• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 09:01 AM

If you want to make the jump you can’t lose games like that at home. People should be pissed. That was an awful loss and I don’t even follow MD football.

Absolutely.

#142 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, tough loss.  That Prather TO was and Jones drop were killer.  Also, some questionable play calling and use of TOs.  It was a weird w/e in CFB; ND destroyed USC. Not too worried though.  

#143 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 10:40 AM

I’m being serious. I don’t care enough to be mad. When has MD football been anything other than an unserious program? One year under Fridge? When we got curb stomped in the Orange Bowl?

Pass.

There was a time in the 00s where you could get behind them. Where you could conceivably think every game was winnable. Not praying to cover a 30 point spread 3 times a year. It was before the jump to the Big Ten. They had earned a prime time opener against Miami one year. A game I went to, crowd was packed, buzzing, even in the rain, and Maryland won. Pretty sure they had a late season game flexed into prime time being in the hunt for the conference championship. That was the last good team.

Yeah, stomped in the Orange Bowl, but at least got there. Couple of Peach Bowls, Gator Bowl is a decent bowl. Those were nothing to sneeze at.

It pisses me off because Maryland was a school comparable to Clemson in that era. Then Clemson became a national power. Could have easily been Maryland or anyone else. Duke has been more relevant in football than Maryland in recent years. Duke was a doormat in football. Outside the conference, Kentucky was always a doormat. They seem ranked often, beat FLA like 5 straight now? Schools like TCU and Utah go from not in the power 5, beating P5 schools given the chance, to jumping into the power 5, and Utah being a really good team, and TCU even making it to the CFP. Probably a handful of other examples.

Meanwhile Maryland just stays at best mediocre, and that’s being generous.

They are irrelevant.
  • CantonJester likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#144 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 04:03 PM

...They had earned a prime time opener against Miami one year. A game I went to, crowd was packed, buzzing, even in the rain, and Maryland won...

Yeah, stomped in the Orange Bowl, but at least got there. Couple of Peach Bowls, Gator Bowl is a decent bowl. Those were nothing to sneeze at...

The Friedgen era remains the most interesting MD football period of my lifetime. I was pretty young on the back end of the Bobby Ross years. I was a fan of him too, but Fridge seemed to field the closest thing to a legit top tier NCAA football team.

Wasn't that Miami opener you mention the one where a Terp DB picked off a pass and ran it back for a basically game ending TD... and instead of enjoying the thrill of the moment and talking about his better option the next day... Edsall decided to lay in to the DB as he was coming off the field because he didn't go down instead of scoring?

Way to ingratiate yourself with the youngsters Randy...

#145 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 04:05 PM

The Friedgen era remains the most interesting MD football period of my lifetime. I was pretty young on the back end of the Bobby Ross years. I was a fan of him too, but Fridge seemed to field the closest thing to a legit top tier NCAA football team.

Wasn't that Miami opener you mention the one where a Terp DB picked off a pass and ran it back for a basically game ending TD... and instead of enjoying the thrill of the moment and talking about his better option the next day... Edsall decided to lay in to the DB as he was coming off the field because he didn't go down instead of scoring?

Way to ingratiate yourself with the youngsters Randy...

It was that game.
@BSLMikeRandall

#146 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 04:11 PM

Haven't cracked the top 20 since 2003. Have been ranked in the top 25 but for one week since 2013, and then promptly lost to Temple.

Zero enthusiasm for this program.

#147 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,118 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 04:13 PM

Fridge firing was a disaster. Granted things had gotten meh under him too. Curious to know what wouldve happened if the orginal plan to hand it to Franklin went through. I dont think MD woulda been anything special but he might have made them more of that consisntent top 20 program like it was under Fridge at the beginning. Everything MD football since Kevin Anderson has been a disaster.

#148 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 October 2023 - 05:12 PM

This program is a master at the art of self-sabotage.

#149 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 08:13 PM

I don't follow Maryland football all that closely, but I imagine things aren't going to get any easier with Oregon, Washington and USC coming into the conference.

#150 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 10:59 PM

I just can't imagine anyone who has more than a casual fan interest in Maryland football. Not that being national title contenders is everything, but it's always nice to follow a team that you feel could have a chance.

Maryland football will never be in the conference title contention, much less the national picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=