looking for some offense on D, and trade them for a solid defensive guy. I'd be looking for a top flight defensive guy too. These guys are the top in the league, but probably not going anywhere. The 5th spot tends to change year to year, but the other 4 have been top 5 for at least 3 years running.

1) Patrice Bergeron 2) Elias Pettersson 3) Nico Hischier 4) Mitch Marner 5) Anže Kopitar

Should Wilson be on the first line? He seems like the kind of guy you're talking about that should be on the checking line. 

Is Wilson on the first line as an enforcer to protect Ovi. Or he stays out of trouble on the scoring line whereas on the checking line he's got enough strikes that's he'll be suspended for a week if another player falls down in his vicinity. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#11 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 19 October 2023 - 11:57 AM

Should Wilson be on the first line? He seems like the kind of guy you're talking about that should be on the checking line. 

Is Wilson on the first line as an enforcer to protect Ovi. Or he stays out of trouble on the scoring line whereas on the checking line he's got enough strikes that's he'll be suspended for a week if another player falls down in his vicinity. 

That's an interesting debate right there. For me and the NHL I grew up watching, he would be a 3rd liner, but one of the most offensive 3rd liners in the NHL. Growing up he's like...Rick Tocchet? Travis Green? Cam Neely? Bill Guerin? That one is probably the winner. Bill Guerin, super strong power forward, 20-30 goal scorer, not afraid to mix it up. OH, Keith Tkachuck...there's another good one...and he should sound familiar for a lot of you cause his kids are currently tearing up the NHL. Generally your top ice time forwards would be your top line, because they play PP as well, and then your checking line, cause you are trying to shut down the other team's top line who are out a lot. Then your 2nd line actually gets the 3rd most ice time, and then the 4th line gets like 5-10 min.

Another approach would be put one good defensive player on each line, and sacrifice a little offense overall. But teams are trying to use their 4th lines like checking lines these days, but those are supposed to be your special lines like face offs PK guys etc. They only play like 7 min a game. If that's all your defense...the other 53 min is ugly.

• Mike in STL likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 20 October 2023 - 02:39 PM

All that mentioned and they immediately called up a D from Hershey. Although I thought he was more of an offensive defenseman, so I guess we will see.
@JeremyMStrain

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 07:37 PM

You out shoot a team 37-17 and lose 4-1. SMH.
@BSLMikeRandall

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2023 - 09:11 PM

Caps beat a very good NJ team on the road 6-4. Ovi notched an empty netter and has scored in B2B games now. Defense remains dreadful. But nice win. Good to see Ovi get going a bit. Doing a lot of the little things right too.
  • JeremyStrain and DuffMan like this

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2023 - 09:13 PM

Rookie Keeper Hunter Shepard (27) notched his first career win tonight as well. Lindgren was placed on IR yesterday.

#16 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 05:21 AM

Caps beat a very good NJ team on the road 6-4. Ovi notched an empty netter and has scored in B2B games now. Defense remains dreadful. But nice win. Good to see Ovi get going a bit. Doing a lot of the little things right too.

Certainly a tale of three periods.  Fortunately the Caps were good in 2 of the 3.

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 09:14 AM

Yeah he had 14 shots on goal in one of those games too, that's a plus after not getting any in 2.

Rasmus hurt last night too.

I sent Duffman an interesting article the other day, it was talking about the skating speed of all the Caps and where they are to league average, it is really telling. Our best skater is Fehver, and he's at like 80th percentile. Ovi was dead last on offense. But overall the whole team is slow which is why they get beat so badly on D. I mean besides some of the forwards having zero interest in playing D to begin with (Kuzy) and being too slow to be effective now (Nick). I think that's why you've seen him move Strome up top so he can help defensively with Ovi losing a step and Nick to the 3rd with other good defensive players.

I really think they should punt some offense and go target some top flight defensive players, O and D. If not you're just going to keep running out the clock until Ovis done and you go full rebuild.

@JeremyMStrain

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 09:45 AM

Ovi looks tired out there. After the empty netter he was on the bench sucking wind. Noticed in another game he’s on the bench huffing and puffing after not even that long a shift.

I don’t know about recently but I know he’s been kind of a party animal in the offseason. Maybe his conditioning isn’t the best in this early going. You have to work harder the older you get. Remember Ray Lewis talking about his offseason regiment was harder in his final years than it was in his prime because it had to be to keep up with the young guys, or he’d get swallowed up out there.

I wonder if Ovi walks away at the end of the season he breaks the record. 70 to go!
@BSLMikeRandall

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 November 2023 - 09:36 AM

O man, is this it for #19?!  :sad:

#20 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:02 AM

O man, is this it for #19?!  :sad:

Yeah I think it really is. But that $$$ may be what turns things around...gotta see what they do with it.

@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=