86 replies to this topic

#81 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 07:17 AM

The easiest option would be to just use Urias as a bridge to Holliday. Mateo and/or Frazier could also be brought back to keep the gang together.

I'd be good with Urias in that role even though it's not particularly exciting as long as they allocate more considerable resources elsewhere to improve the team.

Agree.  I'm fine with Urias as utility infielder behind Gunnar, Westburg and Ortiz to start the year.  Would prefer an upgrade, but Urias isn't a liability.  If they choose to upgrade elsewhere instead, I'm fine with that, but they have to actually do that.

#82 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 November 2023 - 09:52 AM

Agree. I'm fine with Urias as utility infielder behind Gunnar, Westburg and Ortiz to start the year. Would prefer an upgrade, but Urias isn't a liability. If they choose to upgrade elsewhere instead, I'm fine with that, but they have to actually do that.

Well what you say is actually even easier than what I'm saying, which is Urias would be a primary starter until Holliday is brought up and Ortiz (or Westburg) would be traded this offseason. They could upgrade on Urias, but that's not as easy or likely for them.

I say trust in Elias to trade the young infielder that's ultimately going to lose out to the others before that happens and he loses value. There's no good reason imo to have Gunnar, Jackson, Jordan, and Joey all on the O's for years to come. The primary role besides injury insurance for the non starter would be to give one of the lefties the day off against a tough lefty. There's not much more reason to play him unless you just want to basically split time between Jordan and Joey, which isn't an optimal way to utilize valuable assets and isn't great for them either.

Otherwise, as we've discussed before, you could start Ortiz to open the season and there is a possibility he, Westburg, Henderson, and Holliday (in AAA) are all healthy and productive to the point where you have one of those good problems to have with Jackson knocking on the door but not having much room for him. Then you could trade someone while their value is still high or you could make dude really happy and hold Holliday back longer.

More likely though, someone is either unproductive or unhealthy enough to make way for the #1 prospect and then you could trade that player at a reduced value or he becomes a talented young player without enough opportunity.

A middle ground approach would be to trade Westburg or Ortiz, start the other, and let the less valuable prospect (Norby) get opportunity to start the year with Urias there as insurance.

#83 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 10:02 AM

I think Urias continues to regress. Hes only Arb 1 so you can make him fit but I really dont like the idea of him here in '23.
  • You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#84 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 November 2023 - 10:52 AM

I think Urias continues to regress. Hes only Arb 1 so you can make him fit but I really dont like the idea of him here in '23.

I wonder if we could get a usable BP piece for Urias.  If not I suspect he is not offered arbitration.

@mikeghg

#85 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 12:41 PM

I wonder if we could get a usable BP piece for Urias.  If not I suspect he is not offered arbitration.

I don't think the O's could get anything for Urias.  That said, they need a solid, utility infielder that fits O's budget (low) and Ramon fills that as good/better than most of the FAs.  Who would be better, Josh Donaldson or Nick Ahmed, maybe Whit Merrifield?  Frazier is gone most likely.  

#86 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 12:50 PM

I don't think the O's could get anything for Urias.  That said, they need a solid, utility infielder that fits O's budget (low) and Ramon fills that as good/better than most of the FAs.  Who would be better, Josh Donaldson or Nick Ahmed, maybe Whit Merrifield?  Frazier is gone most likely.  

You don’t necessarily need MLB experience to fill a utility / bench IF spot. Urias fits that bill fine enough. The notion the O’s need another Adam Frazier to bring MLB experience to this club was always crap (they had/have it in Mullins, Santander, and now Adley). 

#87 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 02:03 PM

You don’t necessarily need MLB experience to fill a utility / bench IF spot. Urias fits that bill fine enough. The notion the O’s need another Adam Frazier to bring MLB experience to this club was always crap (they had/have it in Mullins, Santander, and now Adley). 

I agree Mullins and Santander are good vets, but Adam Frazier def brought a professional game/attitude that the younger O's needed and learned well from.  Adam Frazier is a very good player.  I would not be opposed to upgrading to Merrifield, he is a very solid player and would love him as a ultil guy.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=