BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Chris, feel free to copy-and-paste for your blog post:

Terps lose to Georgia Tech 33-13

The Good: The Terps looked sharp running out of the tunnel in the black version of their "MD Pride" uniforms.

The Bad: Everything from that point on.

The Ugly: There's still three weeks left to this train wreck.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

UMD loses to GT; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
http://baltimorespor...ife.com/?p=5120

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

At this point, I guess you spend the last three games looking for bright spots for next season. Problem is, I can't come up with much. Obviously you want them to continue to play hard and try to win. But consider:

Offensively, Petty (and whomever else may play QB) will go back to their normal positions next year, so any improvement there doesn't mean anything going forward. We know Diggs is a special player, so he doesn't have anything left to prove from this point on. Likewise they have some nice RBs, so nothing to prove there. With the QB situation, the rest of the receiving corps will probably be a non-factor from here on out. The OL is awful, so I guess the one thing I'd like to see is improvement out of that unit.

Defensively, they will lose 7 starters after this season. So no matter what happens the rest of this season the defense is going to have a lot of new, inexperienced players next year.

I think the biggest thing to root for from now on is NO MORE INJURIES!

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

I think the thing to watch is all the young players getting reps. I actually thought the Oline did okay today based on GT playing 9 to 10 guys in the box. GT did not have any respect for Maryland passing. I thought Maryland OL got good surge from the second Qtr. on.
The kids kept playing hard, and young guys getting exp. will help a lot next year.

The kicking game is a mess right now. I want to see someone show they belong both in place kicking and punting.

BTW, Diggs is terrific.
@mikeghg

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

1 game closer to the end of the Edsall era, which with all things considered might be the worst ever.

#6 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Yup. Definitely all Edsall's fault :roll:

Imagine a team next year of a healthy CJB, Wes Brown, Diggs, Leak, and an experienced O-line.

Defense will suffer some due to graduation, but they have a ton of youngsters ready to step in.

The only worry you have is recruits looking at the team's record this year and not considering the ridiculous amount of injuries that went into it. I wish they would've won those NC state and BC games, both of which they should have won, so they'd at least get to a bowl. The team is moving in the right direction to anyone who is paying attention, but a 4-8 record is easy to recruit against.

But ultimately I agree with Birds of B'more regarding this season. There's just not much left to watch for. We know what Brown, Diggs, etc. are capable of. I guess it would be good to see some of the younger defensive players get some reps.

#7 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

1 game closer to the end of the Edsall era, which with all things considered might be the worst ever.

I am sorry, but I disagree. I don't think Edsall is going anywhere and I do not think he is a bad coach. He has been recruiting well and has all the right coaches in place. With a healthy team this season, with CJB playing and everything clicking, this is a bowl caliber team and we would not be discussing this. I think he deserves another season because the offense is returning everyone essentially. This could be a dangerous offense next season. I think we all like Locksley, but where does he go if Edsall goes? Do we want our in state recruiter going somewhere else? I don't. I also like Brian Stewart at defensive coordinator. He has a proven track record. I say give him another season. If we underachieve next season, hook him. One more year though I say.
@Langley486

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I hate Edsall, but I can't imagine them firing him after this season. The team started decently with an actual QB (true frosh, even) but the injuries are gonna give them an easy scapegoat to avoid bringing the axe down on Edsall's neck.

Even losing their final 6 games (which is an absolute lock, no chance this team wins again), I don't see Edsall falling just yet, though I really hope they do cut their losses and move on.

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Technically speaking, bnickle is right. We are one game closer to the end of the Edsall era, whenever that may be. But you can say that about every coach after every game.....and for better or worse, Edsall's tenure is obviously not going to end after this season.

#10 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

I hate Edsall, but I can't imagine them firing him after this season. The team started decently with an actual QB (true frosh, even) but the injuries are gonna give them an easy scapegoat to avoid bringing the axe down on Edsall's neck.

Even losing their final 6 games (which is an absolute lock, no chance this team wins again), I don't see Edsall falling just yet, though I really hope they do cut their losses and move on.

Yeah, no chance Edsall is fired after this year even with a 4-8 record.

Last year the excuse was Friedgen left a mess. This year it will obviously be the QB's. Next year they might get lucky and win 6 games. Then they'll probably fire him after they win 4 or 5 in year 4, after 4 years of total irrelevance which probably sets the program back 7-8 years in total. Certainly enough to warrant Kevin Anderson's firing.
@PeterDiLutis

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Well Maryland had ONE bowl appearance between 1986 and 2000, there's definitely some competition (http://en.wikipedia.... ... ll_seasons). Did you think this was Notre Dame? :lol:
@levineps

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Technically speaking, bnickle is right. We are one game closer to the end of the Edsall era, whenever that may be. But you can say that about every coach after every game.....and for better or worse, Edsall's tenure is obviously not going to end after this season.

That's the truth and an interesting way of looking at it! ;)
@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

I'm the last one to use injuries as an excuse, but considering they are starting a scout team LB at QB, I actually think it's pretty legitimate. And the QB position is kind of important. If an NFL team was on their 3rd QB for the bulk of their season, I'm sure their fans would think it was a legitimate excuse. At the beginning of the season when CJ Brown went down, it seemed like everyone wasn't giving them a chance to win more than a few games. And the W&M result, made me think that might be the only one.

I said after the Terps went to 4-2, he had earned another year barring disaster. And the disaster, I was thinking was going to be getting blown out in the ensuing games with largely the same players including a "real" QB. They owe Edsall I believe $6 million after this year. If they do very bad next year, I could see it possibly happening. But even then, I'm not sure, given how much trouble the Athletic Department is. If Kevin Plank wants to fund his departure, sure, but that might be the only case, I could see.
@levineps

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Well Maryland had ONE bowl appearance between 1986 and 2000, there's definitely some competition (http://en.wikipedia.... ... ll_seasons). Did you think this was Notre Dame? :lol:

Seriously, as bad as I've felt about Edsall the past two years, even if this team loses out they will have to win fewer than three games next season to be worse than the first three years of Mark Duffner. From 1966-71 they won THIRTEEN games in SIX seasons.

Edsall may not survive next season, but short a bottoming-out and self-destruction reminiscent of last season this certainly won't be the "worst" era of Maryland football. Most disappointing, to be sure, but not worst.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Seriously, as bad as I've felt about Edsall the past two years, even if this team loses out they will have to win fewer than three games next season to be worse than the first three years of Mark Duffner. From 1966-71 they won THIRTEEN games in SIX seasons.

Edsall may not survive next season, but short a bottoming-out and self-destruction reminiscent of last season this certainly won't be the "worst" era of Maryland football. Most disappointing, to be sure, but not worst.

I agree with that, especially coming from the Fridgen era which by MD standards was the best one since the Ross era. I guess it's a good thing that some people have such high expectations, but I think you have to be a bit realistic about the limits of MD football, Fridge alluded to that as he was leaving.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=